Houzz Logo Print
go_suga

Removing kitchen pantry advice

Go Suga
hace 2 años

Sorry first timer here and never done this before so not really sure which trades person we should be contacting.

Basically wanting to renovate our town house kitchen. Currently it has this massive old pantry and ideally we want to remove it so we have more space to install new kitchen. Did contact few builders on Houzz today and waiting on reply but wanted to see if anyone here had similar job done and how much it cost and if there’s any helpful things to know about.

Below is the pantry photo
2615mm tall, 1090 wide and 1095 deep

Comentarios (21)

• dreamer
    hace 2 años

Are the walls brick or timber studs, around the pantry?

• dreamer
    hace 2 años

If you don’t know, then knock on the wall of pantry, if timber studs it will sound hollow. If it is brick in will be a solid sound.

Go Suga agradeció a dreamer
  • dreamer
    hace 2 años

If timber studs, once electrical is disconnected from power point on pantry wall, and assume inside light, you can remove this yourself with a sledgehammer.

Go Suga agradeció a dreamer
  • Go Suga
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

thank u Dreamer! i just knocked and sounded hollow i think its timber stud

• Go Suga
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Alright its that easy is it? didnt know thanks for that:)

• me me
    hace 2 años

You will then need a gyprocker to redo the walls and ceiling cornice.

• dreamer
    hace 2 años

But make sure all your electrical services have been DISCONNECTED, not just turned off.

• dreamer
    hace 2 años

Also you said you are in a townhouse. Is there a body corporate, if so, you will have to inform them of any changes, and get approval.

• Go Suga
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank u me me! Yes guessing its going to make fair bit of mess me doing it so defiantly needs fixing

• Go Suga
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Disconnect power got u dreamer thanks for that and yep will speak to body corp and get approval.

• bigreader
    hace 2 años

Doing your own demo is fun:
    After the electrics and body Corp as above.

Remove the door
    Remove any internal shelves
    Remove the skirts and architraves
    Remove the cornice
    Cut the plaster with a box cutter along the wall you are keeping.
    You can then pull/peel the plaster off.
    After that you’ll have the framing skeleton exposed.
    Starting at the top you can start removing the studs and wood frame.

Go slowing and carefully.
    If you’re more of a visual person there are videos on YouTube.

• Go Suga
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank u for the detailed steps bigreader! Yes am a visual person so will look for some vids on YouTube thanks for the advice!🙏

• me me
    hace 2 años

I removed a similar pantry many years ago. I did it the way big reader suggested. Much better than using a sledgehammer like the renovation tv shows.

Go Suga agradeció a me me
  • bigreader
    hace 2 años

Me me. Sometimes I’m sensible but I do like the sledgehammer also. It’s great stress release (but sadly really better for when there is whole room demo). I’ve just been using the pressure cleaner and anything standing still has been cleaned.

Go Suga agradeció a bigreader
  • Go Suga
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

thank u guys all for valuable info🙏

• PRO
    Compass Kitchens
    hace 2 años

Hi, Go Suga, we do this type of work all the time. If you are renovating your kitchen in the process I suggest that you talk to a Kitchen company that do full renovations, including remedial structural work like this. Taking out this wall may not be a simple as you are being led to believe. This wall may be supporting a load from above, so this is actually the first thing you need to check.

With all the advice given, no one has discussed how you deal with the holes in the wall and ceiling once the wall is removed and how to actually remove this wall in such a way to minimize damage to adjacent surfaces so to simplify the filling and flushing. This is the hard part.

If you have no real building experience then I suggest you do not do this yourself and engage a professional experienced in this type of work.

Hope this helps. Malcolm

• dreamer
    hace 2 años

Compass kitchens, yes, me me has pointed out the need to repair walls and cornices. And bigreader pointed out to do it slow and carefully. We saved a substantial amount of money, by gutting our kitchen ourselves. We got an electrician and plumber in to shut off services. It was labour only and saved us money to be able to have a custom kitchen installed. Load bearing walls are important, and yes these need to be checked also. But if you are prepared as a home owner, the removal of this small pantry can be done yourself.

• PRO
    Foshan Yubang Cabinets
    hace 2 años

I belive your will have a really great pantry by removing the wall, if those can removed..

Then you will need to consider how to make use of this space.

Bellow are a few types of pantry cabinets for your reference:

• Go Suga
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank u Compass kitchens for super pro advice. Does sound a lot more work than I imagined. I have contacted few pros from Houzz hopefully I can get some idea on how much it would cost us and also if there are any basic works which we might be able to do during the reno process to help reduce cost.

• Go Suga
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks to everyone now I know theres couple of things I need to check before actually doing the demo, body corp and load bearing walls. Once thats all cleared I guess we would still like to get some quotes to see just how much it would cost and weight up wether we do some of the work our self. And if we do decide to do it our self we got bigreaders detailed instructions to demo(slow and carefully:) and then get gyprocker in to fix the walls. Either way we have lot more knowledge now than before I posted this so we’re just really thankful for all the info thanks guys🙏

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.