Houzz Logo Print
geddhedd

Loft Conversion - Painting advice

hace 2 años

Hello,

we are quite a way through our loft conversion and we have got to the point where we need to choose paint colours.

It seem to be the general concensus that you paint your celing a flat white, and your walls whichever colour you like.

But with a loft you have the sloped ceiling. Do most people consider this a wall or a ceiling when it comes to painting. I know this will come down to personal preference but just interested to know what others do.

If anyone has any good advice on paint brands as well this would be very welcome

We just want a nice flat matt for the ceiling, and a very slightly off white for the walls. Like 'Lick 04' or something like that (but aware this is fairly expensive at £38 per 2.5 litre!)

Many thanks

Ged

Comentarios (10)

• hace 2 años

Brilliant, just listened to it now and got my answer. Thanks for sharing!

• hace 2 años

I would have it the same colour. Did my loft room a pale Portland Stone all over the ceiing too and it looks right.

• hace 2 años

Most recently I have used Crown and Dulux ready-mixed paints and Dulux colourmatch. I ended up mixing a load of samples together to get a pale grey pink and then colour matching from that. It's just the colour I wanted.

No problems with any of them as products. All good quality to my mind. Crown "chalky white" is a really nice off white, no  harsh optic white effect just a very very pale grey ish white.  Have also used their "clay white" also very nice. Latter one reads a bit more towards very pale lilac though.

• hace 2 años

Oh and meant to say - congrats on progress so far. It's looking great. Hope it's not been too stressful, if you're thinking paint the end is definitely in sight!

• hace 2 años

Ah thanks Katie. There has definately been some stressful moments! But on the whole (bar a couple of early issues) it has gone fairly smoothly so far (touch wood). I think it's helped me working from home, and also having all the drawings in 3D. Windows are in today which is exciting. Then most of the remaining second fix is happening after Christmas which gives me chance to get some paint on before the floor and skirting go down. I was planning on waiting till it was all finished then posting pictures on those first posts I did to show how the comments on here influenced the build.

Thanks for your comments on the paint. I like the idea of the chalky white. I think we are leaning towards a just off white, and very pale grey sounds ideal so may go that route. We like the idea of very matt, but also need to find something relatively cleanable as we have young kids so also looking to see if anything like that exists (cleanable and matt)

• hace 2 años

For paint try Johnstones from a trade outlet. They will colour match it to other brands and certainly match Farrow and Ball exactly. I have their scrub able which is still good after 3 years. The super matt finish of F&B looks good but is impossible to clean without going shiny and shows every mark.

• PRO
    hace 2 años

Hey! This is a good solution. C1 = Colour 1, C2 = Colour 2. C2 can be darker and cold, C1 can be lighter warm colour or pure white but as you said it will be a personal decision. Good luck!

• hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Not the kind of colours your looking at, but this gives you an idea of how contrasting colours look with slopes painted as ceiling. The biggest problem is the plaster divide may not be in a straight line (or at least mine isnt) so your paint isn't when looking closely but you don't notice after a while. At recomendation of my painter I actually used Albany paint, but it's not scrubable enough for my liking. Please note, picture doesn't look 100% straight as I used my panoramic setting on my phone

• hace 2 años

Thanks Tim, Hiiguru and Arlette. We have got some Johnstones covaplus mixed to match a very slightly off white from Lick. The paint has a really nice finish and goes on really well thanks for the advice Tim. The colour looks slightly too white so think we may go one shade darker for the walls (one in from the left from the paint swatches on the wall) and give it another coat. We have decided to see the sloping ceiling as a wall but thanks for the suggestions Hiiguru and Arlette. I will post the final result when we are back home and finished painting. Currently away seeing family over Christmas.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.