Houzz Logo Print
306princeton

Kitchen Tile Backsplash

Deborah
hace 2 años

Friends -- We need your help. We've waited for 60 days while our GC supposedly waited for his tile installer sub. Now, after spending thousands for

kitchen and a 15 foot backsplash on the butler cabinet, he decides to put his general handyman/painters on the job. Please take a look at the photos. (Tiles haven't been grouted yet). Are these backsplashes installed properly as he purports - or do they need to be reinstalled? That kitchen corner is a real concern to us as well as the uneven/missing tiles in the butler cabinet. Thanks for your perspective and advice. I'll post the butler cabinet photos separately. Looking forward to your input and advice. Thanks.

Comentarios (5)

• PRO
    User
    hace 2 años

That is a complete garbage installation. Demolish and replace.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

where's the butler cabinet?

lets see a picture to the left of the window. how does it end?

So here's what I see,,,

That corner is horrible. even with white grout, it's going to look horrible.

You could probably put a crock in the corner and not notice it. but why should you?

the ends don't even line up properly.

This is poor planning on the layout. he should have measured properly so that he ended up with an un-cut row on the left, so that when it wraps around to the right, he's start with another un-cut row and just continue. But cutting two rows like this look horrible. It can't even be fixed without pulling out one entire side. you could prob do a full row on the left corner and it would look better. but everything to the left would have to be redone.

This one,,uneven cuts where the arrow is. they're cut too short. why did he do the top one perfectly fine, but the next 4 are too short?? lazy.

I realize these are more of a handmade look, so the spaces between the tiles aren't going to be perfect. that's fine.

Arrows are pointing to short cuts and uneven tile line up.

I also have to comment on your window trim. did they do that too? if so, it's a lousy job.

Looks like he caulked the holes, and spread it w/his finger, not bothering to wipe up the excess. instead of trying to sand it off when it dries, he just painted over itI!

When you fill in nail holes, it should be done with wood filler (not caulk) so that it can be sanded smooth. then it's primed, fine sanded again, and then painted. I'm very picky when I do trim and baseboards and always do it like that. you can never see holes, cracks or smudged filler! That needs to be redone because that is LAZY work!

you said you paid thousands. was that for labor and tile? or just labor? I wouldn't pay him a dime for this until all of these issues are fixed, including the trim. It's going to be a redo because there are too many things that would need to be fixed, that corner is a biggy.

whoever you get next time, have them do a dry-layout so that proper measuring is done for that corner!

• Deborah
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks for your help. We paid $2900 for the kitchen and butler cabinet (different photos) backsplashes. I agree with all your points. I needed to make sure I wasn't over reacting to what I see is a very sloppy job.

• PRO
    Catherine Belan
    hace 2 años

Frankly, at this point I'd cut my losses, fire him and find someone new. I get that good help is hard to find right now, I really do - but this is beyond pathetic. Were these individually installed tiles or are they on mosaic mesh? Because those grout joints are horrible and if they are on mesh - it's really really, ahem, *poor* installation. If they are individual tiles then you need someone who knows what they are doing, including using spacers and isn't afraid of a level. I agree with all the items Beth H., pointed out, and then some, but anymore comments and I'll devolve into swearing. Fingers crossed you can get your money back.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

deborah, I hope you haven't paid in full. or even half. I'm sure the contractor took his percentage. you need to have a big talk w/him (show him this article if he balks) and he is responsible for replacing the tile. You need a better tile installer. whether the GC has one, or you want to do this on your own is up to you

showing you really nice chevron installs.

love this tile. its from backsplash.com

https://backsplash.com/product/ba631613-white-modern-marble-chevron-mosaic-backsplash-tile/

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.