Houzz Logo Print
kmedl

Need help with guest bathroom tile and counter selection

kmedl
hace 10 años
We are getting ready to update our guest/powder bathroom and would like input on some of the material choices. We will be tearing out the bathtub surround, the vanity and flooring. The surround will be replaced with a tub and tiled up to the ceiling. The toilet is new, so it stays. Also the mirror and lighting are new and will stay (unless you think the mirror doesn't work, it can be moved else where in the house). My husband picked out the lights, so they stay :) We have picked knotty alder for the vanity, and the picture shows the cabinet style and finish.

We are considering a copper sink and using these slate tiles on the floor. I love the look of the slate, but only in small amounts (like just on the floor). We need ideas on what type of tile would go with the slate and look nice around the tub up to the ceiling. Also need help with what type of counter material would look good on the vanity and go with the slate and copper sink.

He would also like some type of look on the walls besides just paint. We're not thinking tile, maybe some type of beadboard or wood??? He would like this bathroom to have a rustic feel without being overdone.

We have finished remodeling our living room and kitchen and got lots of our ideas from everyone here at Houzz. The kitchen was mostly mine to design, so he's taking on the bathroom. He'd like some help from all of you. Thanks!!

Comentarios (628)

• kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Or, what size for a larger one like carolins just posted?
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    - -
    kmedl agradeció a Carolina
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    I think if you get artwork, that one bigger piece would look good, if you frame some of your photos then a quad would be lovely.
    kmedl agradeció a mefor
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    It does add up, this is one of the prints in a larger size, framed in walnut and matted in a cream color, I think you can pick whatever color you like for that. So the finished size is 32 x 42. It comes to $309.
    kmedl agradeció a mefor
  • Rose Meyer
    hace 10 años
    I think a quad arrangement would be perfect. And if you measure correctly, two of them would be visible and centered with the door open. And all four would look good with the door closed.
    kmedl agradeció a Rose Meyer
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    You've all given us lots of options for the artwork. We're going to sit down and look through these art.com prints and also go out tomorrow and take some nature pics from around here. I'll see what we come up with.
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Sounds like a good plan. You certainly have a lot of options available to you and any of them will look good. Win win!!!! Talk to you soon. :)
    kmedl agradeció a mefor
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Options galore :-) Good luck!
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks to all of you! I'll post some choices we come up with. One thing for sure, we'll take our time with it! We've been in a rush to finish up this guest bathroom and the bedroom in time for company coming in this Friday. Whew! It's been a whirlwind, but at least company can have a working bathroom and an almost decorated bedroom!
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Have a good visit :)
    kmedl agradeció a mefor
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Wow!
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Kmedl, are you still there?
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Think she fainted ;-)
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yes, I'm still here. Had to take the dog for a walk.
  • Rose Meyer
    hace 10 años
    You two are soooo funny!
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    I wanted to ask you a delicate question. Are you keeping this shower curtain as an extra? Or to use in another bathroom?
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Keeping it as an extra. I don't have another bathroom that needs a shower curtain.
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    If you're expecting a gentleman as visitor, very young or very old (sometimes in between), aim is not a priority sometimes. I would put the shower curtain on the other side unless its a lady visiting alone. Delicately speaking, that is. :)
    kmedl agradeció a mefor
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    So you must know my grandson :) :)
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    ;)
    Universal problem
    kmedl agradeció a mefor
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Oh lol.... the things one needs to think of....
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Geez, now I'm freaked out about my nice new shower curtain! I've been looking at some inspiration photos for ideas for the shelf above the toilet. Was thinking rolled up towels/washcloths might be an idea, but now I'm wondering if that might be a problem LOL!!!

Seriously, I am looking for ideas on what to put on the shelf (or more than 1 shelf??) So far I've seen a smaller size picture leaning against the wall, a small alarm clock, a basket with washcloths, a candle, decorative vase of some kind, and tissue holder. What do you think?
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Don't worry about shower curtain, just move it when the guests are the kind that need you to move it, lol.
    Here's a few pics, some of them are for "fluffier" bathrooms than yours, but I wanted you to see a lot of what people do. I would definitely get two or three shelves. :)
    kmedl agradeció a mefor
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    :)
    kmedl agradeció a mefor
  • Laurie Tillett
    hace 10 años
    Put a nice bowl of different gust soaps on your shelf...or a box filled with guest sized toiletries.

Guess I'm a day late/dollar short on the walls discussion, but wanted to say that a grass cloth wallpaper would be elegant and rustic all at the same time. thought you wanted to not paint, but changed your mind I guess. whatever... it Looks great!
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We really do like those shelves from Target. I will measure the bathroom space tomorrow and see how much room we have to work with. I'd like 3 shelves if we could make it work, but that might be too much depending on how much distance we have to put between each one.
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Could be a space for bath salts, guest towels, a nice decorative item, small basket with shampoo, shower gel, bubble bath, shower caps. Oh... you know :-)
    If you put a candle there, put a box with matches in the basket too.
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Today we went to some of the local art shops in town to see if we could find any pictures for the bathroom. We decided we'd like to find 4 photographs of local scenery around us. We found exactly what we had in mind, and the frames are made from reclaimed wood from barns in our area. Now that's interesting! Here are the two we brought home, and the other two we have to pick up in a week or so.

Here's a pic of the wall space above the toilet where I'd like to put some shelves. The width between the wall and mirror is 38" and the height is 54". This is the shelf mforr found that we like.

http://www.target.com/p/modern-shelf-collection/-/A-14451501#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

It comes in 12", 23" and 36". Is the 23" length the best size? Would 2 of them be best?
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    Love the photos and the frames!!
    I think that 23" is perfect and two would be fine. You have enough room for three, but two is nice and simple. Have you given some thought to how you'll dress them?
    kmedl agradeció a mefor
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Well, I was checking the Target shelf dimensions to see how deep it is and I just read the reviews on it and all reviews are terrible :( so I'll have to look for something else similar. I really liked the clean lines of this one. I'm sure there are others out there.

As far as what to put on it, I think a small sized interesting clock would be useful, perhaps some clear jars with bath salts, q tips, cotton balls, basket with washcloths, a collection of handmade soaps...that sort of stuff????
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    That sounds perfect. I'm sorry I didn't notice the ratings or reviews. I'll try to find an alternative. :)
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    What do think of this? Pottery Barn has a little lip on it too. So nothing should fall off too easily. 10" deep

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/holman-shelf/?pkey=cwall-organization&cm_src=wall-organization||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • Michelle Ashby
    hace 10 años
    Hi, that open wall close to the bath tub where you put those two frames, why not maybe try a long mirror for that space, even if its a more narrow one, with dark frame to go with your look maybe something like this? https://www.houzz.com/photos/5401-s-park-terrace-ave-contemporary-living-room-denver-phvw-vp~3170677
    kmedl agradeció a Michelle Ashby
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Love the two pictures and their frames. Perfect! And I do like the PB shelf. But wait with the shelves until you have the pictures up. Maybe you don't need more. Sometimes blank wall is better.
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Here are the 4 pictures we're putting on the wall in the bathroom. If this is the layout, how much space do I put between the pictures? What is the highest up the top row of pictures should be off the floor?
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Have you tried the waterfalls next to each other and the fall trees the same?
    kmedl agradeció a User
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Take the center of the composition and put that at about eye level. Lovely pictures!
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    You could make paper cut outs, the size of the frames, tape them on the wall to see if it's the right height.
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    I believe average eye level is about 58" above the floor.
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Margo - I will arrange them that way with the waterfalls together and see how it looks then take a pic of it.

carolins - I will make the paper cut outs. Center at eye level, that makes sense.
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Does it look better with the 2 waterfalls next to each other? How much space should there be between the pictures?
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I like it better because my eyes are not jumping around. Don't get mad but could you change the photos keeping them with the water on top and the trees on the bottom jus switch sides??
    kmedl agradeció a User
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Just came back to this post before I get ready to hang these up. I think I know what you mean. I'll post a new pic in a few minutes.
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Like this?
  • Nancy Walton
    hace 10 años
    Yes! The main reason for changing the photos is with the photos arranged the way they were before, the orientation led your eye OUT of the arrangement at every edge. The way they are now, your eye is led from upper left to upper right, then down to lower right and across to lower left. Do you understand what I'm saying? It's all about composition.
    kmedl agradeció a Nancy Walton
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    yes I do! Of course I wouldn't have realized it, but that's what makes you guys so fascinating to me. It's all in the little details and the little details all add up. So thanks! I'll go put them up now!
  • User
    hace 10 años
    This last photo shown looks right to me;))
    kmedl agradeció a User
  • kmedl
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Do I have the right amount of space between them?
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Looks good to me :-) i think the 'rule' is about 2 to 3" between frames.
  • User
    hace 8 años

oh, reconsider your copper sink! I have been forced to live with one for 15 years and it is the biggest pain ever. Every drop of water (let alone toothpaste or whiskers) makes a stain. Requires serious every use cleaning. Don't do it!!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.