Houzz Logo Print
webuser_636389795

Could these be asbestos vinyl floor tiles ?

Lawrence Meakins
hace 2 años

Hi,

Wasn't sure which forum to best post this in, just in middle of renovation and lifted carpet in the airing cupboard today ahead of tank being removed and new system being put in so floor boards all need lifting and discovered some thin vinyl like tiles (very thin less than 1mm) on black type adhesive. Had a recent asbestos cement board incident and when reading about that saw some info on vinyl floor tiles, here are some images, what do people reckon - guess they could be asbestos ones - also bit worried about having lifted the carpet that hasn't been moved in years and wandering if could have released anything lying dormant in there ?

Many thanks,

Lawrence

Comentarios (3)

• Avril
    hace 2 años

Yes they could well be, particularly if less than 300 x 300 mm (nb some non asbestos tiles are still being made at this size and larger)

Adhesive was known as black jack which was stopped being used years ago.

Found this article, possibly this company or similar can give you guidance

https://vinteclabs.com/asbestos-floor-tiles-and-asbestos-containing-sheet-flooring/

• PRO
    LCCL Construction
    hace 2 años

possibly get it tested to be sure i think is the best option, i would not try and remove it

• Lawrence Meakins
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Hi,

Thanks for replies, broke some pieces off with a wall paper scraper as advised by testing company and had them tested this morning (£48 for same day) and the mastic/adhesive was clear but the tiles contained chrysolite asbestos, the company seemed pretty relaxed about it whereas I was concerned had released fibres breaking the tile to get samples (I was in proper mask and gloves) - they said almost impossible to release the fibres from breaking them as so well bonded (unlike cement board where apparently more easily released) and this was backed up by removal company that spoke to who just said stick mask on and pull them up (going to chop the floorboards and lift them that way) and don't worry if break. What is weird if you go online there everything points to breaking them releasing fibres, no idea who is right, asked if should get air reassurance test done and they said would be waste of money. So guess what is done is done and will wipe area down and get on with rest of renovation and hope more doesn't show up anywhere unexpected.

Lawrence

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.