Houzz Logo Print
jane_gartlon

Bottom step height on new stairs

Jane
hace 2 años

Just had new staircase installed. After I install my wood floor the bottom step will be 13mm shorter than the rest (yes the measurements were messed up!). How much of a problem will be this be? I am hearing some people say BC will not tolerate more than 1mm variance. Eek.

I am prepared to replace the stairs if I absolutely have to.

Comentarios (6)

• PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    hace 2 años

I wouldn't have thought it would be that noticeable and to fair people get away with a lot worse on building sites. Are you fitting carpet to the stairs because that will raise the rest of the treads in line with the flooring. Also are the stairs spot on for level or is there room to lift them slightly? therefore minimising the 13mm difference.

• rinked
    hace 2 años

Does BC look at the slab/subfloor height or at the finish? (and will they check at all?)

• Jane
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I called BC in the end and they didn't sound too worried when I said it was 13mm. They couldn't recall what the tolerance limit is either! I will go with it.

• Jane
    Autor original
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Thanks, I am still unhappy about the height difference. However the builders are insisting they always (for years apparently) use screed level as finished floor height for stairs despite all the door frames having a 20mm gap under to allow for 'finished floor height'.

• arc3d
    hace 2 años

I think 13mm will go unnoticed.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.