Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

Houzz Live Chat: Kitchen Counter Choices and Materials

Jeannie Nguyen
hace 10 años
Welcome to Houzz Live: Kitchen Counter Choices and Materials!

Today we are talking to some of the top pros on Houzz about some of the basics around choosing the best materials for your kitchen counters. Please welcome...

Jenny Rausch of Karr Bick Kitchen and Bath
http://www.houzz.com/pro/jennyhagin/

Cassia Wyner of CW Design
http://www.houzz.com/pro/cw-design

Cindy Tervola of Tervola Designs
http://www.houzz.com/pro/ctervola

Martha D. Staab of Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen
http://www.houzz.com/pro/remodelworks

Heather Shuster of Renewal Design-Build
http://www.houzz.com/pro/renewaldesignbuild

In addition, all community members are invited to jump in and participate by answering the questions posted.

The format is as follows: We will post questions as comments to this discussion thread. Each question will be prefaced by the question number, for example “Q1)”. For every answer to a particular question, you should use a corresponding label to attribute it back to the question you are answering, for example “A1)”.

Remember to refresh your page to see new questions and answers.

Most importantly, have fun!

Comentarios (142)

• PRO
    Karr Bick Kitchen and Bath
    hace 10 años
    A9)
    Yikes, that’s not an easy question. I would probably say, the low man on the totem pole granite. Category A stones wear the same as an exotic and cost much less but in terms of resale, granite is granite.
  • PRO
    Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen
    hace 10 años
    @Travola we haven't had any issues with leather, we have seen it to be super durable.
  • PRO
    CW Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    WIth granite, there is quite a large price range. You can shop around to various suppliers, and see what they have too much of. Depending on size needs, you can always look for remnants as well.
  • PRO
    Tervola Designs
    hace 10 años
    A9) I do a lot of condo remodels. For those I think either pre-fab ganite or butcherblock. The pre-fab granite edges come fabricated from the factory so the cost of fabrication and installation is much less than a slab of granite. Maple butcherblock is also a great choice because it is affordable and you don’t need a plywood subtop to install it. It is easy to cut and finish. You do need to seal the butcherblock with a food safe sealant and will need to reapply.
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Ok everyone, last question!
    Q10) When you put together your own kitchen, what counter surface did you use? Any photos you can share?
  • azbebe
    hace 10 años
    We too love quartz - we decided to go with Caesarstone - I do like Granite - but found there was too much movement in the granite for us - we wanted a softer look as we were not removing the saltillo tile, have a travertine dining table and did not want the counter top application competing with the flooring and table. We have not completely finished the kitchen as yet - but we love the countertop - no fuss - just a little soap in a spray bottle filled with water and it looks like new every day.
  • flchar
    hace 10 años
    Which is more expensive Quartzite or granite? And which one is more durable? i feel like i'm getting closer to my choice of counters thanks to all this advice!
  • PRO
    Alair Homes Decatur
    hace 10 años
    A10) I’m on my third kitchen reno in last 8 years (3 different houses). First pass was a butcher-block wood countertop. It looked great on day one, but started to deal with watermarks near the sink. Second kitchen was Costa Esmeralda granite. Beautiful color and pattern, but was supremely disappointed when an olive oil bottle resting on the counter left a ring stain.

Finally we went with Caeserstone quartz in our most recent kitchen. The color is pebble - a nice cool gray. Three years of solid use and no damage. I love the subtle pattern and I love the durability.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    A10)
    I used soapstone, it was hard the first day as it scratch every second we touched it. I have 3 small kids who were pretty brutal on it, now it’s just what it is, patina! I will look at the spot Jack sits in for years and remember that at 2 it’s where he sat and like to gouge his fork into the counter while he ate. It took a bit to break him of that and the scare remains. I could have it fixed but I won’t, it’s my family making its mark in time. That makes me happy!

Rausch House · Más información
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    @Karr Bick I'm going to have to look at the job file the client bought that on their own, it's a special made product. When I find the answer i'll email you through Houzz.
  • azbebe
    hace 10 años
    The previous photo does not convey the beauty of the Caesarstone - the photo may have been too dark
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Aierl,
    Quartzite is more durable. Price depends on what you choose. They overlap based on granite's rarity and quartzite's complexity.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Granite would be the go to material for the luxe look.
  • PRO
    CW Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    A10) I have honed absolute black. 15 years out it is in fairly good shape, but it does need close attention to sealing, etc. If I were to do another kitchen today, I'd go for Quartzite. I love wood in certain places as well...basically, I'm a kitchen designer because I love it all and can't afford (time or money) to redo my kitchen every year, so I live vicariously.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    A10) Another view
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    A10) This is so gorgeous! Beautiful granite and it gives the kitchen a classy warm look.
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Great job everyone! The chat is now officially over, but feel free to continue chatting amongst yourselves. Thank you again to all the pros who helped to make this chat successful! :) We'll be back next week!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Thanks Jeannie!
    Jeannie Nguyen agradeció a Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Thanks for having us Jeannie!
    Jeannie Nguyen agradeció a Karr Bick Kitchen and Bath
  • PRO
    Tervola Designs
    hace 10 años
    A10) My kitchen is 19 years old and even back then I was mixing countertop materials. On the cooking side of the island I used a stainless steel countertop for ease of cleaning and a professional look. Where the island angles back I used butcherblock with a prep sink. Ok, I admit that I would not let anyone cut on the butcherblock for 4 years because it was so pretty but then practicality won over. What a pleasure to cut right on the countertop for prepping the food. The raised bar and the main countertop is solid surface. I chose that for a seamless look.
  • PRO
    Alair Homes Decatur
    hace 10 años
    Thanks Jeannie!!
    Jeannie Nguyen agradeció a Alair Homes Decatur
  • PRO
    Tervola Designs
    hace 10 años
    Thanks Jeaannie! I enjoyed the discussion.
    Jeannie Nguyen agradeció a Tervola Designs
  • PRO
    CW Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Thank you, Jeannie. I'm so sorry I was detained and had a late start. Houzz is such a great tool - I appreciate being included. Would be happy to do it again!
    Jeannie Nguyen agradeció a CW Design, LLC
  • flchar
    hace 10 años
    so for someone who lives in the kitchen a good part of the day, quartzite for counters w/a butchers block island could be a good match...all while still having a classy kitchen that is durable? we orginally wanted granite to keep the cabinets looking classy...it sounds like quartzite won't downplay them :) thanks everyone for your input!
  • Donna Lyman Semar
    hace 10 años
    Just got back from the fabricator reviewing the template on my soapstone slabs. Most of my remodel will have soapstone countertops. My hutch will have a mahogany butcherblock top. http://maybellinesgarden.blogspot.com/2013/08/kitchen-update.html
  • randmksu
    hace 10 años
    I love the look of marble, but want the durability of quartz. Any color of quartz close to marble with veins?
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Wonder woman, I see you make good choices:-) Love the picture and your top choice. Be prepared for its scratching! But I love mine!
  • Donna Lyman Semar
    hace 10 años
    Educated in geology. I'm ready for soapstone.
  • PRO
    CW Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    @ randmksu look at Quartzite. Looks more like marble, behaves more like granite.
  • greymom
    hace 10 años
    Guess I'm late, :) but I just used Cambria's new Hollinsbrook. Love the uniqueness of it.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    So I question I got about a leather finish countertop. Here is the info:
    The countertop name is Black Absolute Flamed, 2cm from Stoneville USA. It is Granite with the leather finish.
  • PRO
    CW Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    @Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen Thanks. That makes more sense. This is a granite countertop with a 'leathered' (flamed) finish, not leather countertops! Still, I like the idea of a leather top in an office.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    hahah sorry I knew it was leather, but not the specifications of it. Yes leather finish. It's my favorite project. Sorry for the confusion!.
  • fyrefly75
    hace 10 años
    I'm surprised that there has been no talk about stainless steel. If the designers are still here, have they seen an increase in this product? I have installed it in my house recently and love it for its cleanliness and designability.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    Hello @fyrefly75 We have not had a client request stainless steel. I would love for it to happen just so I can see how it would look. It looks neat in your kitchen.
  • PRO
    CW Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I came late to the discussion but was surprised as well. There's stainless, which can be a bit sterile, but also zinc, copper, and other metals. Mixed with other materials metal can be a wonderful surface in a kitchen, and quite versatile. I'm not seeing that a lot, however.
  • fyrefly75
    hace 10 años
    Thanks! Its not something to go into lightly, but for durability, its up there with quartz. If you are particular about streaks and scratches, its not for you, but as time goes by it creates a patina and all the small scratches disappear. My favorite part was being able to design the exact size of my sink and have no seams/ledges to collect grime.
  • feeny
    hace 10 años
    I love stainless steel counters, fyrefly. A friend of mine has a house from the 1940's that has the original stainless steel counters, still in great shape. She keeps saying that whenever she gets around to renovating the kitchen, those counters are the one detail she wants to keep.
  • PRO
    CI DESIGN + BUILD
    hace 10 años
    We are working on a project using Italian Marble. A very Luxury Stone and visual appeal is amazing!
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.659372657412553.1073741829.167767053239785&type=1&l=0e8bca4d6e
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    We are signing off now. If anyone has any questions please feel free to follow us and message us on Houzz! Thanks for a great discussion!
    The Remodel Works Team!
  • hutchisonc
    hace 10 años
    We have this counter. The material is Vetrazzo. It is made from recycled glass and the turquoise color is made from office building windows. They have another made from stop lights. Such a cool thing. We love ours and have received many compliments.
  • PRO
    Tervola Designs
    hace 10 años
    fyrefly75, I have stainless steel in my kitchen. I haven't had anyone request it in a long time though. Personally I love it!
  • camsrq
    hace 10 años
    Looks like this discussion is over but if anyone is still monitoring it and has advise for me, I am installing soapstone counters and removing the breakfast bar at the pass thru so it will be one level with the sink which will be white cast iron and visible to the dining area. Should I go with undermount or drop in? I have been told the soaptone might chip around the edges and therefore drop in is better. I know undermount is what is in fashion but I kind of like the white cast iron kohler smart divide drop in.
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    I have soapstone and it is a bit beat up around the under mount sink. It doesn't bother me because the entire top is a bit beat up. It's less noticeable then a top mount sink rim.
  • camsrq
    hace 10 años
    Good point. Plus I just realized that any stains, standing water from the faucet, etc around the sink rim and the soapstone will show at eye level when sitting at the dining table. guess I will go with the undermount. thank you!!!
  • feeny
    hace 10 años
    @camsrq: We too have soapstone counters with an undermount sink (cast iron Kohler). They are four years old and everything still looks like new around the edges, so maybe we aren't that hard on kitchens. However, I vastly prefer the look of an undermount, plus the ease of wiping crumbs from the counters into the sink without bumping into a ledge.
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    hace 10 años
    If you are looking for 'NEW' up and coming stone countertops -

Basalt (from lava stone) I am currently putting in a kitchen for a show on DIY Network, it is hard to find right now as it is so new, but love it!

Slate is a wonderful countertop for the kitchen, very forgiving. It can take heat, knives, it is easily hand buffed that homeowner can do on their own and a hand rubbed oil to spruce it up.
  • PRO
    Organize with Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I too am redoing a kitchen that has beautiful Cherry cabinets - wish they were white - but so-be-it!
    I love granite, but am quite excited about Zodiaq Quartz. We are thinking of carrying right up as a backsplash!
    Any thoughts?
  • inpdx
    hace 10 años
    We used Paperstone rather than soapstone -- matte finish, not as fragile. Matte indeed shows smudges more but we really didn't want shiny granite. We have an undercount Blanco sink that works perfectly with it.
  • bardonsmith09
    hace 9 años
    Granite is a great stone for your kitchen to be the countertop.These are strong and durable and moreover they also enhance the look of your kitchen greatly. So go ahead and buy one for yourself and see how it beautifies your kitchen.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.