Houzz Logo Print
webuser_332680634

Help choosing a F&B green for the living room

Usuario de Houzz-332680634
hace 3 años
última modificación:hace 3 años

I'm trying to choose a F&B green for my new living room. I've got samples of Breakfast Room Green and Calke Green. Sometimes I lean towards one and sometimes the other, and sometimes think neither will work!

I like the richness of Calke Green but I'm worried it will overpower the room and may clash a bit with the honey tones of the floorboards.

The room has big windows and is NW facing, so it's not dark but doesn't get much direct sunlight. It's a small/medium size room with big sized ceilings.

I'm planning to do the bookshelves, mantle, windows etc in white - I've seen a lot of pictures of people doing the woodwork green too but I find that too heavy and flat.

I find it really hard to visualise things - I'm sure I could pick what I like if it was fully painted but impossible to tell from even a large sample. Does anyone have any advice or preference???

Comentarios (23)

• minnie101
    hace 3 años

This is the closest I have to calke green

• Marylee H
    hace 3 años

I don’t think either of those will clash with floorboards, but each will likely enhance the other’s qualities. So the floor will look warmer/more orangey and the greens even greener.

Usuario de Houzz-332680634 agradeció a Marylee H
  • Marylee H
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Personally I’m fond of Hardwick White with warm wood floors.

Although it may not appear so here on screen by comparison to Calke and Breakfast Room Green, it can in many spaces read as a more earthy, greyed green.

Hardwick White is actually lighter than either of the others but can appear darker with shifting light. It has approximately only half the Chroma of Calke and Breakfast Room Green, so it is more neutral by comparison.

It sits in the Yellow Hue Family, closer to the wooden floors in the Yellow-Red Hue Family, so the contrast between them isn’t quite so magnified as in the other combinations.

Calke and Breakfast Room Green are in the Green-Yellow Hue Family, a little more clockwise on the Color Strategist Wheel below.

They all work with your flooring. The Calke reminds me more of a formal Victorian study, library or smoking room.

• Marylee H
    hace 3 años

• Marylee H
    hace 3 años

Calke Green + Hardwick White - Farrow and Ball

Dining Room in Calke Green · Más información

Mountain Love in Martis Camp · Más información

Amoroso Design · Más información

Farrow & Ball Paint · Más información

• Sonia
    hace 3 años

Farrow & Ball do some lovely greens. I’ve used Cromarty which is a pale grey-green and looks lovely with white woodwork and a red rug. Mizzle is similar but a little darker. Obviously if you are looking for a bold green then they wouldn’t do. The last pic is Card Room Green.

Usuario de Houzz-332680634 agradeció a Sonia
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 3 años

It looks good but it does look quite 'stimulating' if that's what you are after. If you want it to look calmer then a warm dirtier neutral that reads as green may be worth considering. Light Grey 17 can look warm and calming on the walls and would complement the earthy browns well.

Just a different look perhaps.

Usuario de Houzz-332680634 agradeció a Juliet Docherty
  • Usuario de Houzz-332680634
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thank you so much, some really helpful comments here! I think probably BRG and CG are a bit too 'stimulating' with the floor for my tastes, so I will look at some of the more neutral/grey options. It's so hard to decide 😅

• Ellie
    hace 3 años

I'd say stick with green, don't go for the neutral/grey option!! I actually love Green Smoke and was going to use it in my lounge but then discovered I had about 8 litres of pale blue/grey paint so just slapped that on! I will do it one day though!

Usuario de Houzz-332680634 agradeció a Ellie
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 3 años

I don't think there is a right or wrong in this situation, but it is worth thinking about how you have reacted to strong colours previously. I know I get bored with them very quickly and revert to calming ones instead.

• Kate
    hace 3 años

Try Winslade from Albany Traditions range from Crown. A really lovely colour, we had it and had so many compliments.

Usuario de Houzz-332680634 agradeció a Kate
  • Katherine L
    hace 3 años

I struggled with greens too but bought a tester pot of Wilko's Urban Jungle because it was very cheap so nothing to lose and it turned out to be the best of the lot for my east-facing room. Two years later I still like it and my decorator found it satisfactory, too

Usuario de Houzz-332680634 agradeció a Katherine L
  • Usuario de Houzz-332680634
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I'm wondering now too about Card Room Green... it seems to be a little more blue/grey so I wonder if it will still bring the green but without livening up the warm tones in the floorboards so much?

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 3 años

Any green will bring out the red in the wood, the more saturated the green the more red the wood will look.

• minnie101
    hace 3 años

Or if you’re wanting something darker you could also try mouses back, the light should bring the green out

Usuario de Houzz-332680634 agradeció a minnie101
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 3 años

Mouses Back is a beautiful colour.

• Laura
    hace 3 años

We painted our north facing lounge Card Room Green 7 years ago but it had started to look dull. Our other rooms are more bold and it looked more neutral. We tried chalke green but we didn’t like the tone. We went for duck green in the end with white windows and furniture, but green shelving. We love it and embraced orange tones too

Usuario de Houzz-332680634 agradeció a Laura
  • victoriaburvill
    hace 3 años

We used Calke green in our NW facing study. with white (Dulux almond white) to be a bit uplifting for work. Not finished moving back in yet but we like it. We used a grey colour for woodwork (I’ll look it up if you’re interested)

Usuario de Houzz-332680634 agradeció a victoriaburvill
    hace 3 años

I saw a living room recently in cooking apple gree f&b with white woodwork - not sure what white but I thought it lovely. think it was a nw facing room.

hace 3 años

cooking apple green f&b

• Jez Phillips
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Chipping in from my experience. I painted my bedroom in Studio Green. Everything. Walls, skirting, cornice, ceiling, door, frame, built in wardrobe doors. (Actually window frame is a soft white). During painting I thought what have I done? But, end result is fantastic. Takeaways: be bold. Go darker than you think. (I tried over 20 colours before settling on SG). On that note, try more colours. Sulking room pink was one of those 20. Painting everything the same looks so good. Back to your original post, imho the darker colour works better with the chair. And totally changing tack, my front room is in Winterwood by Benjamin Moore. Beautiful.

not easy, eh?

• Aileen Madlin
    hace 3 años

We've used breakfast room green on one wall in purple living room and absolutely love it

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.