Houzz Logo Print
rowenamstark

What colour should I paint my ceiling beams?

Row Row
hace 3 años
última modificación:hace 3 años

I know this dilemma has been posed a few times before but I’d really love some advice on what I should do with my mission brown ceiling beams in my living room. Currently they are painted, not stained.

should I paint them ceiling white or some other light colour, or leave them, or paint the a different warmer brown colour.

Or should I go something completely different like make a timber panelled ceiling covering them?

We are about to get laminate timber look floorboards installed soon so the floor might be a touch darker?

Apologies about the mess, bathroom renovations are going on and housekeeping has gone out the window.

thank you for any advice!

Comentarios (15)

• kiwimills
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

They're dark ay...and a lot of them.
    The ceiling height is the feature...and the wood floor, and the view, I would paint white if it was my house and have them fade away.

If it was a 14 th century cottage in England....keep!

Row Row agradeció a kiwimills
  • kiwimills
    hace 3 años

To be fair, the cushions could have been plumped....
    :)

• Row Row
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

haha yes!

same white as the ceiling or wall white? I am thinking of painting the walls in dulux vivid white

• fianou luca
    hace 3 años

The beams are a feature of the room and if you hide them under a ceiling the room would not look as good, they draw the eye up, but being painted mission brown they are a bit dated. It will be more cost effective to paint them white, or even to choose a colour like a grey if you want to highlight them but keep it more modern. If possible it would be good to strip the paint of a section and see what the timber is like underneath. I have a little heatgun that wasn't expensive and works like a very strong hairdryer and melts the paint off, and then you scrape it back. Depending on what finish was under the mission brown you can strip it easily. For example areas of my house had lacquered silky oak trim and it comes off really easily to restore a natural timber finish. I then just lightly hand sand and oil it. But other areas they used an cheaper pine and painted without priming and that doesn't come off so well, so we opted to leave them painted white. It depends what you like and what timber is under the paint. if there is nice timber it could look really good. Even if the timber is a bit meh you can use an oil with a light stain to warm it up. Or even go a blonde scandi finish if the timber is pine of something. But I would expect hardwood beams.

Row Row agradeció a fianou luca
  • fianou luca
    hace 3 años

here's someone elses result

• Row Row
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

excellent, thank you. I dont like the thought of striping off the paint! sounds like a lot of work. I think white looks great from the links you sent.

• Peta Wabbit
    hace 3 años

I would paint them the same colour as the ceiling, but not in the matt ceiling paint of course. They will be a more subdued feature :)

• Kate
    hace 3 años

Try them white if not happy try something else. No harm since already painted

• Marylee H
    hace 3 años

Surfside Chic Nantucket · Más información

Row Row agradeció a Marylee H
  • PRO
    Moss Furniture
    hace 3 años

Definitely match the ceiling colour

• Kayli Wild
    hace 3 años

I think in this case paint them white. I’m not sure why everyone always paints the ceiling a different white. Our designer said to paint the ceiling the same white as the walls and I absolutely love it, and have done the same in subsequent renovation. We used Lexicon half strength throughout and I love the ‘art gallery‘ vibe it gives. Also, why not go real wood on the floor? Yes it might be a bit more expensive but so worth it feeling the beauty of a natural material beneath your feet everyday and much better for resale value on the house. We recently installed european white oak throughout and I love it every day, and it’s so durable and easy to keep clean.

• Double D
    hace 3 años

White would be nice

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.