Houzz Logo Print
paula_sara3

Fireplace help!

paula_sara3
hace 3 años
última modificación:hace 3 años

I’ve never cared for this fireplace. We don’t use it but it’s too expensive to have it removed. Now that we are doing work and school from home I’d love to make it nicer to look at but I have no idea where to even start! Any help would be graciously appreciated!!

Comentarios (10)

• rachemer
    hace 3 años

Yep, I like the above suggestion. Looks good that color too. I probably do shiplap instead of drywall because I can cut wood better than finish drywall. Put a hole to run cords back there and leave a small gap at the bottom to bring them out.

paula_sara3 agradeció a rachemer
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

first thing I'd do is take care of those cables. There are tons of DIY ideas on how to run cables in the wall.

This is one way.

Or, better yet, Is there anywhere else you can mount the tv? where you have it now is less than ideal.

What about the wall to the right of it? back up and lets see a view of the whole room.

I'd also suggest some type of storage unit for all the toys. A storage bench, and ottoman, some bookcases, etc.

going to need pics of the entire room if you want advice on the fireplace. It can work in your favor, but you'll need to switch around some other things.

from what I see, I'd remove all the stuff around it, move the tv, and find a nice piece of art to hang in the middle. (take down the 4 purple pics and hang those in a collage elsewhere)

paula_sara3 agradeció a Beth H. :
  • paula_sara3
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I added more pictures! Thank you!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años

what's this area? what are those cabs?

any chance the tv can go on this wall and you move the sofa to face it? (hard to tell because all your pictures are still too close. any way you can get a shot of the entire room, or at least show 3 of those walls in one picture???)

do you need a little teaching area for the kids? I see a little desk area and a dining room.

what if I showed you something for a new desk/worktop area using Ikea? could you do that?

we just need to move that tv and figure out a placement for everything. that's why I need a picture that shows the entire space

• paula_sara3
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Okay I added one more pic that I think shows all 3 walls. Lol it was hard to get a shot, it’s kind of a narrow rectangle room. The cabinets right now hold all my kids school stuff because they are doing virtual learning from home because of covid. i don’t think I can put the tv where the pictures are because of where the cable cord is...I could maybe put it on the wall where the desk is but then I don’t know where to move the desk or put the couch...

• everdebz
    hace 3 años

From what I can tell the tv would move over a few feet -- how does the sofa work currently for watching tv?

paula_sara3 agradeció a everdebz
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años

ah, ok. better

well, that tv is in a horrible place . lol. moving the cable cord is easy. This is something that needs to be done if you want a more cohesive living room area. Trust me.

go up in the attic and drop it down to the other wall (unless this is a two story!)

or, better yet, call out your cable company! They should move it for you free of charge. (tell them you need to upgrade the box and remote!)

So, you get a wall mount, mount it to the wall, and then get a large tv console to set under it.

one with extra storage for kids games and stuff.

see how much better it would look on the wall??

Ikea has a ton of hacks.

you can do something like this on that entire wall. your couch is already facing it. So much better!!

look at the difference! Super easy to DIY too.

This one is super easy to hack. hang up the tv on the wall (after you get that cable moved) and put this beneath it. use the baskets for toys and paper work. Assign the kids their own cubbies

want to incorporate the kids study center too? do something like this w/the book cases.

for that corner desk area, try something like these ideas.

do some upper shelving and take advantage of addition storage.

look at this one. basically the same as above, just a diff design. these are ikea. you could do two sides of the drawers. Shelving is a must. maybe do a filing cabinet

after you do this, come back and we can work on the fireplace!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

ah, ok. better

well, that tv is in a horrible place . lol. moving the cable cord is easy. This is something that needs to be done if you want a more cohesive living room area. Trust me.

go up in the attic and drop it down to the other wall (unless this is a two story!)

or, better yet, call out your cable company! They should move it for you free of charge. (tell them you need to upgrade the box and remote!)

So, you get a wall mount, mount it to the wall, and then get a large tv console to set under it.

basically, you would be watching tv like shown here. bring in a larger rug, maybe a chair, coffee table or ottoman. We'll address the other stuff, below.

one with extra storage for kids games and stuff.

see how much better it would look on the wall??

Ikea has a ton of hacks.

you can do something like this on that entire wall. your couch is already facing it. So much better!!

look at the difference! Super easy to DIY too.

This one is super easy to hack. hang up the tv on the wall (after you get that cable moved) and put this beneath it. use the baskets for toys and paper work. Assign the kids their own cubbies

want to incorporate the kids study center too? do something like this w/the book cases.

for that corner desk area, try something like these ideas.

do some upper shelving and take advantage of addition storage.

look at this one. basically the same as above, just a diff design. these are ikea. you could do two sides of the drawers. Shelving is a must. maybe do a filing cabinet

after you do this, come back and we can work on the fireplace!

• PRO
    Coastal Floors Georgia
    hace 3 años

I think I like the idea of moving the tv off the fireplace onto the wall across the couch. I like the pictures of the ikea boxes underneath the tv to make it look "built in". Some good ideas on here!

paula_sara3 agradeció a Coastal Floors Georgia
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.