Houzz Logo Print
prestonchan97

exterior board and batten vinyl shutters or no shutters?

hace 3 años

I am debating if we should add shutters to our newly painted house. I’ve read a few forums in which they are very against non-proportional and fake shutters. I thought it looked nice as decor, but wanted to know what people thought. I thought it looks ok both ways, without shutters is a little plain but looks ok to me too.

1 photo is plain, 2nd photo is holding up one shutter, 3rd is a rendering with shutters.

shutters
no shutters

Comentarios (10)

• hace 3 años

I vote for shutters but you need to understand what size. The shutter should be as tall as the window and the width should be able to cover 1 side of the window. The ones you are showing are too small.

• hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

I prefer no shutters however Nancy (above) has a great point. You do have the room for properly sized shutters. They would need to be wide enough to cover one entire window on each side since you have chosen a double window size. They don't need to be functional; just appear functional. Something like these insp pics below. Notice that the width of the shutters vary depending upon the window sizes even if they are on the same side of the house like the insp pics show.

The Moorings · Más información

Exteriors · Más información

See this brief article about shutter sizing:https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/ 

Check out: https://www.oldhouseguy.com/shutters-good-vs-bad-examples/

Having too small shutters really makes the house look like the owner or builder ran out of money at the end of the build (to me) or didn't care to do any research and had no idea that there are good looking shutters that are sized right and can enhance the home (but not available at Lowes or HD or other big box store). Take your time and do it right so your home is enhanced if you choose to add shutters.

Another brief article for you: https://www.fletcherdesignconsultants.com/index.php/blog/71-shutters-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly 

• hace 3 años

^^Agree with Nancy and Denita. Shutters need to be sized in proportion to the window.

• hace 3 años

I would also consider painting your garage doors the color of the siding...

• hace 3 años

I think the no shutters look is a more updated look. I would go no-shutters.

• PRO
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

if you want to update, paint your garage doors a darker color and add some carriage hardware to them. a darker shade than the house color would be fine

(no shutters)

And get new lights

gave you darker doors w/windows and the hardware, new lights, and a new address plaque

I probably would have opted for a darker trim color on the porch posts and the window trim. if you did that w/the darker garage doors, I think it would take it up a notch.

the additions of window inserts and /or the hardware, plus lights, made a huge diff

you could also consider doing some stone work around the garage doors. (but all the way up and around)

• PRO
    hace 3 años

If you do decide to add shutters please make them functional and the right size to fit the windows. The suggestions of replace the garage door with one with lights (windows) is a great one. As it is now the garage door presents a very plain and impenetrable facscade.

• PRO
    hace 3 años

Need contractor? 👌

• hace 3 años

I agree with above comments. No shutters. Paint the garage doors and add hardware to them:)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.