tableandhearth

Backsplash tile help in guest bath update

Emily
hace 10 años
I am updating our guest bathroom and need advice regarding how to layout the backsplash.

We are not able to update the shower or toilet at this time so are just painting and updating the vanity and fixtures. Walls will be SW "Popular Gray", cabinets will be painted white, new Silestone "Blanco City" countertop with Kohler "Serif" self-rimming sink and Moen "Vestige" faucet, along with a new framed mirror and three light fixture. I will be doing a 5" tumbled 2"x2" travertine mosaic backsplash with trim (from HD) but am unsure whether to continue it over to the shower and then down behind the toilet or leave it only on the vanity. My thought was that extending it would make it look more cohesive and not so chopped up with nice new things on the left and old outdated things on the right. Your thoughts?

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    San Diego Marble & Tile
    hace 10 años
    I like the idea of continuing the tile all the way to the shower. Have you thought about going even higher with the tile? How high is the ceiling in the bathroom?
  • PRO
    San Diego Marble & Tile
    hace 10 años
    Maybe something like this?
  • Emily
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Something like these:
    casual luxury · Más información

Guest Bathroom · Más información
  • PRO
    San Diego Marble & Tile
    hace 10 años
    With the right tools, you can easily tile around the outlet and the cover will hide the edges of tile. They also sell rubber gaskets to place underneath the outlet cover for wet areas like kitchens and bathrooms.

I like the first picture you posted!

Bringing a light colored backsplash up a bit more will make the room seem taller. Especially if you are going to be painting it grey. Sometimes grey can make a space seem smaller. Painting the cabinets white would be a good idea. I would also suggest mounting the new cabinet over the toilet higher than the previous one.

Do you have any pictures of the new cabinet? Will it extend all the way to the ceiling?

I know DIY tile can be a little daunting. My first job was really stressful. To make it a little easier, we have DIY tile kits online and some tips too: http://tileliving.com/do-it-yourself/tools.html
  • PRO
    Tyson Designs
    hace 10 años
    Don't be afraid of color!
  • Emily
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The new cabinet is just this little white one from Wal-Mart actually but I may just do shelving there instead, not too sure yet. I would like to get a narrow white countertop linen cabinet to store towels in but that's looking to be a custom job so that probably won't happen therefore shelves with baskets would store towels better. The little dude from Walmart sure can't store towels.

Tyson, we aren't big fans of color :/. We live down the road from the beach and have a very muted, light, weathered, beachy style. I lean more towards mixing textures instead of colors. For this bathroom, I wanted it to feel very light and clean, plus I love the combo of tans and whites together. I originally thought about a blue/grey like in the first pic (which I love) but would rather have that color with a dark wood instead of white. Just not a bright color gal, never have been...
  • PRO
    Tyson Designs
    hace 10 años
    Or 3D wave tiles
  • Emily
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I have samples of shell and beige wave glass actually but I have five sheets of the travertine free from a friend's bath remodel so that's why I was going with it :). Once the countertop is in and the walls are painted, I will post pictures of the options.
  • Emily
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    All done! Before/After pics here: http://houzz.com/discussions/650932
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.