webuser_239271061

Need color help please! Dated bathroom floors what color for walls?

hace 3 años

We got this travertine looking porcelain tile in both bathroom floors. They are in perfect condition. I wanted to replace them but the cost and trouble are making me rethink. What color would you recommend for the walls to make it look better? I will replace the cabinets with a white one in one bathroom and wood one in the other. I know there some experts here that can make magic with color coordination ;)

Is the tile so ugly/dated that you would recommen d to change it anyways?

Thank you!

Comentarios (51)

• hace 3 años

Lazy gray Sherwin Williams

• hace 3 años

Yes if I’m budget please change

• PRO
    hace 3 años

definitely need more photos showing more of the room from different angles... and with more light.... both natural and artificial.

• hace 3 años

Really need more photos. What color exactly is the travertine?

• hace 3 años

Need more photos but I don't think they look bad at all. It almost looks like some pink on the tiles, would a pink color be acceptable to you to highlight that? Or grey looks nice with pink.

• hace 3 años

We have travertine floors in our bathrooms as well. Came across this article, which has been helpful with updating/adding as we prepare our home for sale.

https://carlaaston.com/designed/oh-travertine-what-do-we-do-with-you-now

• hace 3 años

floor color is a warm neutral. lots of colors would go well. if you want contrast you could go with a cool grey (blue / green grey). depending on the room's use, a larger area rug could take away from the floor.

• hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

I think you probably can work with the current floors, but as far as recommendations for colors, etc. it’s hard to say because I am not sure what color your travertine (tile) is. On my monitor it appears grey, but it is not clear, and I am not sure. Most any neutral could probably work with whatever color of travertine you may have, but more pics and info would help.

En Suite Bathroom · Más información

• hace 3 años

Full room photos will get you more help. (As best you can. I know bathroom photos are difficult.)

• hace 3 años

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Here are some more pictures. Any advice is appreciated. I was trying to get a quote for changing it but no success yet, also was asking about adding a sealant which seem to help with the appearance

• hace 3 años

simply white walls would look great. if you do white, maybe a light wood border around the mirror would help balance the top of the room from the bottom... drawing your view to eye level vs. down to your feet.

Gloria agradeció a Amber Ryder
  • hace 3 años

Have you found a different tile you like?

• hace 3 años

Have the tile professionally cleaned before your finalize your color choices. If that's not available, there are cordless tile scrubber/cleaners for under $100. Tile often looks brighter after machine cleaning. Grout can be painted with special grout paint to match the base color of the tile. It will look much newer and fresher.

Gloria agradeció a apple_pie_order
  • hace 3 años

@RedRyder I haven't even looked, I wanted to decide whether I should keep the tile or not before getting excited about new tile. I would go with something simple, modern, no pattern.

• hace 3 años

Do you have a spare tile you can bring in to look at and to carry around while shopping for paint?

Also consider wallpapering if you have good exhaust venting in the bathroom.

• hace 3 años

Here's a randomly chosen before and after image from a google search:

https://maidsailors.com/blog/how-to-deep-clean-a-tile-floor/

• hace 3 años

If the floors are really bothering you that won’t go away by just painting the walls. Have you considered stencils for the tile and lighter more neutral walls?

Gloria agradeció a Matterns_Patterns
  • hace 3 años

@Matterns_Patterns Agree, but the issue is that I am not finding it cheap to replace them.

I am considering a lighter wall color for sure, it is a mater of what would be the best to coordinate with the floors. I thought about the stencil but I wasn't sure of durability, these tiles have some texture on them, even some mini holes, will that be ok with the stencil? Thank you!

• hace 3 años

@apple_pie_order I definitely will start with the deep clean, maybe that and the grout coloring in a lighter color would help ??? I considered adding a sealant too

• hace 3 años

Gloria I haven’t tried the floor stenciling yet but intend to in my bathroom. Tiles are smooth though. Ask Sherwin-Williams staff what they recommend if you are DIY inclined. They always help me with every project to success!

Gloria agradeció a Matterns_Patterns
  • hace 3 años

I just painted a bathroom with travertine tile, white dove by BM. It looks wonderful. Made the tile appear “sandy” not yellow and dirty.

Gloria agradeció a Grace Greene
  • hace 3 años

I’d consider Grace’s suggestion, but to save money, try the deep clean idea first. THEN shop for wall colors. You May fall back in love (or at least like) with your current floors. And then a can of paint will completely change the room.

• hace 3 años

SW Biscuit looks nice with my travertine — calms it down a bit. I’m also planning to try a navy rug.

Gloria agradeció a Sofia
  • hace 3 años

I think not enough people try the visualizer on the different paint brand sites. Now, had I seen that Beverly posted already I would not have bothered. Anyway, here goes.

The white in the top row is BM Simply White. Underneath it is BM White Dove. Second from the left is Revere Pewter which I think does not work at all. The room is not especially small for a bathroom and it seems to have some natural light. If it were mine I would do dark walls.

The white walls and white cabinet draw my eye straight to the floor.

I don't think the tile is that bad. If you know the sq ft of the room you can look at tile and estimate the cost of materials. Someone should be able to tell you the labor for a room that size.

Gloria agradeció a emmarene9
  • hace 3 años

@emmarene9 I do agree that the darker wall color distracts from the floor, I tend to go with lighter just to be safe. I plan to replace the cabinet as part of this mini project and was planning on putting a wood cabinet (RH Russian oak).

• hace 3 años

One long rug instead of two would help also

Gloria agradeció a ker9
  • hace 3 años

Hardware to match the mirror or floor. The navy & art helped to brighten.

Gloria agradeció a happyleg
  • hace 3 años

Replace the floors. They are dated and they were cheap to start off with. Your bathroom will never look like you want it until they are gone.

Gloria agradeció a L Roberts
  • hace 3 años

I’m glad L Roberts made the suggestion to bite the bullet and get the floor out. You’ll be much happier with a new floor and the wall paint won’t be such an issue.

• PRO
    hace 3 años

IMO you never let something you dislike drive a rooms decor. Bite the bullet and change the floor.

• hace 3 años

Your tile is costly and it is still in style go look at the store at the tiles you got nice cocking the color the tile in it I don't know why everybody hate your tile here but it's good quality tile

• hace 3 años

Happy leg. The tile is a porcelain. It’s not costly travertine. It’s dated and it should go.

• hace 3 años

But Porcelain is better quality than Ceramic tile.

• hace 3 años

Gloria, it makes sense to take the time to measure your floor and shop tiles you like so you KNOW what they will cost. The. Get a labor coat. It’s easier to make this decision with real numbers.

Gloria agradeció a RedRyder
  • hace 3 años

Thank you all. New tiles are not so expensive but labor is. I will try to get some more quotes. Bathroom is under 100 sqft and I got a quote for over $4k for tile installation only, I thought that was too much.

• hace 3 años

Yes go look at the tiles you'll see yours there and tile cost more to lay. And that does seem like a lot of money to rip everything out of there

• hace 3 años

Yes, that sounds expensive for the amount of work you have. Get more referrals for tilers.

• hace 3 años

Hi Gloria, can you post a pic of the RH Russian Oak cabinet that you’re planning to put in? I think it’ll help to consider tile in the context of what the room is going to look like instead of what it looks like now. Are you planning to make any other changes? Mirrors, lights, etc. as part of this project?

Gloria agradeció a Sofia
  • hace 3 años

Yes, I will have to change the mirror and light fixtures. I was trying to see if I could save the floors by painting walls, etc. to make the overall look ok or if they are so dated that I need to replace them anyways. Here is a pic of the cabinet I am planning to use. The top is pure white not the marble on the picture.

• hace 3 años

Isn't that shorter?

• hace 3 años

Yes, it is shorter, we have some remaining tiles that could be used for the space if needed.

• hace 3 años

I fear that beautiful wood vanity will make the tiles look dirty, even if you scrub them. The tonal qualities will clash.

• hace 3 años

I would get new tile to go with the beautiful vanity. If tile is in good shape you can tile on top of it without removing the old tile. You will have a larger transition, but I’ve seen it done successfully especially if the current floor is the same level.

Gloria agradeció a Kate
  • hace 3 años

Here’s what the new cabinet and existing floor look like together. I didn’t think it was going to work at all, but I do like the way the cabinet pulls out the caramel tones in the tile. Not a pro.

Gloria agradeció a Sofia
  • hace 3 años

Love the cabinet, btw. Adding a navy blue rug.

Gloria agradeció a Sofia
  • hace 3 años

The floor works with the cabinet and looks good

• hace 3 años

Maybe you could research the ease of painting and the durability of stencilled tiles - if you like the look

Gloria agradeció a Maureen
  • hace 3 años

Stenciling a floor sounds extremely difficult.

• hace 3 años

Stencilling is not difficult; just takes time and patience. There are a ton of on-line tutorials that will help a person decide if interested, both from a labour and design perspective. Advantages are the color and pattern choices are endless, inexpensive and you can enjoy a nicer looking floor until budget allows for complete redo.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.