webuser_804489537

Dining table upgrade help

Roscoe
hace 4 años

Hoping for a little help on the distressed brown dining table.

I’m a complete novice at type of thing. I’m not sure if I need to rub it down, paint with a stain or a primer or what?

So what do I need to do to change the colour so that it fits with our newly fitted kitchen which is white gloss and concrete grey?

Should we go for a white top and grey legs or grey all over. Should we use a chalk paint? I have no idea.

Comentarios (16)

• arc3d
    hace 4 años

Exactly what you said. Rub it down, light sanding, prime and paint. Also a light sanding between coats. Lots of video tutorials online for painting furniture.

As for the colour it depends on rest of the room. It looks like you already have a lot of grey so maybe white would be better?

• E D
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I agree with kwg, change the chairs instead.

Although we can’t see your entire kitchen, the wooden table as is looks good and may wall provide some contrast and ‘warmth‘.

• Kittihawke
    hace 4 años

I agree with kwg kwg and ED the wood looks good with the grey, giving warmth to it. Grey can look a little flat and lifeless, even with white for relief.

• ali270
    hace 4 años

Agree with previous comments....leave table , change chairs . Something more kitchen friendly and to give a pop of colour. Perhaps even each chair a different colour. IKEA have some great kitchen chairs . Really like the cabinet colours .

• Roscoe
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Appreciate all the comments but the brown looks a little out of place in a lot of White and grey.

Was wondering because it’s a dining table does it need varnished or stained or will any old would paint work?

Or perhaps a chalk paint is required. We’re really not sure.

• Jonathan
    hace 4 años

I would be looking to replace the table with a more contemporary style such as a tulip table. If the idea is just to find a lockdown project then I would sand the table, paint the legs white and put a grey colour wash on the top so it better tones with the floor and then clear varnish.

• Sonia
    hace 4 años

I also prefer the table aux naturale, but if you want to paint it use an Eggshell paint (oil is tougher than water based), it gives a soft sheen. So as already suggested lightly sand to key the paint, then a couple of coats of primer, then a couple of coats of eggshell. Make sure each coat is thoroughly dry before applying the next one or the finish will be tacky. I personally detest chalk paint. I used it once on a wardrobe and it was very dry and difficult to brush. It’s marketed as easy, but it isn’t and it still needs waxing or varnishing to finish. Someone has made a lot of money selling that paint! I painted two bookcases in Little Greene eggshell and I’m very pleased them.

• Roscoe
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Brillaint Sonya.

Just need to get to B&Q, wait my turn then find and commit to a suitable concrete or slate grey colour.

It’s may be a little odd concrete grey on a wood grain table but more fitting with the current scheme.

The table is distressed texture rather than smooth and I’m not sure whether to sand it smooth or just light sand and paint. Wondering if I can texture the pain slightly somehow. (If that’s even a thing).

Your advice on paint types and techniques was exactly what I’m needing.

Thanks you. 🙌

• Roscoe
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Jonathan what is colour wash?

• Jonathan
    hace 4 años

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pdh_s5E1F94

Also called a paint wash.

Basically you use diluted paint on the bare wood and then wipe it off.

The end result is a coloured woodgrain.

• Roscoe
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Found this table colour online which would be perfect. Just need to find a paint the same colour

• Roscoe
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Well here it is. I went chalky and the wax is drying. Quite please with the result. 👍

• Roscoe
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Fully dried

• PRO
    Perfect Wood Works
    hace 3 años

What I did with my coffee table (social isolation projects), probably you can do with the dining. Acrylic paint plus furniture lacquer ;)

• Roscoe
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

That looks brilliant!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.