Houzz Logo Print
judy_mphillips

Standing water for a rain garden site

Judy M Phillips
hace 4 años

My back of the yard dilemna: standing water, loads of English Ivy to remove; underneath a large pine; would also like a screen between us and the neighbors backyard

second photo shows that I have put in three Redosier dogwoods, they do not bloom or grow; I suspect deer eat them.

Comentarios (6)

• PRO
    Creative Garden Designs Inc.
    hace 4 años

Hello Judy, Standing water is a very common problem. Some options would be: to install an infiltration pit to re-direct the water, install a rain garden in which the plants respond well to the extremes of damp ground and drought. Creating a berm and planting with Hemlock could provide you with screening and address the excessive moisture.

A Fusion Landscape Designer would be able to provide many solutions to your problem.

Good luck.

• Judy M Phillips
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for the ideas! I had heard of planting hemlock (Canadian type) as a screen but then I read that deer love to eat it! Is that true in your experience? Ugh - always something!?!

• PRO
    hace 4 años

Oh, yes, deer like the tender, flat needles but if you plant Oregon Grape Holly around the Eastern Hemlock, that will deter them as they don't like prickly leaves or needles. Another note, when planting the Eastern Hemlock, make sure that you have created a berm for drainage. They are fine with moist soil if it drains well.

I hope this helps.

• Judy M Phillips
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I see - plant a strategic deterrent - yes. thank you very much.

• PRO
    hace 4 años

Yes. And, the Oregon Grape Holly has yellow flowers in the spring and copper coloured foliage in the fall. Good luck!

• docmom_gw
    hace 4 años

You could plant some variety of willow, which would thrive in the wet conditions. Pussy willows are beautiful and can get quite large. There are also many perennial flowers that appreciate moisture, such as swamp milkweed and cardinal flower. But, those wouldn’t provide privacy.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.