txlady1

wallpaper versus plain paint

Lane S
hace 6 años
I had planned to tile my guest bathroom. (shower and walls). however, I cannot make a decision on the tile and since tile is a long term commitment I want to put it off. I like the look of wallpaper but friends say I am crazy with that idea. What are your thoughts? Also instead of tiling my shower which is set up for tile - I am considering installing those surround walls from Lowes or Home Depot thinking I can always take them out later if I find a tile design I like. I love the tile but with so many designs to pick from I cannot make a decision and need my bathroom back.

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    RENOVATIONS GROUP, INC
    hace 6 años
    Wallpaper is not recommended in a bathroom with a shower because it is hard to maintain with all that moisture. I know there are so many choices out there for tile but since you can't make up your mind just go simple - perhaps subway tile - it's timeless. Then give your bathroom oomph with towels, shower curtain, rugs with fun colors and patterns - there's no commitment and you can change them at any time for a new look!
    Good luck!
  • PRO
    Reinvention Intentions LLC
    hace 6 años
    If you desire wallpaper because of the variety of patterns, colors, and designs, you may want to consider wall stencils. Cutting Edge Stencils has a lot stencil categories to choose from. There are other companies as well...
  • Lane S
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you for your response. I thought of painting but I never see paint jobs that look like the pictures. I assume that is because most people do not take the time to prep the walls correctly? I hired contractors to paint my living room and i did have a light gray wall before and they just painted right over it. Do you think this is why the walls look dull to me? We used good paint (Behr)
  • leelee
    hace 6 años
    Of course they painted over the light paint. Unless I'm missing something that's what any painter would have done. Only if the walls had been a super dark color would they have covered the old paint with something before using the new paint color.

Your walls might look dull because you chose a flat vs a satin finish. Not that flat is bad but it sounds as if you were expecting more of a satin finish.
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 6 años
    If you have trouble deciding on tile now, you may not make up your mind after you put in shower surrounds. I agree with Sweetwater Builders comment: choose something simple such as plain white tile in a classic subway pattern. Most of your ideabook photos show vintage style bathrooms with pretty simple tile. The wall tile on this photo in your ideabook is a good example of classic (the floor tile is not a classic).
    Powder Room · Más información
  • Lane S
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    How do you think a border would look? too much for subway?
  • PRO
    RENOVATIONS GROUP, INC
    hace 6 años
    A border would be a nice addition and not overwhelm the tile. You're doing it right!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Al continuar en este sitio o utilizar esta aplicación, acepto que el grupo Houzz pueda utilizar cookies y tecnologías similares para mejorar sus productos y servicios, ofrecerme contenido relevante y personalizar mi experiencia. Saber más.