elouise_greiner

Lounge Room Design dilemma

hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

Hi everyone, thanks for reading!

We are updating our lounge room & just wanting some styling advice. We have beautiful high ceilings and plenty of natural light. Sheer blinds in situ.

Buying all new fueniture & have purchased- both lounges, Glass coffee table, & book ends in attached mood board. Undecided on rug, tv unit/which one/colour, window furnishings etc.

Inspiration from fenton & Fenton & west elm.... love big colour statement pieces but don’t know where to use it.

Would love to hear what you think!

Thank you!

Comentarios (15)

• hace 4 años

I'll be the desenting voice ( again ) haha .

Every single bit of furniture looks like it was from a trendy catalogue ( nothing wrong with that ) BUT you have black tube , black glass , chrome , charcoal , wood , brown leather , orange , white , light grey and mid grey . Each piece is different , with no real common style or theme .

Sorry to be critical , but I guess ( assuming you have purchased all of those ) add some accessories . At least 8 bright orange cushions and 6 crisp white ones ( or white with orange polka dots or even stripes for fun ) . Paint any wooden legs black to try and get a theme going .

A couple of mid sized ( maybe 20-25cm ) bright orange glazed pots -- maybe one with a cactus and a couple of green leafy plants , the other with an arrangement of driftwood and dried wheat and something with browny orange leaves .

A large abstract pic with apricot and orange and mid yellow , with the odd splash of red and sunshine yellow and blue and green and teal .

A rug in toned down versions of that palette ( or pallet haha ) .

Orange and maybe some yellow shades is about all I can think of to co-ordinate and lift this -- blues , greens , charcoals , browns , greys would all get lost , whilst red would clash with some of the furniture IMO .

• hace 4 años

Thank you! Appreciate the frank feedback. and totally agree there isn’t much consistency yet. We have only purchased both couches, the glass coffee table, orange planter & the rug arrived today. Not In love with the leather couch but that was hubby‘s choice now I have to work with it. “Rolling eyes”

cushions & planters aren’t a must for the room just tossing up colours.

what would you suggest for a contemporary look using just the couches & rug without other styling pieces?

Thanks in advance!

• hace 4 años

Could you show us a pic with the new rug in place? Is the tripod lamp staying? At the moment it is sticking out a bit. Could you mount the TV?

El G agradeció a bigreader
  • hace 4 años

I'm no expert -- I just have a few places that I decorate myself ( mostly commercial properties these days ) , and 30 years experience of moving every few years .

The whole idea of cushions and pots and rugs is to try and get a theme going -- in this case both Julie and I have focussed on orange , as it ties in with black , white , grey , and the tan .

I really like the leather couch , ( IMO the grey chaise is a bit of a 'nothing' in that it doesn't blend in , but also doesn't add anything ) BUT I would have then gone 'hunting lodge' with a wooden TV cabinet ( as long as your white one ) ; a coffee table with wooden legs ( the black glass top is fine , or a nice mid brown stained wooden top with a strong grain ) ; and the chaise in a similar tan fabric ( probably hard to match in fabric ) or a wheat colour ( light yellowy cream ) . Then later you might like to add a couple of wingback style chairs in that tan leather ; a couple of those spotlights with wooden tripod legs ; etc , etc , but again just my opinion , an orange based painting ( now , not later ) and cushions just ties everything in and adds a bit of visual excitement as well as co-ordination -- it would work with your existing furniture or if you went more 'hunting lodge' .

El G agradeció a User
  • PRO
    hace 4 años

Should you want something very unique, may we suggest our latest range of Teak Leaf Wall Art. These are not paintings or prints but real leaves dried, dyed and arrange in numerous patterns. There are never two alike so you would have statement pieces NO ONE else would have exactly the same item. Please view these images the gain an idea of what is on offer, NOTE: there are hundreds more colour / pattern combinations available. You can email me direct at terry@organicdesignsau.com.au for further information.

• hace 4 años

Actually , looking again , just a thought -- if the chaise lounge was recovered in mid-orange or brighter ( yes , it won't be cheap ) , the rest would all look more co-ordinated . Me -- I'd go bright orange ( almost like those 70's brocade fabrics ) on the chaise , a large abstract picture that is at least 20% bright orange , and those gloss orange glazed pots . The tan leather couch , the black coffee table , the white TV cabinet -- all fit in with the orange !

• hace 4 años

Love that leather lounge, and wall mount the TV and lower the low art work to eye level

• hace 4 años

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your suggestions. All the furniture in the second and third pics Are gone they were just for context of the room So I’m starting with a big clean slate empty room. Love that orange artwork you suggested Julie!

• hace 4 años

I think it will make a real statement and highlight your beautiful choices.

• hace 4 años

Why not combine Julies artwork suggestion , and Organic Designs , and hang an orange peel on the wall . . . . . . . . . . . . .

El G agradeció a User
  • hace 4 años

Just make sure that you are comfortable sitting and not in great need of s cushion. Cushions are great, but if relied on for support while prolonged sitting over 20 minutes, forget it and go for good back support. These days the settee are for lounging and lying on not sitting in a comfortable posture. They are often too deep and too low. Best advice, set aside 6 hours for lounge shopping, sit for at least 10 minutes in your choice, keep on going back and having a sit. Never purchase that day, but see how your back is. Then go back. They are an investment in ‘no back’ trouble.

• hace 4 años

Haha Potsy I’m sure orange peel artwork has been done before! A quickly google search brings interesting things! Rug in room with all the old furniture that’s going!

• hace 4 años

Fabulous rug.

El G agradeció a julie herbert
  • PRO
    hace 4 años

Great rug. I definitely would suggest trying to contrast the warm tone of the floor boards which you have done so well here with the cool, ice tones of the rug. Also great work putting together a mood board, it helps with the designing process.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.