Houzz Logo Print
donald_maciver

Kitchen revamp on a budget

Donald MacIver
hace 4 años

Looking for advice on what i can do to my existing kitchen to try and bring it up to scratch. I'm on a very tight budget, but I hope to be able to replace the worktops, install a new sink and taps, new vinyl flooring, and maybe paint the kitchen cupboard doors. I've been looking extensively online for ideas, and most of the DIY painted kitchens I've come across are that of a shaker style, my cupboard doors are of an older arched style - am I wasting my time with trying to bring these up to date with a coat of paint? The carcasses in my kitchen are in good condition, and the doors are solid wood. I'm looking for some help and ideas on colour schemes, quite like the look of grey painted kitchens, but don't know what kind of worktops and flooring colours would go with a grey theme. Thanks in advance for any advice or help provided. Photos below show my current kitchen.

Comentarios (10)

• Daisy England
    hace 4 años

You could always just buy the doors and keep the existing carcases if you feel as though you don’t like the arched shape. Granted it is a bit out of date but if you only have a budget for X amount then keep them and paint them. I’ll bet you notice a huge difference from the dark wooden fascias.

if you’re going with grey fascias then a pale worktop suits. Look at Calacatta Marbles. Available in a laminate to keep within budget.

• rinked
    hace 4 años

New doors are expensive too, so I'd say paint it is, for now. Some new handles/knobs.

Are you in dire need of a new laminate top? Or can it wait until there's budget to replace the kitchen, as I do see some layout issues (mainly the stove right in the corner and the fridge being under a window).

• rinked
    hace 4 años
  • Carolina
    hace 4 años

Hi, would you consider painting them a soft grey/green colour? If the countertop is in good condition, find a shade of green that goes with them. From what I can see of your floor, I do like it. I think the wallpaper needs a change. With the type of kitchen doors, I'd go for a country style.

Changing the knobs for a simpler style will make a big difference too.

kitchen and breakfast room · Más información

• Sarah U-S
    hace 4 años

You’ve mentioned being on a budget - do you have a figure in mind? This would help us understand your limitations a little better! What I’ve noticed on here is that people view “budget” very differently!!!!

• rachelmidlands
    hace 4 años

I have nearly the exact same kitchen doors but in oak. Whilst they’re old fashioned they’re really good quality so in a similar situation where a full kitchen refurb is not within our budget yet I’ve decided to paint them myself. Going for a very similar scheme to Carolina’s inspo image but a really dark green base unit colour. No where near finished yet as had to put project on hold but will hopefully crack on again with it soon. There’s plenty of tips online for painting but I like using E.S.P. (Easy surface prep) from Owatrol for priming as you don’t need to sand and I’ve used it on pretty much everything...can be tricky to use tho. Thoroughly clean with sugar soap before you do any painting, priming, etc. Eggshell paint or satin paint is probably best finish for kitchen units but I’m doing mine slightly different with emulsion then clear varnish. No real reason but I personally think it’s a little more hard wearing. Also plan to extend the upper cabinets to include open shelves with lighting in, something like the inspo pic below.

• Donald MacIver
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for all the comments, some good ideas here for me to consider. My budget is about £600. What colours would you suggest for the doors if I was to try and ”live with” my existing green worktop?

• 1shanson
    hace 4 años

How about going black? For inspiration view Thehousethatblackbuilt on Instagram. This lady painted similar units and achieved a great high end look.

• PRO
    Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
    hace 4 años

Can we see some pictures of the other side of the kitchen? Painting the kitchen cabinets it's a good idea since the are in good condition and it is solid wood. About the colour, it would be good to see the whole space (table, chairs, doors) to make sure that the cabinets will match with the other side of the kitchen.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.