lakehouse2457

Shutters or not Shutters

lakehouse2457
hace 4 años

Wondering about putting shutters on the large bottom windows of either side of the house? Thinking about a simple shaker style in something like Benjamin Moore's Dragon Breath. Will be painting the door black and grills to it as well. Thank you.

Comentarios (30)

• Usuario de Houzz-516596472
    hace 4 años

I agree.

lakehouse2457 agradeció a Usuario de Houzz-516596472
  • Usuario de Houzz-516596472
    hace 4 años
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Do you plan on painting the outside lights the same color as your door I think that small fix would compliment all the faciel. Don’t know if you have a gate in front but that house definitely deserves one
    lakehouse2457 agradeció a Usuario de Houzz-516596472
  • typeandrun
    hace 4 años

I would remove the bottom window grids, and just keep the top

lakehouse2457 agradeció a typeandrun
  • lakehouse2457
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Do you mean the grills in the windows? They are inside the glass - can't remove. Thanks for the photo though.

• lakehouse2457
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The outside lights are black, so they will be the same colour as the door, once it is painted.

• lakehouse2457
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Do you think the Dragon's Breath for shutters and black for the door would work? I like the greeny kind of colour that the plants bring in the spring which is why I liked the Dragon's Breath (kind of green, brown and grey). Or do you think a different colour is better? Thank you so much! :)

• st5330
    hace 4 años

shutters! around here almost all houses have them and hardly any follow the ”houzz rule” about width- we all know the shutters are decor only and not functional!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

IMO the house looks better without shutters and IMO all homes need a walkway to the front door from the road and that would add a lot to your house The planters should be much larger and in black filled with colorful seasonal plantings and the lights in black for sure.The landscaping in front needs a good trim and cleanup too.

• scottie mom
    hace 4 años

Looks like the shutters were there at some point. Unless you’re going to do real ones, don’t do them at all. Focus on the plantings instead.

• RedRyder
    hace 4 años

I’d paint the door first, then re-evaluate the question. The trim on your house is substantial and it’s possible the shutters will just make the front look overcrowded. You’re house is quite pretty. The front landscaping needs to be cut back, May different plantings.

• lakehouse2457
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Would you do a black door and Dragon's Breath shutters or vice versa? Or would you do the same colour for both? Thanks:)

• RedRyder
    hace 4 años

Maybe someone can photoshop a black door before you paint it, but I think it would look dramatic and classic.

lakehouse2457 agradeció a RedRyder
  • lakehouse2457
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I think I'll paint the door black then decide on shutters:) Thank you!

• NancyD
    hace 4 años

Have you given any thought to painting the wide band of white with a similar color to the bricks?

• lakehouse2457
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

We had actually done that originally. Since it was stucco, it looked out of place. It also was not at the same level as the brick. We added trim work to make it level/flush and kept it the original colour - and it seems to look much better. Thank you though:)

• houssaon
    hace 4 años

I really like the Georgian style of your house. I think a black front door would look good. Keep the stucco white.

You could do a dark blue (almost navy) or a hunter green for the shutters.

lakehouse2457 agradeció a houssaon
  • lakehouse2457
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

So keep the colour on the shutters, not the door? Keep the door black. Thanks:)

• RedRyder
    hace 4 años

Houssaon’s photo shows your house with a black door and with all the dramatic trim around it, I think it adds elegance to your house. I’m still not sure about shutters....

• chiflipper
    hace 4 años

Very classic, formal home which deserves appropriate symmetrical foundation plantings. Change the landscaping, paint the door and fretwork, then decide about the shutters.

lakehouse2457 agradeció a chiflipper
  • lakehouse2457
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The landscaping is only a year old....what needs to be changed or what would you recommend?

• chiflipper
    hace 4 años

http://images.traditionalhome.mdpcdn.com/sites/traditionalhome.com/files/slide/101478345_w.jpg

A selection of no more than 3 /4 plants, example; boxwood, hydrangea, hosta, rose bush. Starting at left edge of left window...proceeding to right edge of right window...nothing higher than bottom of window. The "classic arrangement" is very stately and manicured. What you have now is a Mullet hairdo atop a Chanel couture suit.

• lakehouse2457
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

So I need help. Would you keep anything that I already have and add to it? There's a lot in the photo you sent, but I like it - it's simple and has layers.

• RedRyder
    hace 4 años

I have a porch that was overpowered by the landscaping. So I went to a local nursery and paid the landscape designer to come up with a plan that wouldn’t have anything grow too high. (Most of what she suggested were dwarf varieties, so start researching those. ) They are lower maintenance (which was a priority for me) but really pretty. It’s worth talking to a professional. She came to visit and spent over an hour talking to me and sketching ideas. Two weeks later we met to discuss her plan, made some slight changes and started some of the planting this year. (I ripped out everything that was there.). This spring it looked ten times better because you could finally see my porch!

• chiflipper
    hace 4 años

Sorry, none of your current plantings are suitable. Your comment "simple and has layers" tells me you instinctively recognize what works with your home's style. Budget has to be considered; if possible add a center walk as Patricia suggested and deepen the plant beds. After deciding on the scope of work (just replacing plants or a demo) find a local plant nursery and pay them to do on-site measurements. It will take several years for everything to "fill in" but, you will enhance your curb appeal ten-fold.

• lakehouse2457
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

We went around today to the local greenhouses. Not too many hedge options for our climate (Northwestern Ontario). Boxwood is not recommended, not is cedar as it browns and the deer eat it. The main recommendation is cotoneaster hedge or a caragana hedge. Thoughts on this one?

I liked the yew, but we can't find many and it is borderline 3-4 zone (we need a 3 zone). Another option is an aspen currant hedge, which I also can't find.

The recommendations of the landscaper are to just do the one hedge, nothing behind it. What do you think? Would you keep any of the shrubs behind? Or add something to them? We thought of keeping the hydrangea, then adding two more to each side (like a second row behind the hedge) but not sure as it will block the window. What do you think?

Thanks again.

• J Gregory
    hace 4 años

I am going to vote no on shutters.

lakehouse2457 agradeció a J Gregory
  • lakehouse2457
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

RedRyder and chiflipper, you've made more work for me! lol:)

• chiflipper
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_botanical_gardens_in_Canada

Scroll down to Ontario section, be specific on your location, write a nice letter (I need plants to replicate this "look") and enclose the photo I posted, request help in locating plant vendors. Autumn is a great time to do this as they aren't "working" outside during the winter.

• PRO
    MetroNet Realty
    hace 4 años

please comment on my thread

Check out this discussion on Houzz - https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5835425/need-opinion-on-exterior-windows-trim-and-shutters

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.