Houzz Logo Print
111tulip

How to freshen up tiny bathroom

111tulip
hace 4 años

Our master bathroom is tiny and I am looking to freshen it up. We don’t have the budget to pull up the floor tile (bottom right) or countertop (upper right). Any recommendations on wall color or maybe even something we could do for a small accent wall? Countertops are grey & white, floor is light blue, shower is grey & white with a sort of light blue & green accent tile.

Comentarios (16)

• PRO
    Vintage Tub & Bath
    hace 4 años

Adding new fixtures (sink faucet, tub faucet, etc.) is always a great and affordable option for freshing up a bathroom.

• millworkman
    hace 4 años

How about backing up a bit and giving us pics of the entire room?

• tqtqtbw
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I like the elements we can see and would paint all the walls, no accent wall, as a first choice cost-effective change. I think the paint used in the first photo below would be a good option. If you want a more dramatic change and have good light, I would do a navy. A light gray is also an option. With all the paint options, I would do fluffy white rugs and towels. soap dish/tooth brush holders in a metal to match the fixtures/door knobs.

The designer forthe 1st room didn't see to provide the paint color, but it looks like SW Rainwashed.

Live Oak · Más información

Ponder Modern Powder Bath · Más información

New York Area Interior · Más información

• 111tulip
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Here are some photos that better capture the space.

• tqtqtbw
    hace 4 años

What color is that at the bottom of the shower curtain? Also, please add another picture of the counter top. The pattern is much more intense that the first photo captures.

• tartanmeup
    hace 4 años

What does the mirror above the vanity look like? Perhaps that could be a quick low-cost change? What about the light fixtures? Do you have any "art" on the walls to make you smile? From what I can see, your bathroom looks pretty nice and doesn't need a "refresh" but that's my opinion.

• shirlpp
    hace 4 años

One thing for sure is I'd go with a fabric shower liner. They hang so much nicer.

• shirlpp
    hace 4 años

That countertop looks gorgeous from what I can see. Why would you even consider changing it.

• calidesign
    hace 4 años

I think a very pale greenish blue would look great on all the walls. I would switch out the shower curtain for a solid white one, with a white fabric lining. Use a darker rug that blends more with the floor.

• User
    hace 4 años

fresh paint for the walls. that trim really looks like it needs paint too.

I'd paint the cabinets. they seem too white and make the tile seem dingy by comparison.

also, does the floor grout need to be deep cleaned / resealed? (or is it just a more ivory color?)

better lighting. I like GE Reveal LED bulbs in the bathroom. super flattering on the interior, and also when you look in the mirror, LOL.

I agree that a fabric curtain liner would be better, and you can throw them in the wash with bleach! we don't even use two shower curtains, ours is a slightly heavier polyester and works just fine alone.

also think about whether you might like to swap out out mirror, faucet, light fixtures, towels, rugs, art...

• cpartist
    hace 4 años

Paint the wall a deep blue to pick up the floor tile color and take away from all the different tiles

• 111tulip
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks again for all of the useful feedback! To answer a few questions:

-The shower curtain is white/silver/medium blue. I'm not set on it and I think the idea to move to a white one and/or liner is a great idea

-The countertop is a busy charcoal/light grey/white/off white mix. I think it is a little tough to match with the shower (which I love- but has more of a light blue/aqua tile in it) and the floor

-I appreciate the wall color suggestions. The walls definitely need to be repainted. The previous owners left it sort of half painted and there are several small holes from where wall fixtures were moved.

-The floor is early 1980's light blue tile. So the grout is definitely a little dingy, but not sure if it was ever white?? Hoping to distract from the floor with better matching color palette above :-)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

first thing I'd do is scrub those baseboards and window molding and repaint in a nice bright white.

secondly, lose the warm light bulbs that are casting a yellow/pink tone on everything. try a cooler, 4000K temp light bulb. can't see your light fixture, so I don't know if that could get switched.

as for the floor tiles, you can recolor the grout. that dingy yellow is horrible. Try GroutRenew (home depot) in a medium gray, or a white.

I think once you do that, and get a curtain and paint, you'll see a big diff.

try a curtain with white and a gray that isn't so blue.

you don't have the best pics of the bathroom, so it's hard to see what would work well.

Crushed ice is a nice, light gray. or try some samples of any of these

Or, you can actually paint the tiles to hold you over until you have the budget to rip it out.

You don't have to do this pattern, just showing you the option.

these tiles have a primer on them, and then floor paint using a stencil

• Emily Richardson
    hace 4 años

I think I'd add a jute or subtly striped cotton runner rug instead of the bath mat. And maybe try to add some green plants if you've got room. Use those blue walls and neutrals to create a kind of natural, beachy look

• Sammie J
    hace 4 años

I very much agree that recoloring the grout is a must. I did it in a bathroom (not by choice - red nail polish broke and I couldn't clean the grout) and it stayed great looking for 4 years....we have since sold the house, so not sure of the longevity now.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.