Houzz Logo Print
lucyrandel

Mantel or no mantel for resurfaced fireplace

Lucy R
hace 4 años

We are resurfacing our gas fireplace with ledger stone, Emser sand/quartzite, and topping the hearth with a brushed taj mahal quartzite. Old mantel was scalloped wood that matched paneling which is being replaced with vertical grain fir boards in natural finish. Height of mantel is set by existing holes. Do we just Skip it? Or install narrow mantel to mstch the fir or the quartzite? Tv on adjacent wall to left. Bar/kitchen peninsula with Silestone Lusso to the right. Wood treatments under bar, on TV wall and opposite wall which will have full length floating shelves/cabinets. firebox to be painted black. In Houston, so fireplace not used much. more photos in comments.

Comentarios (35)

• Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Pardon the construction zone. Note we have 8 ft ceilings. Also floor will 3/4“ oak planks with reddish finish. That is another option for mantel.

This is unfinished wood treatment. This wall will have almost full length shelving.

• felizlady
    hace 4 años

I would definitely put a mantel on the fireplace, and I would choose wood to match the flooring, or a bit darker if you want some contrast.

Lucy R agradeció a felizlady
  • PRO
    Unique Dwelling
    hace 4 años

I love a good wood mantel, but it might be nice in this case to go without a mantel. I'm afraid a mantel would make your ceiling look even shorter. I love your wood wall though. I would love to see your finished product. Good luck.

Lucy R agradeció a Unique Dwelling
  • Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

This is my husband’s baby. When urged not to replace paneling in a forced remodel he searched for an up to date wood treatment. The shelves will be something like this but there will be 4 ft high shelves at top and a 16 inch gap with a 16 inch high/18 inch deep floating cabinet below. I don’t have exact dimensions in front of me. We also have a full 12 sliding long south facing sliding door similar to the inspiration photo.

• Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Some other fireplace inspiration photos. Similar stone. Similar shape without mantel. Similar stone with dark mantel

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

No ledger stone it is already done and done . Use a nice simple 12 x24 porcelain tile in a color that works with your space . I would say no to a mantel and just a nice large piece of art . I have to tell you I hate corner fireplaces and often finish them to make them almost disappear since I very often ignore them when placing furniture .

Lucy R agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    K Interior Design Group
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I am with Patricia!! Ledger stone is done, and done. However, I just had a client that insisted on doing ledger stone. SO....... I had to go searching for it. Ugh!!!

Well, I was happy to find one in Floor and Decor, that was smooth and somewhat more refined, so it was a happy medium, I guess??

Anyway, If your ceiling is 8 foot tall, I do not suggest putting a mantel at all. It will look out of sorts and overtake the fireplace.

This was another client that had one in his home and it was hideous.. Ceiling heights are 8 foot here too.. GO with what Patricia is saying a clean 12 x 24 tile will look a ton better..

Lucy R agradeció a K Interior Design Group
  • Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The different opinions on ledger stone are interesting. Our colors are similar to the Fireplace from Berkeley above with the stone and wood bench. It is about an inch thick with mortar and was recommended by our designer. The house was built in 1960.

• eaw 513
    hace 4 años

I have to agree with the designers about no mantel, leave the whole face clean. As far as the stone choice, get what you like, almost everything goes out of style at some point. Good luck!

Lucy R agradeció a eaw 513
  • Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

A lot of photos online have high ceilings so we have to be careful with our inspiration. I think we are leaning toward no mantel. There would only be about 3 feet open space above it. We would use same location as before, since we are not going to make new holes.

• PRO
    K Interior Design Group
    hace 4 años

I think that's probably the best, and why I showed you an 8 foot ceiling one so you could see what not to do.. Again wrap it in whatever makes you happy. Ledger stone, porcelain, wood, or metal.. You're the one that's going to like with it.

Lucy R agradeció a K Interior Design Group
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

There was no ledger stone in the 60s thank god keep it simple or you will be back in a year wondering what to do with your fireplace .And wahtever you decide do not mix a bunch of different materials for sure

Lucy R agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

K our old grill was brass but will not go back

• jbtanyderi
    hace 4 años

Ledger stone is a very mountain cabin look. Will your furniture work with that? Don’t try a square timber: it will only amplify the cabin look. Have a look at 1/2” tempered glass supported by black or bronze straps.

Lucy R agradeció a jbtanyderi
  • Kendrah
    hace 4 años

No mantle.

Lucy R agradeció a Kendrah
  • Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

We don't have furniture picked put yet. We will have built in shelves, some simple bar stools, and probably some slim recliners and a coffee table.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

they have some great looking split face stone now for fireplaces. my tile place has an entire wall dedicated to diff looks (for fireplace). these are just 4 of what they had. (I think these are marble instead of the regular slate you're prob considering) I suggest you go take a look at everything else they have to offer

Lucy R agradeció a Beth H. :
  • Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Beth this is what we have selected. In a light quartzite with gold tones that pick up the wood in the room and the quartzite hearth.

• Marian Hernandez
    hace 4 años

I would very much say to go for adding the mantel. One that matches the floor would match beautifully.
    I don't know modern you like things, but maybe a deep metal mantel to break up all the wood. I'll make separate post with example of what I'm talking about.

Lucy R agradeció a Marian Hernandez
  • redsilver
    hace 4 años

You have a great open space, you can change out wreaths, family portrait, mirror, mirror collage?, chiming clock, or............have a glass mantel installed? Whatever you put on it will be 'floating'.........and not hide your stone.. https://www.brookscustom.com/portfolio-view/regular-glass-countertops/attachment/3-regular-glass-mantle-shelf/ or this....it should be a thick as a line of your stone is.https://www.pinterest.com/pin/816347869935647974/ or this http://www.jungleecamp.com/installing-fireplace-mantel-shelf/new-fireplace-mantel-shelf/ and the headline does not match the picture here, but you can study the picture.. https://www.eniac-modern.org/view.html#aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudmVyYW5zdGFsdHVuZ3NlcnZpY2UuaW5mby91cGxvYWQvMjAxOS8wMy8wMy9ncmV5LXN0ZWVsLW1hbnRlbC1zaGVsZi1vbi1yb3VnaC13YWxsLWZpcmVwbGFjZS1lbGVnYW50LW1vc2FpYy1zaGVsdmVzLWZpcmVwbGFjZS1tYW50ZWwtbC01Mjg1OGFiMzk2ZDBjODgzLmpwZ3xHcmV5IFN0ZWVsIE1hbnRlbCBTaGVsZiBPbiBSb3VnaCBXYWxsIEZpcmVwbGFjZSBFbGVnYW50fG1vc2FpYyBzaGVsdmVzIGZpcmVwbGFjZSBtYW50ZWx8 >>>>>>>>>>>>> and you have to see this dramatic photo...it is on page 3 of the photos in this article. It is awesome! http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20050928&slug=pacificplane02

Benjamin Benschneider | The Seattle Times

The white glass mantel in the media room was made by glass artist Peter David to resemble a block of ice. The couple call the fireplace Fire and Ice. So you can see, mantles can be of many other materials, including stainless, glass, thick or thin, frosted or of a color you love, and they can be of copper or whatever your imagination leads you. So, think about all the possibilities and if you want to wait till everything else is done, in your home, the completed effect will lead you where you want to go most likely.

Lucy R agradeció a redsilver
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

Lucy, these aren't quartzite (or technically slate) my pics are marble. If you're going w/this golden slate, then that's what the others are saying about it being a bit dated.

is this what you're using?

• Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The one we are looking at is a split face which Emser calls quartzite but that may just be the color. It feels like stone but the data sheet is not completely clear. https://www.emser.com/products/structure-collection?variant=12099094610033

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

yes they call it quartzite (and prob has deposits in there) but geologically speaking its Slate . just like what I posted above. Out here it's called California Gold.

I have it around my koi pond, but in large tiles

There's nothing else you like?

• Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

It was a late addition because we could not get the brick clean. The tile is not flat. It is split face. It Actually goes pretty well with the vertical grain fir. Designer, tile fabricator and GC all like it. This is the wood stain. 4 inch Horizontal boards on wall in this room

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

I agree. I think it works fine. If you like it, it's all that matters!

Lucy R agradeció a Beth H. :
  • groveraxle
    hace 4 años

I hope that tape on the wall to the right of the fireplace is not where you plan to hang your TV. If so, it's too high.

• Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

It was there for us to get an idea of where it should be. We are planning to lower it a few inches. The tape is at the recommended height promoted by tv manufacturers/sales people.

• Lucy R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Carpentry and tile around fireplace are done. Still have an option for a mantel if we want one. Now what do you think about a mantel? To right of fireplace are 2 shelves covered up. Space for TV above them.

• ci_lantro
    hace 4 años

I like the modern vibe with the horizontal wood. I would stucco the fireplace...white. No mantel.

No stone because it will interfere with the linear feel of the room....with the wood on the walls and wood floors.

Lucy R agradeció a ci_lantro
  • dogsandcats7
    hace 4 años

It’s beautifu! Nice choices. I would do a mantel—you might want to use it and you are used to having one there.

Lucy R agradeció a dogsandcats7
  • Lidia
    hace 4 años

I love Beth H and her completely objective views while still being a nice person.

• groveraxle
    hace 4 años

Your shelf below the TV needs to be longer than the width of the TV and the TV should be lower.

• groveraxle
    hace 4 años

Lucy R agradeció a groveraxle
  • LT Dub
    hace 4 años

You can always have a mantel added later After seeing how you like the fireplace without It.

I always felt my fireplace looked unfinished without one, even when I had a television on the fireplace.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.