Houzz Logo Print
elly_twidwell

Steam shower or no

Elly Twidwell
hace 4 años

We are installing white marble (thassos) tile in our master bathroom and I can’t decide if I should install a steam shower or not. I love the thought of aromatherapy in the shower.

Comentarios (14)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 4 años

It's totally a personal decision but my vote is no.

A few reasons why:

-They're more expensive

-You won't see a return on that money during resale

-They require additional skills to install

-There is a greater risk of water damage, especially if it's improperly installed (which you can't always tell in the beginning)

-From my experience, people rarely use them as often as they expect

Elly Twidwell agradeció a Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • My House
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Is this your forever home? If you are looking for + vs - ...

From a medical standpoint, steam can assist with respiratory problems, like COPD by thinning the mucus in the lungs- and making it easier to clear -by coughing the secretions. (Why coughing babies are placed in steam- their tiny bronchial tubes clog with mucus quickly) . You could sit at a table with a bowl of hot water and a towel draped to trap the steam.

Elly Twidwell agradeció a My House
  • Brown Dog
    hace 4 años

Aromatherapy is popular now, but will it be in 5 years? 10 years?

Elly Twidwell agradeció a Brown Dog
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

If the Thassos has any hidden ore deposits in the stone, rust stains will make it to the surface in no time.

Elly Twidwell agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • tina d
    hace 4 años

I don't know about marble tile and steam shower compatibility, but with respect to steam showers alone- we installed one in our main family bathroom and it is fantastic. I have only used it a handful of times (husband uses it regularly), however when I do, it is luxurious and I wonder why I don't use it more often. We don't have aromatherapy option but I still love having steam shower at home and glad we did it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I actually like prefab steam showers in retrofits so maybe check them out. They take all the issues away and are done in a couple of days Did this one for a client and added the aroma therapy option It is called Monaco from Aquapeutics.

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

If you are already installing, it is too late. A steamer is designed differently in several important details. It had to be constructed to be vapor proof, not just waterproof. It’s a significant jump in expense over the average 7/9K shower expense.

• PRO
    Jensen Design
    hace 4 años

A steam shower is as much a lifestyle choice as it is anything else. Do you have the time to truly enjoy the steam shower and aroma therapy? If it is just a choice of comfort and personal use, then base your decision on if it will add joy and relaxation to your life. If it is an investment question, I would agree that you will not likely see a return on investment for a feature like this when you go to resell your house. I know people that swear that a steam shower will change your life! I have a steam shower in my current house, and I can tell you that I would never miss it, if it was gone. It's just not important to me. But it might be to you. Best of luck.

• Sue 430
    hace 4 años

I have a steamer in my shower and really love it. It didn't cost a lot extra to add while we were redoing the bathroom. I have natural slate in there and it has fared well. There is only a small touch pad in the shower itself to turn the steam on, the rest of the equipment is behind the wall. There is no water in the steamer. it simply provides the heat to make the steam. I have allergies and asthma, and I love a good eucalyptus oil steam when I'm not feeling well. Also nice on a cold winter day to get it nice and steamy in there before you get in!

Elly Twidwell agradeció a Sue 430
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

They are very nice to have provided you have no trace of a heart condition, otherwise they are too hard on your heart.

• AJCN
    hace 4 años

I have always read on this forum that marble in a shower is a bad idea, and marble in a steam shower is a really bad idea. Can you use porcelain?

My sister has a marble steam shower and it's been an absolute maintenance disaster. She could have just as easily put in a porcelain tile instead of marble, but she got bad advice and didn't know any better at the time.

• millworkman
    hace 4 años

"A steamer is designed differently in several important details. It had to be constructed to be vapor proof, not just waterproof."

In case you didn't read it when Cook's Kitchen posted it the first time............................

Elly Twidwell agradeció a millworkman
  • Elly Twidwell
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I’ve decided not to install a steam system. Thank you for your input!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.