Houzz Logo Print
gabby247

New flooring making the dining table look too orange?

Gabby Wong
hace 4 años

Soo... no pics of a direct comparison as I thought I had, but now can't find it and now we've put the table into storage... sorry!

Basically we have an oak dining table, that we want to keep and my OH loves... and we've fallen for Karndean Van Gogh birch flooring... which is paler in colour, but like the texture of it as well and the finish..

It's relatively light wooden floor effect that works really well with the kitchen etc we've chosen, however I'm worried that it'll make the dining table too orange by comparison...

I know the obvious answer is to change the floor we choose or change the table... but can anyone think of other solutions that would help?

I'm wondering about a rug under the table (although the OH doesn't think that's a practical idea for when people drop food etc. plus we're planning on getting a dog..)

The other pics have snippets of the table in to get a slight idea...

So any other bright ideas from you clever people? would a rug be sufficient do you think? Is it always going to bug me? (he really doesn't care... as far as he's concerned, we like the table and we like the floor... job done! LOL)

Comentarios (15)

• jackymack71
    hace 4 años

We have a grey toned pale oak laminate and almost the same colours you have chosen for your kitchen. We had kept some of our original oiled oak furniture. When we put back in place the furniture looked awful, really orange, we donated it all to my parents! Will try and post photo

• PRO
    Valiant Design
    hace 4 años

I have 2 words! DASH & ALBERT! Their indoor/outdoor rugs will rock your world!

Watch this video on how to clean them... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLpcRyB-Y4Y

Be sure when shopping it says that it is an indoor outdoor with the features shown in the above video for EASY CLEANING! They have some that are not so easy to clean as well so just be on your toes to get the right kind.

Dash & Albert actually has a HOUZZ profile...just not too many pictures added yet.

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/projects/nuanced-neutrals-pj-vj~2072995

But you can find their products all over online, too. Nothing you can buy through HOUZZ yet (hopefully they are working on that) but Wayfair and Nordstrom are great reliable sources from which to buy them.

I love the high contrast black/white options, but the soft white is always a strong win too. Have fun shopping!!!

• Sonia
    hace 4 años

Hi Gabby, The floor sounds lovely. Now it depends how attached you both are to the table.......how about going for the flooring then if the table looks wrong, cover it with a tablecloth/oilcloth until funds allow a new table? Or paint the table, a lot of work I know. I think rugs under a table look nice but not great when people drop food and crumbs!

• Gabby Wong
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I think that’s my concern Sonia, my OH loves (admittedly mainly the size of) the table - sat down at it in the store and claimed we weren’t leaving till we had bought it (we were on our way to Ikea at the time!)

It is a lovely oak table that is 1m wide, about 2m long and extends to I think 2.5m

I realise changing the floor to something slightly more similar to the table is probably the most sensible option at this point... just sad as I like it so much! Lol

Maybe an indoor/outdoor rug is a good compromise as easier to clean.

I think another chat is in order and maybe waiting a bit seeing as the floor will be one of the last things to be done! And admittedly we are not going to be there for probably at least 6 weeks...Maybe by then we’ll have run out of money and need to change to something cheaper anyway lol

• Alexandra Chapman
    hace 4 años

Could the table be sanded? I saw someone on IG sand and lime their table. It looked good.

• rachelmidlands
    hace 4 años

Hi Gabby, I like the flooring. My first thought was to paint the table legs as well depending on the style of it but if it’s fairly new and you both like it then I’d go for the rug option. When browsing look for a flat weave polypropylene usually classed as indoor/outdoor or kitchen rugs. I have one in the kitchen with a dog who sheds constantly and we’re forever treading dirt into it but it cleans up very easily. Found this image tho which may help.

• Gabby Wong
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Well it’s nice that you’re not all telling me I’m crazy for not just choosing a different floor! Lol

I think this is pretty close in style and maybe colour to our table https://www.furnituredirectory.co.uk/old-mill-oak-medium-extending-dining-table

I did wonder about the possibility of painting or sanding it down and whether it’s the varnish that makes it so orange?

Different oak tables do sometimes seem a lot paler.. So whether I could put a clearer /lighter varnish one on to make it paler? but am worried I’d just ruin the table!

I think I’d need to find something else to practice on! Before I’d be able to convince him

Also nice to know the rug stands up well with the mess and dog as well!

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 4 años

I would say that a rug would be a good idea anyway as you will have wood on wood and therefore it may be good to break that up a bit. I would try a rug first before you make any decisions as it may solve the issue. We put a rug under our dining table as it felt cold and unhomely without one. It is a pure wool and antique gabbeh ( was around £300 on ebay) and any small accidents wash off due to it being wool. Sisal was a disaster. Not sure if I would have a rug with toddlers, but we are really happy with how it feels and looks. If you do want to grey the table a bit, you would have to sand it and then could apply Lye and/or white oil.

• PRO
    Sandra Flashman Studio
    hace 4 años

Hello Gabby,

The Kardean finish you picked looks lovely. I would definitely stick with it. And if you really love the table, there is no reason not to keep it. I sometimes find it's better not to have your wood finishes so match matchy. It's good to see different tones, rather than similar ones that don't match.

Having said that, there are stains that will help whiten the wood tone on your table, so it can be slightly paler and less orange. It does mean sanding the table down though.

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/osmo-oil-stain?gclid=CjwKCAjwnf7qBRAtEiwAseBO_GePBLSuDPhBdtDxbuDiEWE56IV4YoyTBg1nzuUPhSM8S5LuMNwzkhoCmM0QAvD_BwE

Is your husband handy? If so, this can be an option?

Otherwise, you can consider adding a table runner to the table and dress it up with plants. A rug is also a great idea. I wouldn't worry too much about spillages. If you get a flat weave rug that isn't made of 100% wool, they tend to be pretty easy to clean nowadays.

Below is a reference image. It's a round table (not a rectangle), but hopefully it is helpful.

• Gabby Wong
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you everyone!

You've all helped alleviate some fears about sticking with the floor that we prefer for the sake of the table.

I think we'll continue to plan on that floor (unless funds force a change of plans) and then put the table back and take it from there with regards to how "bad" it really is and how much it bothers us (me)!

I think there are sufficient options that it's worth sticking with currently.. :-)

Realistically Sandra, I think if we did go down the sanding and retaining/painting route, it'd be me doing it, partly as I suspect it'd only be me that would be bothered by the orange-ness of the table!.... other thing that would make it more work is we currently have a matching sideboard and a matching bench!

• Kyle Barrett
    hace 4 años

I don't think it'll look that bad to be honest. Wood being too matchy matchy can be worse, as you don't want the furniture blending directly into the floor. It would look bad if your table was a very saturated tone (read: orange), but it's not really. Both your floor and furniture is quite desaturated.

The rug is really the perfect solution and it's very classic to have a rug under the table, especially if you want to stop your floor getting scuffed up by chairs shifting in and out.

The table cloth idea might cover up the colour of the table top, but where the legs meet the floor will still be kind of muddy in the sense that the colours are close. So I really think the rug is the way to go personally. Especially if you like the table, make it pop on top of a dark rug.

• Gabby Wong
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yea, I agree that too matched isn't great either... but I do think the floor will still bring out all of the orange from the table and sideboard (just found a photo of them!)

But yes, we'll see how we go after we get everything back in and reassess options!

• Kyle Barrett
    hace 4 años

Great comparison there pmasmith!

As you said Gabby, see how it goes but I think there's nothing to worry about if I'm honest. I think it'll look great.

• Gabby Wong
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks everyone! You've all been really reassuring! and you're right pmasmith! it doesn't look bad at all in those pics! :-) Will hopefully update in a couple of months time saying I worried about nothing! lol

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.