Houzz Logo Print
momofthreema

Knobs or Pulls?

Momofthree Ma
hace 4 años

Hi All, back again. We Are doing simply white cabinets and blueish Alaska white counters. We are opening up the kitchen to the dining room and our dark wood table has black dining chairs.
My designer thinks I should do pulls on the cabinet doors and because I am doing black, I think it will be too much black and I would rather do Knobs on doors. I want to order them this week, if you were doing our color combo, would you do Knobs it pulls on the doors? (All drawers plus the long pantry doors will have pulls)

Pulls
Knobs

Comentarios (41)

• Lil S
    hace 4 años

It's your house. Put in what you want! Nothing is wrong with a combination of both. Had to look in my kitchen- knobs on cabinet doors, pulls on drawers.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

I actually do not usually like black pulls or knobs on white cabinets it is to much contrast as for the choice between the two I lke pulls on drawers for sure and one large pull per drawer not two I would need to see the kitchen but in my experience stainless pulls and knobs are a nice choice if you have stainless appliances. All the choices are made with the whole space taken into consideration. I guess my question is why black at all and I would want to see the whole space too

• chocolatebunny123
    hace 4 años

I think black knobs or pulls would give a more rustic vibe. I would actually wait until everything is installed then make a decision.

I have knobs everywhere because that's what the builder installed (not the original owner of my house) and I've been too lazy to change it.

• herbflavor
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Knobs on doors for sure. Black is fine. Find some interesting shape /configuration . You have a bigger open space.....a strong statement to the counter pick...some black at the table area. Eye level knobs can handle size /design statement and I would. With one hole they can always be changed later by you or next person. Have a little fun ...the counter is that way serious kid in the front row of the class.

• Marco
    hace 4 años

Knobs or pulls is your preference. Which will be easier when your hands are wet? Which less likely to break a nail when you are in a hurry? Which less likely to snag your clothes? As for color; Black against white will be harsh, severe, and make the kitchen look cluttered at all times. Who wants the knobs to be the attention-grabber in a nice new kitchen. Go with white on white or perhaps something in the silvery range, such as brushed nickle. Good luck finding the right choice for you (yes, for you, not for the contractor's taste).

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

So, for those who think that the black is too severe, how would you tie the dining table in? I do worry that it will feel visually cluttered.
    I just feel Like if the kitchen is all light and bright it won’t feel like one cohesive space. I just found this pic with silvery hardware, and I think it looks ok. Would this be better? Then what for stools, do
    Something in black and wood as well?

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

This is the current dining room, the wainscoting is going away when the wall comes down. I thought that the black hardware would help to tie it together. My designer doesn’t think I should do it either, but I just want it to all feel like it belongs. And...the granite has black it in, is that enough to tie to the dining room?

• houssaon
    hace 4 años

I like knobs on cabinets and pulls on drawers. Knobs are easier to keep clean.

• herbflavor
    hace 4 años

Why are you removing all the wainscoting?

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Herb, my husband doesn’t think we should take it down, but I thought it would look more current without it. We can leave it, but demo is happening in two weeks, so we need to decide.

• rinked
    hace 4 años

Steel knobs/pulls, with steel light fixtures.

Keep the wainscoting and paint the walls above them a blue from the countertop.

• beckington
    hace 4 años

I don't think black on white looks too harsh but if you are worried about it you could stick to knobs up top and pulls on the bottom. I also think it'll tie in nicely with your dining room. I assume you are keeping the black curtain rod? If so then I'd go with black hardware. But if the only black is your black chairs, you could prob go with a more 'disappearing' colour for the hardware and not have the black as a part of your design. I think it depends on if you really like black (I do personally) and want to have it as a strong accent, or if you don't really like black enough for that!!

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Beckington, I don’t love black, just trying to tie everything together.

• rinked
    hace 4 años

When in doubt, just pick. Black or stainless. Live with your choice and if you make up your mind, buy new handles/knobs. Not THE biggest investment. And if it gives you peace of mind now, why not?

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks Barbara, that looks beautiful! So nice to see it in an actual house. We are doing all recessed lighting because we have 8 foot ceilings and my husband is tall, but I love the way you tied it all together with the lights. I will probably do what Rinq suggested and just make a choice and if I hate it change it out after a year :)

• Barbara
    hace 4 años

I was so indecisive that I bought chrome and black and returned the chrome once I was able to see it in real life. My master is all chrome, I just wanted something different in the kitchen. Here’s another shot to address the knob/pull question. Also personal preference. (I looooove your counter material. )

• justlol
    hace 4 años

People may not like my choices, but this is what I ended up doing and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Beautiful Justlol! All that matters is that you love it. I guess I am just still trying to figure out what I love :)

• chocolatebunny123
    hace 4 años

Now that I've seen pictures of the black, I don't think it's too harsh or rustic.

I like the black curtain rod. It ties in with the chairs nicely.

You can always try distressed nickel if you don't want something as dark as black.

• justlol
    hace 4 años

My kitchen is small and dark handles on everything was too much, so that's why I went with knobs on the cabinets and pulls on the drawers.

• Joy Wills
    hace 4 años

Did you say that you were planning seating at an island or peninsula? If so, find stools that go with (but don't have to match) the dining room furniture. Try to find a chandelier for the dining room that will match or be similar to the kitchen lighting.

As for the pulls, find something that you like the shape of, and see if it comes in multiple color/metals. Get 1 of each that you like as a sample, and see what you prefer once the cabinets are installed. Drawer pulls are one of the very last thing installed, so you have plenty of time.

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks Joy, I will do that. I am such an impatient person that all of the smaller decisions like backsplash and hardware are killing me because they really have to wait.

• Mrs Pete
    hace 4 años

My designer thinks I should do pulls on the cabinet doors and because I am
    doing black, I think it will be too much black and I would rather do Knobs on doors.

Function first: Pulls are easier to -- well, to pull -- than are knobs.

I actually do not usually like black pulls or knobs on white cabinets it is to much contrast

I would prefer the slightly-less-stark brown-black-gold of an oil-rubbed bronze ... but it does depend up on what ties in nicely with your granite. I can't say that my monitor is capturing it fairly.

Knobs or pulls is your preference. Which will be easier when your hands are wet? Which less likely to break a nail when you are in a hurry? Which less likely to snag your clothes?

Remember, too, that you can pop a towel through a pull ... not so with a knob. Always, function first. Your kitchen should be pretty, of course! But it is a working space first.

Love this picture:

Herb, my husband doesn’t think we should take it down, but I thought it would look more current without it. We can leave it, but demo is happening in two weeks, so we need to decide.

Leave it! It's an expensive, upscale item. What's "current" will come and go. Another word for "current" is "trend".

Live with your choice and if you make up your mind, buy new handles/knobs. Not THE biggest investment.

If you're unhappy later, you can even remove the handles and spray paint them. What're you out? The cost of a can of paint and an hour.

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks Mrs Pete! All good points! In my last kitchen I did Knobs on the cabinet doors and pulls on the drawers and it worked really well. I spend a ridiculous amount of time in the kitchen because I have kids with celiac and food allergies, so I agree that function is the number one priority. For this project I was planning to do the same, until my designer mentioned her love of pulls, so it caused some doubt.
    Planning to leave the wainscoting after all the feedback, should we paint it the color of the cabinets or the color of the trim? I just don’t know if I want simply white trim all over the house.
    This is the color scheme that I have had in my head, so I am still hoping to pull it off, but trying to keep an open mind too and not be too set in my ways.

• Kelly Lemay
    hace 4 años

I think the black on white will look great!

I highly recommend making some kind of scale drawings of your cabinets and draw in the knobs and pulls to scale to see what you think looks best. This can also really help if you have different sized pulls to choose from and need to pick. I am doing my bathrooms right now and made some drawings on my computer. You could do it on graph paper or if you were given cabinet drawings that show what your layout will be you could make copies and draw knobs and pulls on them to see what you like best. In my kitchen I ended up doing knobs on all cabinet doors and pulls on all drawers in two different sizes. I never could have figured it out without drawing pictures, though.

• chispa
    hace 4 años

The wainscoting should be the color of your trim or you are going to have some weird transitions.

I have BM simply white on all my trim, doors, crown and ceilings. It is a cleaner crisper look than the yellowy/creamy trim that was there when we bought the house.

• houssaon
    hace 4 años

I like the knobs and pulls in Barbara 's kitchen.

When I did my kitchen the designer suggested putting the drawer hardward at the top. I'm glad I did. Less bending and that is the thickest part of the drawer front. I think it looks good that way. But it is a personal choice.

Kitchen Portfolio · Más información

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Kellyrl, yes, I totally needed to do the drawing! I have tons of elevation pics from the cabinet maker, so that makes it easy. I am not an artistic person, but it’s the only way I can visualize.
    I do love Barbara’s pulls, I ordered something similar from top Knobs today in black and brushed nickel. Fingers crossed that it helps me make a decision.

• Usuario de Houzz-837606432
    hace 4 años

I think cabinet hardware should match other kitchen finishes like faucets, door handles, hinges, pendant lights (if used)—my kitchen has brushed nickel finishes, so I went with brushed nickel cabinet hardware. My daughter‘s kitchen has black hardware & black cabinet pulls, pictured here. I think consistency in the kitchen finishes matters more than matching a dining set, which you may change some day. Pulls or knobs is a personal choice, but big/tall cabinets with small knobs may look odd.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 4 años

Stop trying to "tie it all together". Every single thing in a room need not "match" or even "go together". In fact, rooms that just evolve over time and don't, are often the most pleasing to the eye.

I much prefer pulls for ALL cabinets/drawers/doors as they are simply far easier to open if one has wet/messy hands. They are far less likely to get lots of grime around them from small children's nasty little fingers.

Color? Order a couple of samples of what you are attracted to, and wait until everything is installed and they see which looks best.

Yes, leave the wainscoting.

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Anglo, it’s one of my biggest struggles. I understand that everything doesn’t need to match, but I want the space to feel like it flows, not like we just threw two separate spaces together without connecting the design.
    I also struggle with the visual business of all pulls, I feel like Knobs break things up a bit...the all pull pic just feels way more visually cluttered to me than the one with Knobs and pulls.

• maryladybug3
    hace 4 años

I used a brushed nickel finish pulls on my white cabinets. (I used knobs too in certain spots too). I had black Windsor chairs and this looked amazing. Sometimes the light hits it in a way that makes them darker. Do not use black pulls and knobs. Way too much contrast. In years to come you will be happier. AND DEFINITELY keep the wainscoting. It's a classic look. Good luck.

• girl_wonder
    hace 4 años

I like dark hardware on white cabs, but it's your kitchen. One reason the top pic is busier is because it's a different layout with a lot more cabinets. If you're really into this, you could do a mockup. i.e. photocopy your planned cab layout and draw on the knobs vs. pulls.

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Mary, I love your hardware, I ordered something very similar from top Knobs in satin nickel and black today.

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Girlwonder, I think that’s the next step!

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I happened to be across from a Home Depot today so I went in and grabbed some cheap pulls in flat black and satin nickel to get an idea of what I like. I like the shape of the satin nickel pull the best, and ordered something similar from top Knobs.

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I happened to be across from a Home Depot today so I went in and grabbed some cheap pulls in flat black and satin nickel to get an idea of what I like. I like the shape of the satin nickel pull the best, and ordered something similar from top Knobs.

• PRO
    Mid Island Cabinets
    hace 4 años

Glad to see that you ended up finding something you like and that is functional for your space. They look really nice and like others have said, hardware is an easy change if you tire of them.

• Lenny Davis
    hace 4 años

The granite is beautiful but powerful. I would want knobs or pulls that contrast the least and don't stop the eyes since there's going to be so much focus visually on the granite. Stainless knobs would be my vote. The table and chairs look fantastic and don't need to tie in with knobs. Everything is going to be beautiful. I also would keep the wainscoting

• Momofthree Ma
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks Lenny, I think that’s where we are leaning right now. By picking a granite like this, we can’t really do anything else too wild, and we also think that it’s beautiful and really want to let it shine. I think the more we look at this stuff, we feel like the satin nickel is probably the right choice.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.