Houzz Logo Print
barbara_evans8877

Need ideas for inexpensive window coverings.

Barb Ev
hace 10 años
I would like the insulating and light-filtering benefits of honeycomb blinds but I find they are too expensive to justify for this small home office space. In fact, I find that most of the discount blind places are incredibly pricey. Does anyone have any ideas for alternatives? I am even having difficulty finding attractive bamboo blinds. Though they are not the ideal solution for me, I would be willing to try if cheap and beautiful enough. All ideas gratefully received. And I can sew if necessary.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Comentarios (25)

• lefty47
    hace 10 años
    HI -- The big box hardware stores have cheaper PVC blinds . Find some fabric that you like and make some roman shades . Or make drape panels and use the clip rings and a rod or have grommet tops. Check discount fabric stores and also see what unclaimed window coverings they have at the drapery shops .
    Barb Ev agradeció a lefty47
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    hace 10 años
    What is too expensive? Do you have a budget to work with??
    Barb Ev agradeció a Fenstermann LLC
  • PRO
    Matilda Bos Design Studio
    hace 10 años
    Hi Barbara...You might look at Matchstick blinds, mount them as close to the ceiling as possible, so the roll is just below the window trim, it will make the windows appear taller. They are nice when down as well, not as heavy as bamboo. The other option Ikea has or did have solar shades, which give UV protection and allows you to see the
    view, much like looking thru a screen door..
    Barb Ev agradeció a Matilda Bos Design Studio
  • elcieg
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    $39.00 a piece and insulated to boot!
    Traditional Window Treatments · Más información

These shades come in two different trims, one of which is sage. You could do that and paint the walls the coordinating sage green. Pretty with all your windows looking out.
    Benjamin Moore® Ben® Paint, Saybrook Sage HC-114 · Más información
    Barb Ev agradeció a elcieg
  • Barb Ev
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Hi Fenstermann,
    The quote I've been given have been $800 to $1000 dollars, that is for 1/2 inch honeycomb, top-down bottom-up and cordless versions.
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    hace 10 años
    I could do 3 47"w x 36"h top-down/bottom-up shades cordless for $670 plus tax if applicable. Another option would be standard roller shades for about $400
  • handymam
    hace 10 años
    Barbara Evans, are the quotes from shade places or what? That seems like a lot. Have you looked at Lowes or home Dep?

If you can sew, why not make roman shades?
    Barb Ev agradeció a handymam
  • Barb Ev
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The trouble is the windows are irregular sizes and I don't think the big boxes cut to size unless they are venetian or custom, do they? Roman shades are great, but I have a 15 month old child roaming the house and I don't want any dangling cords, unless there are cordless options.
  • Barb Ev
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I should add that the measurements of the windows are: 1) 74 1/4 inch wide x 44 1/2 inch high; 2) 74 inches wide x 44 3/4 inches high; and 3) 47 3/4 wide x 44 inches high .
  • Fran Bengel
    hace 10 años
    Try Blinds.com I got 16 custom cut faux wood 2"blinds for less than $625
    Barb Ev agradeció a Fran Bengel
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    hace 10 años
    If you got those 6 shades for $800-1000, you should take it. That's a great deal
    Barb Ev agradeció a Fenstermann LLC
  • roxxrn
    hace 10 años
    Did you try selectblinds.com ?
    Barb Ev agradeció a roxxrn
  • anne dee
    hace 10 años
    Barb Ev agradeció a anne dee
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    hace 10 años
    Sheers would be a great solution there inexpensive and look amazing. They are also machine washable.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/sheer-drapery.html
  • beverlynn
    hace 10 años
    Check JCPenney for panels. They have great sales. In my office I have panels. They are lined. If they are on sale, you can get six panels with grommets for about $150. Honeycomb shades are expensive. I bought mine from Budget Blinds for my bedroom and the guest bedroom $560 for two windows 63W X 48L.
    Barb Ev agradeció a beverlynn
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    hace 10 años
    Check this out....i didn't look carefully but they may have something for you at a decent price. You have some very large windows to cover.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=blinds

or, check out their curtain wires. That might be a solution for you.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=curtain+wires
    Barb Ev agradeció a Marilyn Wilkie
  • PRO
    Linda
    hace 10 años
    Electrical conduit makes sturdy and cheap curtain rods ($1.80 for a 10 foot stick)

I have a sunroom which is currently undressed because I haven't invested the time and effort into finding the cheap, insulating window coverings which I could also open and close easily and wouldn't get tangled in the french doors. I have 14 panels to cover...24 wide by 84 tall--three double sets, then double french doors at each end with sidelights. That's 140 panes of glass with 140 more in the storm windows.

Sometimes it is easier - and cheaper - to leave them uncovered! I recommend window frosting paint
    Barb Ev agradeció a Linda
  • Adrianne
    hace 10 años
    Table cloth with lineal lace lines.. weave two threads lineal.. and cinch so it "clouds" up.
    Kinda like this:
    Architecture and Interior Design · Más información

or vintage table cloth!!
    summer lounge · Más información
    Barb Ev agradeció a Adrianne
  • Linda keys
    hace 10 años
    I have seen beautiful curtins made from burlap landscaping fabric. Hardly any sewing, if any, at about $5.00 a panel, look's great to add a sheer panel. Lots of nice ideas here.
    Barb Ev agradeció a Linda keys
  • Barb Ev agradeció a Marilyn Wilkie
  • losthorizonlisa
    hace 10 años
    Don't forget drapes made from painter drop clothes, ring clips on rod. Heavy and super inexpensive. Dress up with a vertical or horizontal strip of colored fabric or wide ribbon stitch witched on (ironed) or glued.
  • Keitha
    hace 10 años
    Have you considered using a roller shade kit that fuses your fabric onto the shade for a custom look. You can also reverse roll the shade if you don't want the roller to show.
  • Keitha
    hace 10 años
    Another option would be a shade like this. It could easily be pulled up during the day and let down at night if privacy is needed. It would be a snap to make !
  • PRO
    Patricia Buck Studios
    hace 8 años

I bought great readymade honeycomb blinds (their brand) from Home Depot. Love them! I've put them 48"x72" across 4-4'x8' sliders. They come in various widths and lengths and can be cut to order. Inexpensive as shades go.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.