max_sheppard

White or dark brown kitchen Island

Max Sheppard
hace 5 años

Hello Houzz Community!

My wife and I are in the process of renovating our cottage and cannot agree on the color for our kitchen Island. It's going to be a rather large/extended kitchen with the main wall cabinets in white. One of us prefers a white island while the other prefers to go with a dark rub stain. Since we cannot agree we're hoping to get enough feedback from others to help make a decision.

I've included 3D renderings of the kitchen layout and island color options below. (NOTE: ignore the black outline in two of the brown island pics. This is a glitch in the software.)

To help you better understand the space here is some more information:

• The entire home will be painted in white (Chantilly lace or oxford white - your vote on these two colors would also be great :), including the baseboards and trim work.
  • We decided on white to help frame the view of the water that can be seen from all rooms, including the kitchen, from large windows.
  • Beside the kitchen, parallel to the island will be the dining table which will likely be a wooden table (teak or darker wood color)
  • Beside the dining room, across a hallway is the great room with large windows looking out to the lake which could be seen from the kitchen. We haven't decided on the furniture, but it would likely be a grey and wood tones.
  • We'll be including greenery, colorful artwork and other accent pieces to help balance the white.
  • The flooring will be similar to the one shown in the attached 3D images.

This is a cottage and want it to be warm and inviting, however, we also want it bright and modern(ish).

Any feedback on the color of the island, white paint color or other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Max

White Kitchen Island
Dark Kitchen Island

Comentarios (31)

• rantontoo
    hace 5 años

I like the white and dark wood island; it is what I did so I am biased. That combo gives more “warmth,” but all white is nice too.

Max Sheppard agradeció a rantontoo
  • Susie .
    hace 5 años
    You’re going to have a lot of white. I like the idea of a dark island, especially if it’s stained wood to warm it up.
    Max Sheppard agradeció a Susie .
  • PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    hace 5 años

Yes you need to have a darker island as there is to much white in the room. You need contrast. Use the same counter top as shown. The last 2 pics might be to busy with the dark lines in your cabinetry. Looks better all white facing with the dark island.

Ken

Max Sheppard agradeció a Mountain MT Homes LLC
  • cpartist
    hace 5 años

Um the kitchen as designed is not very functional. You have all your appliances in the corner and a long stretch of counter which will wind up being a junk collector. The island doesn't seem to relate to the cooking area at all.

Max Sheppard agradeció a cpartist
  • Max Sheppard
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

cpartist - because of the windows across the back wall we had limited options. Plus, because this is a cottage, the island will be used more for a gathering spot instead of for food preparation.

• Max Sheppard
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

we would be open to any suggestions you have that will improve the functionality.

• CLC
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I prefer the White Island, but I like a lot of white. I don’t think it is too much white (after adding furniture, art and accessories). The dark stain island just feels very heavy and out of place to me. But obviously I am in the minority. :-)

As for the Oxford white vs chantilily lace dilemma, both might be too stark/cool/bright for my taste, especially with it everywhere. I don’t have the best experience with oxford white....l helped my friend paint her trim in Oxford and we ultimately changed it because it was so cool it almost looked blue. She has a lot of northern exposure, though. So much depends on the lighting! Have you looked at both colors in the space? I would try some different whites and look at them at different times of the day before committing, being the color will be used so extensively. You also may want to consider a slightly softer white such as white dove, or simply white if you haven’t already....both will look clean and modern and bright, but will be a touch softer (not as stark or cool).

Max Sheppard agradeció a CLC
  • gustaruygers
    hace 5 años
    I would consider a color closer to the stain of the wood shelving.
    Max Sheppard agradeció a gustaruygers
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 5 años

I think island color depends on who is sitting there and how it is being used. I suggested that my daughter paint the stool side of her island a charcoal black as she had two little boys who would be eating there/coloring there/doing homework there, and being boys, would be constantly kicking the back of the island. If it had been the same light color as her cabinets, it would have been a scuffed up mess. If they're scuffed, no one sees the scuffs.

Max Sheppard agradeció a Anglophilia
  • daisiesandbutterflies
    hace 5 años

I like both, but if I were going to stain the island, I would choose a different dark. The dark you have chosen is too dark, imo. I woukd consider a medium brown, or a color.

Max Sheppard agradeció a daisiesandbutterflies
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    Examples
  • Max Sheppard
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Flo Mangan - we considered colors similar to what you're suggesting along with many others but kept coming back to these two colors. I think we're afraid of selecting bold colors in fear of regretting our decision - it's a big project for us, so we're leaning towards safer colors. However, I think a blue island, similar to the sample you posted, would look nice!

• Max Sheppard
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

CLC - Before embarking on this project, I never imagined there could be so many different shades of white! We've looked at too many whites under many different lighting and kept coming back to these two whites - we're also considering designer white. I think the white will look nice in the warmer months but fear it will feel too cold during the fall and winter.

• PRO
    HomeDecorAZ
    hace 5 años

The darker island (as long as it complements the other wood elements) will be a great focal point and definitely gets our vote for a warm and inviting modernish cottage. :)

Max Sheppard agradeció a HomeDecorAZ
  • PRO
    None
    hace 5 años
    Stained for less maintenance
    Max Sheppard agradeció a None
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años

If you stain the island, keep it light such as the shelfs in the one photo you shared. As to "whites" I had to laugh. Yes, there are 1,000+ whites and tinted whites. The warmer look many like in this family of colors, is SW 7008 Alabaster. It has an LRV of 82, so on the scale of whitest (cool) that works for your space. It has a Hue Angle of 100 so it falls in the Yellow Hue family (as most whites do) put on the cool segment of the Color Strategist Color Wheel but to get a "warmer" tone you move toward more "yellow" looks and I don't recommend that. It has a Chroma of .66 so there is a very small amount of color, but enough to take the edge off super white. Super whites will appear "blue" to the perception of the color. If you haven't tried that SW Alabaster, I would recommend it. With your light, I think it might be a winner!

Max Sheppard agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Cadaxx Design
    hace 5 años

I think the brown is better, it will make the space feel warmer. The while island makes the kitchen look too white.

Max Sheppard agradeció a Cadaxx Design
  • midcenturymodernlove
    hace 5 años

I dislike the dark island.

Max Sheppard agradeció a midcenturymodernlove
  • jay06
    hace 5 años

I agree with Flo. Paint it a "cottagey" color. Although the dark stain looks nice (as does leaving it white), I think staining it another tone of wood would take attention away from the beautiful wood floor. A cottage is a place you can experiment a bit with more colorful décor and a painted island can be changed at whim. And with all the white and wood you're going to have in the cottage, color on the island would be beautiful! Personally, I'd love to see a distressed/antiqued bluish/greyish/greenish color. :-)

Max Sheppard agradeció a jay06
  • junco East Georgia zone 8a
    hace 5 años

I agree with cpartist--you have a very long stretch of counter to the left. What are you planning to use it for? And, you need to use more drawers. Since you don't have upper cabinets, drawers will give you better storage for dishes and even staples and canned goods.

Max Sheppard agradeció a junco East Georgia zone 8a
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    Here are two possible colors. Wedgewood Gray is more light reflective than Buxton Blue. Both are in the Blue/Green Hue Family. Both are watery colors with enough chroma to create interest.
    Max Sheppard agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • ccwatters
    hace 5 años

We have a cottage in MI on west side of state/Lake Michigan. We also did a white kitchen with wood floors, white cabinets and a white island, added color by way of counter stools, kitchen table chairs, pillows etc:

Although it's not quite as open as your layout, it's a similar cottage feel. I absolutely love it in the summer, but in the winter it DOES have a colder feeling from all the white and windows...and I have a smaller space and Revere Pewter on the walls. So with all the white you are planning on the walls, I would definitely vote for the wood island and I like it in the warm dark tone you've chosen...you will appreciate that in the cooler months! Also, you can add some of the cottage colors by way of counter stools or kitchen chairs or other accessories. You can also add rugs, pillows, blankets, candles and even window treatments to warm up the space in the winter :)

I understand the one comment about functionality not being ideal in your kitchen, but given the abundance of beautiful windows you have, you are limited to putting your appliances down at the end the way you have it...unless you close up/wall up one of the windows (which would be sad). And in reality, with all the appliances being close together, it will function great.

Max Sheppard agradeció a ccwatters
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 5 años
    A look with soft but interesting color for island.
  • Max Sheppard
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Flo Mangan - this color does work well with a white cottage kitchen. I guess we now have a third color to consider :) Thx!

• User
    hace 5 años

I voted white but I prefer these "cottage" colors. In the blue/green shades/tones.

Max Sheppard agradeció a User
  • Olychick
    hace 5 años

What will you do for stools? I think the white could show off some fabulous stools, which could add a lot of personality/style (and maybe color). I don't think light colored stools would look good against the dark and dark stools will be lost against that dark island. And frankly, as dark as you're showing, it kind of reminds me of a pool table stuck there. I think you'd be much happier (or I would, lol) with the lighter color.

If you end up going dark, please don't darken/shade the cabinets as shown.

• Hansen
    hace 5 años
    I would go for a nautical darker blue. Your home is stunning.
    Max Sheppard agradeció a Hansen
  • sm m
    hace 5 años
    I vote Chantilly Lace and either white or stain for the island. I don’t think you can go wrong with either
  • patisse
    hace 5 años

I vote dark and add a black/white, or navy/white rug or placemats for some texture. I also think the layout will work fine. You can use the rest of the counter for a beverage station to keep guests at that end and away from the cook. I would add a second trash/recycling area at that end as well. Looks wonderful!

• Sunny
    hace 5 años

I'm usually all about the white, but in this case, I would go with a teak island and a teak table. The brown in your photos is too dark.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.