petite_syrah

Tiny kitchen! Please help! Where do I put a table??!!

petite_syrah
hace 10 años
I'm not too sure where I would put a kitchen table! :( There isn't much room. I was thinking a kitchen island we could eat at? What do you all think? I'm new to this whole decorating thing!! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, Would it look better if I matched the wood or can it be a different color?? Also, our living room furniture is dark..... dark leather couches. Thanks in advance!

Comentarios (22)

• petite_syrah
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    anyone?
  • PRO
    Living Spaces Design
    hace 10 años
    One option would be to add a peninsula cabinet in an L- shape which would divide the kitchen and the living room. On this peninsula you could have a bar height counter which could serve as your eat in area
    petite_syrah agradeció a Living Spaces Design
  • Adrianne
    hace 10 años
    It's too bad your kitchen flooring doesn't go out further.
    How many people will be sitting down at the table?
    petite_syrah agradeció a Adrianne
  • petite_syrah
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    just my fiance and i :)
  • Rosemary Davis
    hace 10 años
    You could add a wall mounted fold out table on the kitchen side of the laundry closet. It could be folded up against the wall when not in use .
    petite_syrah agradeció a Rosemary Davis
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    This looks like the "Country Kitchen" concept. A table floating inside the Kitchen would work great. Hard to tell from the photos but looks odd the way the flooring is chopped up? If you float the table you will need the Kitchen flooring to extend into the Living Room area.
    petite_syrah agradeció a Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
  • petite_syrah
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    i know...i hate how the flooring is chopped up. We are limited to what we can do since this is a rental...can't really "add" anything or drill too much lol
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Yes the flooring is giving me heartburn too! I think a small table can still work if its just for two people. Maybe a bistro look? You said this is a rental, are there other neighbors living in the same model? You can visit and see how they made the space work?
    petite_syrah agradeció a Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
  • petite_syrah
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I actually have a coworker that just moved out of the same model. Was going to ask her what she did! I definitely don't want to cut into our living room space just for a table for two!

Another idea I was thinking is a large serving ottoman in the middle of the living room. Not too sure about that though?

I'm just kind of stuck on what to do. We move in on August 5th and I'm stumped!
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    Agree with sharpkl about the sofa position and would back a drop leaf table up to it, so you'd have optional table space if you entertain, yet all would fold away when not needed. Then when you move, you'll already have a real dining table.
    Minneapolis Tudor Residence · Más información
    petite_syrah agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • petite_syrah
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    oh yes that is a great idea!!! thank you so much!
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    hace 10 años
    Hi, I think if you were to put a trestle based table along the dividing line between the LR and Kit. it would act as a room divider. Country style trestle tables can be found in dimensions that will work for you. Something like a 72" long x 35" deep table would do the job. You can use benches or a combo of bench and chairs to keep it all from getting too bulky and allow the view through both spaces. A potential bonus is that the table becomes multipurpose. It can be a place to plug a lap top and work and can be a Kitchen work surface when you need more counter top. It could also be used as a buffet table if you have a crowd over.
    In your Living Room I'd consider floating an apartment sized sofa/loveseat in front of the double window. then use two chairs facing the LS. Another trick to keep things looking open and spacious is to use a pair of small stools side by side as a coffee table. They can also seat two more when you need it.
    petite_syrah agradeció a Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
  • petite_syrah
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks so much Jeffrey!
  • Kathy
    hace 10 años
    http://houzz.com/photos/345071
    Here is a variation with the table turned and the end backing up to sofa. It would depend on your room size.
    petite_syrah agradeció a Kathy
  • Kathy
    hace 10 años
    http://houzz.com/photos/3782883
    This set might work even if you had to store two of the chairs.
  • petite_syrah
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I wish we had more room! It just doesn't seem like there will be too much space :( I've been online all afternoon looking and haven't been able to find anything that would fit AND match the decor of the apartment. I'm basically working with a blank slate which makes it nice. All we have are our brown leather couches.
  • Elaine P
    hace 10 años
    A small table for two, put up against the wall where the wash\dryer is. If you live near IKEA they have a lot of small dining options.
    petite_syrah agradeció a Elaine P
  • Kathy
    hace 10 años
    http://houzz.com/photos/252137
    This could be folded up except when you need to use it.
    It looks like you have an extra wall in your apt that isn't on the floor plan. It's the one with the opening in it. Is that right?
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    hace 10 años
    By looking for solutions that fit the space and serve multiple uses, you're going to learn a lot. Fitting the things that appeal to you into these rooms and doing it within a sensible budget will require you to use good judgement and some design chops.
    I'd say this will be a great adventure for you. Shop at stores that offer good value. Check out some yard sales and look at online sellers too.
    Another quick suggestion; select a color scheme that is dominated by natural colors and keep it light. One striking vivid color throughout the entire house will make it all look bigger. Don't be stingy with portable lighting. Floor lamps, table lamps, pendants and wall lighting go a very long way toward visually filling a room and adding drama.
    petite_syrah agradeció a Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 10 años
    table and chairs on a large rug maybe ?! good luck with the move ! :-)
    petite_syrah agradeció a OnePlan
  • petite_syrah
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We won't be in the apartment for another 3 weeks so I will be able to take more pictures to post. I'm leaning toward putting a double leaf table against the sofa.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.