Houzz Logo Print
carthur28tt

Love the concrete

carthur28tt
hace 5 años
I line in Trinidad West Indies. Most homes are built out of clay blocks with cement plastered on then painted.
Are these concrete slabs?
Would the inside not feel cold?
Double Concrete House · Más información

Comentarios (5)

• PRO
    Inter Urban Studios Ltd
    hace 5 años

Hello, the concrete walls and roof are poured in place (in situ). The house uses a combination of concrete, timber, and fabric to prevent the concrete from feeling too cold. [Here's the recent full write-up with a good selection of pictures.[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/room-tour-a-modern-extension-shows-off-the-magic-of-raw-concrete-stsetivw-vs~115967116) Hope that helps!

• carthur28tt
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Thanks for answering. I have become intrigued with the use glass in ceilings. I would love to do that to my house but I'm afraid of leakage. It would be fantastic to have in the corridor in my house with a glass roof.

How thick is the glass on the basement extension roof. It looks like you laid it flat in the picture so how do you get the water to drain off that glass surface, also does it keep out the heat of the sun during your summer months and the cold during your winter months?

• PRO
    Inter Urban Studios Ltd
    hace 5 años

Hello. There are two layers of glass, and it is laminated to prevent breakage and allows one to walk on it without falling in. It is also double glazed with an air gap which provides excellent insulation. The rooflight itself sits on a sealed perimeter upstand that prevents water ingress. It is not 100% flat, it's laid to a slight fall so water does not sit on top. However, in Trinidad, I would be concerned with having overly large roof lights as even with double glazing, heat gain could be a real issue. If I were designing roof lights for the Caribbean climate, I would start by angling them away from the sun so they face North and also have them sit higher above the roof so that direct sun would mostly hit the sides of the upstand rather than having strong sunlight hit the living spaces. Something like this photo of a building by Le Corbusier.

Hope this helps!

Micah

• carthur28tt
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you so much. You've given me much to think about.

• PRO
    Inter Urban Studios Ltd
    hace 5 años

My pleasure. Do feel free to reach out if you'd like us to design something in Trinidad...

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.