Houzz Logo Print
regachang

custom range hood vs under cabinet range good

Rega
hace 5 años
Hi in need of advice!
I’m doing a complete Reno of my house and due to HVAC routing I have two options for range hoods a) get a range hood insert and build a custom cover for it b)get a under cabinet hood and build a cabinet above it. While I love the look of option A, I’m worried one day when the range good needs replacing I will have a very hard time finding a replacement that will fit exactly in the custom
Cover. Anyone ever go through this or have advice?? Pictures attached are examples of the two possibilities.

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    R.D. London Studios
    hace 5 años

your kitchen has clean lines and to maintain this look I would recommend under the cabinet hood. Best wishes!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

I assume that is not your kitchen only showing the 2 choices. I don’t usually like hood covers but that first one is quite nice. I would need to see your kitchen or at least get some idea of your style and layout. I find hood covers work best in high endkitchens and they do get grubby faster than your cabinets.

• M Miller
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

You didn’t say the size hood. IMO, a custom cabinetry hood only looks good when it’s at least 36” wide. Otherwise, its proportions look squished and heavy.

Contractors and cabinet sellers will almost always advise a cabinet surround, regardless of your kitchen size and design, since it adds to the cost of the kitchen, both labor and materials, and to their bottom line.

The problem with the 2 photos you posted as ”The two possibilities” is that one is sleek and modern, and the other is more mundane. Makes it seem like a stainless hood must be hohum compared to a cabinetry surround hood, and that’s all there is. There are many sleek stainless hood designs. They usually offer an optional duct cover that can be quite seamless, as an alternative to having the hood hang from the cabinetry. Easier to wipe down too.

• PRO
    Paradise City
    hace 5 años

If u do not use it , do not install it ) Most people never turn them on , They all sound loud and unpleasant )). Waist of space

• M Miller
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

“Most people never turn them on , They all sound loud and unpleasant )). Waist of space”

@Paradise City https://www.houzz.com/user/skdmitriy - wow, are you dated. We havent seen that kind of statement in years. Indoor air quality has had increasing importance and emphasis over at least the last 10 years. As a ”Pro”, you should be aware of that. And, if you don’t buy a cheap builder-grade hood, and if you have a contractor who is knowledgeable, and understands about correctly-sizing ductwork and cfms to the type of cooking appliance and cooking that will be done, exhaust efficiency will be maximized and noise will be minimized. Of course a hood will have some noise. But it serves to remove the cooking smoke and grease from the air. Without it, surfaces in the kitchen and surrounding areas will have a fine coating of grease.

@Paradise City - am I to assume you are against smoke alarms too? How will your smoke alarm not go off without a hood if you are making anything that generates smoke and heat?

• Helen
    hace 5 años

I just finished remodeling using an insert and custom hood cover.

In my experience, the interior size is fairly standard and could be retrofitted. The issue I had is that I couldn't use a top venting type of insert and so I was limited to just a few models that inserted through the rear.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

Paradise you have no idea what most people do IMO.

• User
    hace 5 años

Contractors are not kitchen designers, and are obviously not educated about many many things that go into kitchen design. Contractors should not ever give such terribly ignorant advice as to ignore or not use ventilation. They should educate themselves properly, or partner with a good KD who can fill in for the knowledge that they lack.

Indoor air quality is of vital importance. Elimnating the cooking byproducts is essential to that quality. Not to mention keeping your home clean and odor free.

• acm
    hace 5 años

I don't think I'd design around the possibility of a hood breaking down. THat's not something you ever hear people talking about -- it just doesn't get the wear and tear of other appliances and is likely to last until some future owner rips out your whole kitchen...

• PRO
    Motto Interior Design
    hace 5 años

I would recommend the custom hood. Shouldn't be a problem and looks the best!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.