Houzz Logo Print
shammi_kosanam26

Family Room Furniture Layout dilemma

Shammi Kosanam
hace 5 años

Hello,

We moved from town home to Single family house few months back. The family room size is 20X13, sunk in model. We have a beautiful window and a fireplace with windows on either side. this floor plan has given us headache to decide the furniture layout. My husband set up the TV over fireplace because i didn't want to block the beautiful window. Please need help with the furniture style, TV location and setup so that this room feels homey and comfortable for us and guests as its the most used room of the house. we are willing to buy new furniture to suit the current layout. We don't like the color of the wall and windows need blinds. Not able to decide if they need curtains. i like room to be bright and husband can live in a cave with no problems, so we are always with opposite ideas. someone please help as our kids still complain that they like the old house better.

Thank you for help,

Pushpa

Comentarios (5)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 5 años

I would move furniture closer to FP, center on left wall.

• armchairshopper
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

It’s a pretty house. The sunken area is very nice as it gives you higher ceilings in the living area. Let’s consider your options for locating the TV.

1) Left wall: if the TV is on this wall, you will be picking up reflections of light on the screen, hurting the image quality. Also, you would have to put your sofa on the opposite wall, partially blocking the window.

2) Right wall: putting the TV on this wall would block the window.

3) Putting the TV above the fireplace has become somewhat of a modern tradition. It looks fine, and it makes it easier to look in from the adjacent room and see what the family is doing.

Take pictures of all four walls. Draw out your floor plan on graph paper. Then go furniture shopping at several different stores. Some places, like Macy’s will give you a sheet of paper with pictures of the furniture and the measurements. After you have found several good alternatives for furniture that you like, go home and draw up the different alternatives on graph paper. That way you can make sure that you have adequate space to walk through the room, and see how everything fits. After you know the color of your furniture, then you can paint the room to go with the new furniture before you have it delivered. Take it one layer at a time in order: pick furniture, paint wall, decide if you want to change out carpet, deliver furniture, buy and install blinds, buy lamps, buy artwork, and if the walls are still too plain, buy curtains.

• Shammi Kosanam
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you for such a detailed breakdown of ideas. We too thought that the TV over the fireplace was the best option. Do you have ideas of what kind of seating options suit the layout? seems like sectional doesn't work. Don't want to block the flow from kitchen to family room with a sofa facing fireplace but at same time sofa to the wall is not comfortable to watch TV. kind of lost here.

• armchairshopper
    hace 5 años

Small scale furniture would be best (not too deep/thick) with narrow arms. I would put a sofa on the left wall, and 2 recliners (stressless or similar) facing the TV. I would have 2 end tables with lamps on each side of the sofa. I would pick white translucent lampshades so the lamps transmit the most light. If you need more seating for company, bring in chairs from the adjacent (presumed) dining area.

• PRO
    Angela Todd Studios | Portland, OR
    hace 5 años

It looks like you currently have the best option for the TV, unless you want to get darker curtains and close them when you are watching it. Then you could mount it on the left wall across from the windows. Below we've included a few designs of ours with furniture layouts as well that might help. Note if you keep your sectional on the current wall, center it on the wall with end tables on each side and art above it.

Hoyt Street Tudor: Living Room · Más información

Hoyt Street Media · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.