Houzz Logo Print
webuser_329966111

So torn Between kitchen colours! dark, light, both? help!

Sal89
hace 5 años
Which kitchen gives more of a wow factor?
white gloss units - darker grey worktop
all neutral/white
light work top - dark units

Comentarios (24)

• PRO
    AluSplash
    hace 5 años

Hello Sal, figuring our which colour combination to go for is often the hardest part!

We at AluSplash believe that to be in line with current trends, pairing dark cabinetry and mixed materials with a neutral backdrop will bring a feeling of warmth and comfort to your space.

• PRO
    User
    hace 5 años
    It all depends on the floor you have. First you have to consider the colour of the units with regards to the floor colour and then select the top that works on those units..If you would send us a photo of your space where you will install this new kitchen, it will be easier to give you an advice.
  • Sal89
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks for comments. I don’t have a picture of the space as it is an extension that will undergo work soon. However the one I have decided is the floor I want, I want shiny tiles like the second photo, colour wouldn’t be white but more like a beige/grey, a colour in between that shade. The space is a decent size approx 8mx5m. I do want it to be nice bright and big, we will have 3m bifold doors along the back facing the garden. What do you think will compliment this floor? In terms of colour without it looking too washed out? I did initially consider all white kitchen but I am now looking for alternatives.
  • Sal89
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    This is the floor I want. Haven’t shopped around yet but seems to be one thing I am set on.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 5 años
    We think this kitchen combination looks beautiful! Colour blocking..Especially if you have enough light coming through, don’t be afraid to go with dark colours. The floor colour you have chosen is the most grateful one ever. ;) You can combine it with dark grey, dark blue, green, anything really..
  • PRO
    User
    hace 5 años
    Some interesting colour combinations to go with your floor..
  • minnie101
    hace 5 años

Unless you have already personally I would do some research on glossy floor tiles for a kitchen as they can be slippery

http://ceramictilewarehouse.co.uk/news/title/matt-gloss-tiles

• Sal89
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    They are lovely thank you. And they are the tones i like. I know I would also like gold metal stools. I suppose it’s about being confident enough to have a few different colours in there, as even different coloured units rather than all one colour, and also the island. What would you all advise in terms of choosing colour, should I choose my units first or my work top? Didn’t realise even choosing a work top would be so difficult. Especially in terms of granite, quartz, laminate, max top etc.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 5 años
    Now that we see your floor can be matched to pretty much all colours and textures, you might wanna select the counter top first. It depends on the style you’d like to convey, but very trendy are wooden ones or dark grey quartz or white carrara marble. Going from more rustic to contemporary to more traditional style. The ones that will last you forever and are the easiest to maintain are the quartz ones, but they are quite expensive. We also like the colour combination on the photo below-would match nicely the gold metal bar stools and looks super stylish. White/brushed brass/dark blue/wood
  • PRO
    Opun
    hace 5 años

A dark cabinet paired with a light floor and worksurface will give you a winning colour scheme, hand painted cabinetry will also give you the option to change the kitchen for years to come as your tastes evolve. A light porcelain floor and cream/white granite/quartz worktop will be timeless, anthracite grey or navy blue cabinetry are very much on trend now and will look stunning against them. By going for a painted cabinet option rather than something gloss you open up the possibility to re-paint in 5-10-15 years time should you ever tire of it at a fraction of the cost of having doors replaced or a new kitchen installed.

Good luck with the project.

Opun, your home improvement experts.

• Sal89
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I love the gold stools but are those gold units I see?? Love them! Where are they from? I’m like a magpie, anything shiny! Yes that’s why I like the floor as will go with anything. I was thinking more gloss units and more of a contemporary look than traditional. Again work top I was thinking the white marble look but few people have said that will be hard to maintain.

In terms of the tiles being slippy, I did think of that but I just really like the look of the tiles.
  • Sal89
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I’m really drawn to these. The first picture is a wooden floor but I think it could still go? I love the colours of the bathroom and have thought of a similar colour for the kitchen. I love the stools of the third kitchen, although I really like the dark kitchen it is just something I haven’t considered/pictured as my own.
  • Daisy England
    hace 5 años
    Glossy floors show up marks.
  • PRO
    Ace Your Space
    hace 5 años

In trying to narrow down what really appeals here are some tips, think about whether you like lots of strong light & dark, if you have pale floor and cabinets, would you then want the worktop and/ or some cabinets (or an island) to be dark? Do you tend to prefer warmer colours, more beige & golds or cooler tones, more towards grey? What kind of finnishes do you like, more rustic and natural or really shiny? If everything is shiny the surfaces reflect each other so it can be a little confusing. In this case you definately need some contrast in colour to help separate the different elements. Finally, be honest with yourself about how much cleaning you are willing to do - shiny surfaces need lots of cleaning.

• Sal89
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    That’s really useful and some good points you have made. I hadn’t considered any dark colours but looking at pictures they look very nice. I am def more of a nude/gold in terms of colours. But again grey is also very nice. In terms of finish yes I do like everything more shiny but I may have to reconsider that. And cleaning no I don’t want to spend all hours cleaning! I thought gloss units would be easier to clean. From the comments I’m swaying towards a light floor and work top/back drop and darker units. I think the dark grey units look much nicer in a Matt finish than gloss.
  • PRO
    Ace Your Space
    hace 5 años

Aubergine is a fabulous dark but warm colour. If you go with dark units, you could just put the dark on the base units and have light on the wall units. That keeps the place feeling bright but also creates some depth and drama. If you go for grey, try and find a yellow toned grey, not a pinky brown, or a purple toned one -if you see what I mean.

• Sal89
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    That’s another thing I’m now thinking light wall units and dark ones at the bottom. Could you show me what you mean by a yellow tone grey? Or what about a dark mocha type colour?
  • PRO
    Ace Your Space
    hace 5 años

Look at this link from Dulux, https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-details/h_cool%20neutralYellow 

toned examples would be Warm Graphite, Pebble shore, misty mountain. Can you see that some look a little pink, some look yellow and others look a bit more towards turquoise? Others are just pure grey. Urban obsession is a pure grey. Dark mocha could be good too. Again, you need to be careful to get the right undertone, if you have yellow toned floor tiles, then a colour like roasted coffee is better than cocoa powder, which is a bit more pink toned. https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-details/h_warm%20neutral.

Farrow & ball and have a useful feature on their website. If you click onto a colour, you can click to see colour schemes. You can see this dark brown is being paired with some sandy tones.

• Sal89
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Yes I can absolutely see the different tones! Wow I really don’t have a clue, I think choosing paint will also be a very tricky one. Again the carpet in the house will be a beigy colour that will be a very similar tone to the tiles so it flows so something that compliments this. It’s a long way away yet but I need to be as organised as possible.
  • PRO
    AluSplash
    hace 5 años

After having seen the style and look you like, although we spoke about dark cabinets initially, with the floor you have chosen which would compliment any style, how about considering a natural wood like worktop? If you would like a light, and airy look and feel to the kitchen, neutral coloured cabinets would suit the look of your kitchen, paired with a slightly darker splashback to add that luxe feel back to the kitchen. This combination of a darker splashback, with wood and then lighter cabinets would also work well with your accent gold bar stools in the first image you showed. Keeping the foundation of your kitchen balanced and adding accessories such as gold bar stools and some decorative elements to give it that sparkle and glint that you like!

(featured here is our petrol blue splashback panel, however I feel our blueberry panel would also work really well with this combination)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 5 años
    This is why good graphics at the design stage can be such a help. As you can try out all of the options with your designer !
  • Sal89
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    So many great suggestions! We have a lot of wood in our current house as my dad loves it! It is beautiful but not something I want in my own house in terms of overall look.
  • Ronan Lang
    hace 5 años

Voted for third one as it looks different and very beautiful. Here are some more pictures might help you pick colours and kitchen refurbishment solutions.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.