Houzz Logo Print
katiekel44

Layout/design advice please

Katie Kelton
hace 5 años

[My husband and I just bought this split level home from the 1960s. We aren't sure what to do with the family/living room combo to make it more cozy/functional for a young family. As you can see, the current owner's decor is very dated! We would ideally like to incorporate a tv somewhere, but not over fireplac[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/what-to-do-with-this-room-dsvw-vd~5498888?lt=hl)e. Thanks in advance!

Comentarios (9)

• Katie Kelton
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you, Cheryl. I appreciate your detailed suggestions! Just to clarify, when you say "other seating facing windows", do you mean to the right of the couch (when looking towards the fireplace) facing the main window?

• della70
    hace 5 años

If I remember correctly, there should be a big room downstairs? Put the tv and the kiddos' stuff down there and keep the upstairs as a dining, entertaining area for adults.

Katie Kelton agradeció a della70
  • Katie Kelton
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Unfortunately we don't have a large room downstairs. That would be nice!

• PRO
    Shared Treasures
    hace 5 años

Here is a rough floor plan with a furniture scheme that might be able to help you. Not sure what the dimensions of the space is so this is a rough floor plan. I would do a sofa with a side table and a swivel chair facing the wall where the piano is and put the TV and console there.

Then I would put 2 Poufs on either side of the fireplace that can be pulled around the front when using the fireplace with the kids.

Where the table is currently I would put 2 chairs and maybe some ottomans depending on the space you have available. Also a round upholstered ottoman might be nice there too! I would use the fireplace and open walls for an assortment of art and some family photos.

Hope this helps!

Katie Kelton agradeció a Shared Treasures
  • thinkdesignlive
    hace 5 años
    Are you planning any modifications? New flooring? White carpet and young family are usually not in the same sentence. Considering opening up a wall? Plan all of that first even if you don’t execute right away. New window treatments would need to be first on my list.
    Katie Kelton agradeció a thinkdesignlive
  • thinkdesignlive
    hace 5 años
    I’m assuming you will need to keep a dining area? I think more info is needed for people to best advise.
  • Katie Kelton
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Yes to new floor and window treatments. We also plan on painting walls, trim and doing something to the fireplace (not sure what yet). Not planning on opening up a wall any time soon. Yes, the dining area has to stay as the kitchen is very small. Thank you :)

• Cheryl Smith
    hace 5 años
    For me I want what is the most comfortable seating to be directly looking at tv whether that is a sofa, chairs or recliner. "Other" seating is the less ideal viewing for the tv/fireplace with those same options. I also prefer to look outside instead of looking into a room at a wall. But in your case in front of the window may be the best option to open up the room and make feel larger. With a family a sectional in this case may work the best although it wouldn't be what I would normally recommend. Low swivel rockers work nice flanking a fireplace. There really is no better way of finding out if you like a room layout than moving the furniture and living with it for awhile. When I moved into my first house I changed the furniture arrangement weekly when I vacuumed. My favorite blocked the heat registers so I had it that way in the summer and changed to another in the winter. Look at a lot of houzz pictures for inspiration. You aren't the only one dealing with that layout.
    Katie Kelton agradeció a Cheryl Smith
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.