Houzz Logo Print
gabriel_lessem

Concrete Ceiling Beams - How to deal?

Gabriel Lessem
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

So we're in the midst of a complete apartment gutting and we realised that half of the living room/kitchen has concrete beams. We have decided to leave them as is and if upon completion we change our mind, we'll just plaster over them. Any ideas on what to do with them or how best to treat them? Perhaps they could be painted? The style I ultimately want is industrial/Scandinavian.

Comentarios (5)

• apple_pie_order
    hace 5 años

Paint or plaster over them with white. Your ideabook photos clearly show white everything.

• PRO
    Robert R. Larsen, Architect
    hace 5 años

You don't mention what design style you are trying to accomplish. In any event I'd recommend painting them in white or off-white in their current rough condition - this could be quite attractive. Then, as you suggest, if you are not happy with the rough appearance they could be plastered for a more clean and contemporary appearance. Meanwhile, you should consider how you are going to light this room - ie will you be able to install any light fixtures between the beams? Is the entire ceiling between the beams concrete as well? In which case how would you mount the light fixtures and how would you get power to them? If it's impossible to get light fixtures in the ceiling then you will need to rely on indirect lighting somehow.

• Gabriel Lessem
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hi - I'd like an industrial/Scandinavian type look. Good point re the lighting. I need to double check what's in between. We're very much at the beginning of the project. The whole building is being renovated - not just my apartment.

• PRO
    Robert R. Larsen, Architect
    hace 5 años

With industrial / Scandinavian look the painted beams would be appropriate. If the ceilings between the beams turn out to be concrete, you could drop drywall ceilings between the beams in those areas to conceal wiring for light fixtures. Surface fixtures would require dropping the ceiling just a few inches. Recessed LED fixtures might require 4" - 6" dropped ceilings between the beams. You'd then would need to figure out a way to get wiring to those locations - which would probably mean drilling horizontally through a beam or two somewhere if a structural engineer OK'd it. I like the exposed concrete beams in any case as they will give visual interest to the space, and also give a loftier feel. It would be unfortunate to conceal them with a suspended ceiling.

• Gabriel Lessem
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks so much for your answer. I will speak the builders and see what is possible.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.