Houzz Logo Print
dovechaser

NOT-white "modern" farmhouse. help me play with colors

Cyndy
hace 5 años

Anyone want to help play with colors on this house?? I don't photoshop and playing with the paint editor apps is driving me crazy. I am against white because we live in a high humidity warm area and white houses look green pretty quickly. :) The roof will likely be a charcoal color. We will be 4' off the ground, the porch/railings/stairs will be stained wood. I like dark windows, but am OK with white if they go with the color scheme better.

I was thinking a nice sandy color, or possibly light grey? My favorite house around the corner is a pale seafoam green with cream trim though. The only houses around me are dark blue and medium grey. Again- HOT climate, so lighter colors only.

Any takers?

Comentarios (33)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 5 años

What about something like this?

• Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Sina- Interesting color. Do you know the name? I have such a hard time picturing it on this house.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I can paint walls for you

• PRO
  • PRO
    design FX interiors
    hace 5 años

I suggest the window mullions and front door in a color like Benjamin Moore

HC-166, the siding in a light olive color CC-638, or for a softer look 2143-50. The window frames and railings in 2143-60

Sorry I don't know photoshop enough to do this for you but perhaps pick up the colors and see how you like the combo. I think it would look fabulous!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 5 años

• PRO
    hace 5 años

I agree with previous comments about dark windows trim. It would be great.

• PRO
    hace 5 años

Light tan exterior

• Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks y'all. Celerygirl- that is really helpful thanks! I like the grey the most, but would definitely go lighter.

design-FX - I LOVE that Sesame color. I hve a hard time picking greens, so was thinking tan would be easier. That is tan with olive undertones - pretty! We are going to do a hog panel railing and leave it natural or some sort of protecting stain...but no paint. but the house will be Hardi- so I do like the trim color you picked. Haven't 100% narrowed down my windows yet, but options are likely bronze or white. I would like to stay away from black.

• suezbell
    hace 5 años

Nice house. From all the colors suggested the light tan suggested by celerygirl best suits the style of your home.

Light tan exterior

[2 Likes[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/not-white-modern-farmhouse-help-me-play-with-colors-dsvw-vd~5389076) Save

• Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

suezzbell and cellerygirl - thank you for the mock-ups. So you would replace the white trim with dark? and dark window mullions? I

• Pajarito
    hace 5 años

Keep the white trim and mullions don't draw attention to them. Don't forget how the black mullions would look from the interior. Keep it light.

• Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you all. Seeing the tan with white/cream trim helps tremendously. Will it look strange to have cedar posts and possibly railings and stained treated wood for the stairs? I really want to keep the maintenance down, the thought of painting the porch railings and decking is not appealing. This is the railing type I am drawn to.

• Pajarito
    hace 5 años

Where are the railings and post? Isn't the front porch at ground level?

• houssaon
    hace 5 años

LOVE your house and think the fence would be fine.

• Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Pajarito - Our home is being built on pier and beam foundation, 4' above current ground level, per NFIP regs based on current flood plain maps. We purchased a stock plan and modified. The pic I posted is the plan photo. sorry for the confusion.

• Pajarito
    hace 5 años

I like the look of cable railings with the posts not painted. Not a fan of the grid pattern. Thanks for the clarification.

• Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

pajarito- we live on a few acres and have livestock. Cattle panels are pretty common on our place already :)

• Pajarito
    hace 5 años

It truly is a farmhouse!

• Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Pajarito - yes! We have dairy goats, chicken for meat and eggs, and 8 beehives. You can really get quite a bit out of a few acres in our part of the country. The property had about 12 fruit trees when we bought it - and of course we have added a few more, plus blackberries. Can't wait till we have a house on the property again. That's really all it is missing!

• lwfromny
    hace 5 años
    Very pretty house design! Be advised that whatever you pick will look quite a bit lighter on an exterior than it seems like it will from the sample. I recently painted my house BM Fieldstone, which is a gray with green undertones. Even though I painted a very large sample (a full poster board) I still was shocked at how light the color was once it was on the house. Here’s the color as it appears on a computer, vs on my house. I ended up liking it, but it’s not at all what I thought it would be. These pictures were taken in the shady part of the day - the house is WAY lighter looking when the sun is on it.
  • Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

lwfromNY - thank you, that is good advice. Your house is beautiful, but I agree, it looks so different from the sample!

• User
    hace 5 años

But it looks so beautiful in white!

There is mildew resistant paint...

• matracom
    hace 5 años
    Hello. What did you decide on for a color? My wife and I are kicking the tires with this plan for a build in NC and are in the early design phase. We are leaning towards a charcoal color but concerned about heat as well. Would love to learn more about your journey with this plan.
  • Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Matracom - We are starting the breaking ground Tuesday...GCing the house ourselves with much learning happening along the way. I am definitely not 100% decided on color, but love the tan and very light grey/greens are top of the list. Going with white trim and windows mullions. Cedar posts and stained deck boards/railings etc. House will have 6-7 steps up from the ground.

• Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

matracom- if you have purchased the plans...or maybe even not, Houseplans.com has additional photos of houses built from this plan.

• Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

I'm kind of in love with this color. Fieldstone as mentioned above. Maybe a shade lighter? and with a medium charcoal roof?

• Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Resurrecting this thread...We are almost framed and I need to finalize roof color. I am still not 100% decided on siding color though. Hoping to find shingles that go with the Fieldstone color, or maybe a similar grey. We are using GAF Timberline HD shingles - looking at pewter, charcoal or slate. We are in a hot climate, so I hesitate to go too dark, but we have pecan and sycamore leaves that fall on the roof, so also concerned about ugly staining. . Color choices

• PRO
    design FX interiors
    hace 5 años

Benjamin Moore AF-670 siding (it will look about the same level of depth as the fieldstone in the daylight) CC-518 for window and door trim as well as the door itself.

Weathered wood for the shingles.

Would look amazing with some white planters lots of colorful flowers and accents.

• ulisdone
    hace 5 años

Just remember any exterior stained wood will be high maintenance unless you don’t mind it turning gray.

• PRO
    design FX interiors
    hace 5 años

The "weathered wood" is a "color" in the GAF Timberline house shingles pallet. I have suggested this for the shingles not the siding.

• Cyndy
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

designfx - I know that is a crazy popular color around here. I would like to stay in the gray family for shingles. I ruled out slate, now trying to decide between pewter and charcoal.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.