Houzz Logo Print
eva_milonas

Laundry dilemma

Eva Milonas
hace 5 años
Looking for feedback as I can't decide on whether to have a European laundry in the garage or a laundry room inside the house?

Comentarios (10)

• oklouise
    hace 5 años

laundry in the house is so much more convenient but depends on available space and how you like to do your washing

• Sara Graham
    hace 5 años
    If it all possible have it inside the house, especially if there is more than one occupied bedroom. No one wants to be lugging all those sheets and towels and mountains of clothes to the garage.
    If resale is important to you and it’s a family sized home then you’ll put off buyers if the laundry is in the garage. For many people it’s a flat out NO. If it’s a smaller home/flat/townhouse then you might be able to get away with a euro laundry in the house or laundry facilities in the bathroom if well designed. I know our mothers and grandmothers were resigned to doing the laundry in a shed out the back near the outdoor dunny, but most Australians have embraced the indoor laundry and expect it to be inside the house.
    Eva Milonas agradeció a Sara Graham
  • me me
    hace 5 años
    Definitely inside. I have a laundry in the garage and hate it.
  • annb1997
    hace 5 años

Hi Eva. Can you shed a little more light on what specifically are your concerns about location of laundry? Are you renovating and size is limiting your choice? Do you currently have laundry outside the house or none at all?

• Eva Milonas
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Hi @annb1997, I am in the process of finalising drawings of a new development. At the moment due to council changes, the overall footprint of the house has reduced, thus I am now requiring to re-look at the configuration of rooms. The laundry seems like the best option to gain some of the lost space. However, I have always wanted a fully decked laundry - so now I am being challenged with what to do.

Architect has recommended a European type laundry in the garage - to save space internally, but it doesn't excite me.

I know I will need to compromise with the changes but can't make a final decision with the laundry. I am favoring going internal but this also means that the bathroom will be much smaller.

• annb1997
    hace 5 años

Thanks for that, Eva. It helps to know the bigger picture. The first thing that comes to my mind is to speak frankly with your architect about your concern and ask for another solution so you achieve a result that will give you the best outcome and suits how you want to live and work in your home. Of course, budget is always a consideration and how to economise where it makes sense to do so, but perhaps there might be other alternatives. I do understand designs cost and changes cost, but responding to your needs and providing you with a plan you can happily live with is what they do best.

• Jacqueline French
    hace 5 años
    Hi Eva,
    Could you compromise and have a European Laundry in the bathroom (especially if you have an ensuite aswell?) By combining these rooms at least it could feel like a bigger space and you won’t have to lug and do your washing in the cold dark garage....
  • oklouise
    hace 5 años

only way to offer a proper opinion is to see the proposed plans and available spaces

• PRO
    Baulch Services
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Willoughby · Más información

Combining your laundry and bathroom can be a great way to save space. Clever cabinetry design can also help manage this space so you don't become overwhelmed with washing. It is difficult to help specifically without designs so not sure how helpful this is however worth considering if the space allows.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.