Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_7302568

Need help deciding how to tile and how many open shelves to add

hace 11 años
My husband and I will soon be moving into a house with a lovely, small kitchen. We will be adding a range hood above the stove (replacing the chalkboard, which is the current owners), a white subway tile back splash, and some open shelving. We don't know, though, how high to put the white subway tile and how many open shelves to add. There's a jog between the stove area and the rest of the counter top due to a chimney. We're toying with (a) tiling up to the ceiling or (b) tiling up to where the range hood will start and relatively low elsewhere (to the bottom of the open shelving). The window is small so if there is more than one open shelf, it will be higher than the window. We'd appreciated any advice!

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    hace 11 años
    I know you didn't mention anything about seating just yet, but I wanted to let you know that we just added bar stools that are very similar to those in the photo to our Houzz page.

Keystone Collection French Provence Barstool · Más información
    User agradeció a User
  • hace 11 años
    Cute kitchen! I totally agree on your design choice of open shelves up top. Your kitchen was made for them! When we added open shelves, we started with the top shelf and figured out the highest we wanted that to be, drew a pencil line and saw what we had left for space and figured it out from there. I had planned on 3 shelves, but actually decided on only two based on this process. We did add a 3rd shelf just above a window, like yours above the sink, on another wall in the kitchen however. It is on the adjoining wall to the main 2 shelves and at a different height. Just thought I'd mention incase you haven't thought to add a shelf there.
    User agradeció a Caitlin
  • hace 11 años
    I would tile to the ceiling and get a roman shade blind in what ever color scheme you are going to do and hang it high so that the bottom of the shade rests on the top of the glass window not the top of the molding. With this it will look as if your window is bigger but isn't HGTV had something similar to this and that's what they did. :)
    User agradeció a Southern Belle
  • hace 11 años
    Oh and add the shelves to each side of the roman shade.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    The roman shade will definitely give the illusion of a taller window. However, another option is to have one long shelf running from wall to wall at the height of the end of the light pole (just above where the glass shade starts. Since it is a wide shelf you will need additional supports, which will give you the opportunity to use some awesome decorative brackets or corbels which can be hung at the width of the window. Then you can add a simple valance to bridge the space between the bottom of the shelf and the top of the window. As for the subway tile I would only put it to the bottom of the range hood and the bottom of the first shelves. Why have the added expense of tile all the way to the ceiling when it is going to be obscured by the items you have on the shelves?
    User agradeció a Sensibly Chic Designs for Life
  • hace 11 años
    Thanks so much everyone for the great ideas! We really appreciate it -- think it's sort of unbelievable that you took time out of your day to give us feedback.
  • hace 11 años
    Speaking for myself, it's pure enjoyment. I get tired of my own house problems and it's so much easier to spend someone elses money in my head! Lol. It's fun to get creative. Good luck with your project.
    User agradeció a Caitlin
  • hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I guess I was thinking she only wanted to tile the wall where the stove is. lol Yes, if you were asking about the whole wall from all counter tops to ceiling that would be a total waste.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.