edisto9

I need ideas for a kitchen update.

Carol
hace 5 años
I like to paint the cabinets to coordinate with the backsplash

Comentarios (48)

• tedbixby
    hace 5 años

Umm.. what backsplash? You are asking for ideas but aren't too clear what you want to achieve except that you want to paint the cabinets.. More info please.

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Sorry,
    I need ideas on the backsplash. I don’t want to pick something trendy. I love Subway tile, but not the ordinary kind.
    I want to paint the cabinets something light since the floor is so dark, but don’t know where to begin.

Where on the left side would the tile end since there is no wall?
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

even with the upper cabinet.... straight line down. pop off the little 3" backsplash first. looks like your switchplate would be completely surrounded, thats good. some folks end up having to move electricals one way or the other for a clean look.

• tedbixby
    hace 5 años

First take a deep breath. Are the counters staying?

• Ray D
    hace 5 años

White cabinets would look nice. Be sure to hire a professional who knows what they are doing.

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    The countertops are being replaced.
    Not sure if it will be quartz, marble or what yet.
    The color will be light.
  • Ray D
    hace 5 años

In that case definitely paint them white. May want to pick a warm/cream colored stone.

• mitzm3
    hace 5 años

I agree with Ray D. White would look lively, wait til they are done to pick a new backsplash. But you'll probably need a new countertop. The wood floor won't look nearly so dark with white cabinets.

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I did have a large bright rug that was made in Iran.
    It just didn’t work well because we do a lot of cooking and
    prep work.
  • tedbixby
    hace 5 años

Ok. Now are your cabinets in really good condition? As painting them is not going to give you the same factory finish and they won't wear as well. Would that be a concern for you?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

who is painting the cabs? a pro cabinet paint company? you know that will run about 3-5K, right?

as for countertop, pick that first. and do not get that 4" piece that goes up the back.

when you have that picked, pick a color if you still want to paint. after that is all done, counters installed, then decide on backsplash. show us pics when you get all the other stuff done and we'll help you. you're putting the cart before the horse here.

• Rachel G
    hace 5 años

I also think white cabinets would help brighten up the room tons. I think even with the lighter counter top you would still benefit from white cabinets. This current tone is just too much with the flooring you have. The color also seems a bit outdated to me.

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Counters will be white/off white quartz .
  • bgbg4us
    hace 5 años

my kitchen is very similar to yours. Several years ago i went with dark countertops - and with the wood cabinets and floors it was sure dark. We got our floors refinished with no stain - and they lightened up the whole kitchen quite a bit. I bid out painting my cabinets last year; but knew i really wanted new cabinets for the look i want; so have decided to do nothing for now.

i guess my point is maybe consider floors . . . ?

• tedbixby
    hace 5 años

If you have decided on the countertop color, does that mean you've decided on the paint color of the cabinets?

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    No decision on the exact color for the cabinets yet.
    I think I’ll wait u til the counters and tile (backsplash)are in before I decide
  • Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Painting the cabinets is a concern of mine.
    Even though they were installed when the house was built, they are in good condition and they are solid wood.
    I know it would be very costly to replace them.
  • tedbixby
    hace 5 años

As it should be. I'm not a fan of painting cabinets if they are in good condition. As once you paint the finish is never as good as the factory finish, no matter who paints them. You are replacing your counters with basically the same color you have on them now so that won't make much difference. Would you consider having your wood floors stained lighter to give you more contrast instead?

Do you have under counter lighting?

• PRO
    KRE Group LLC
    hace 5 años

Carol, painting the cabinets might be a decision you will regret. We agree it will be costly, also they look like they are great condition. However, if you keep the cabinets as they are , they would match the floor. And, your new countertops can match your backsplash color. There are so many styles, colors, & patterns of backsplash to choose from. Thats the fun part! Use your own style and creativity into your backsplash! If you go to Lowes or Home Depot or your local Tile store you will be able to see your options. And, have fun with it!

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    No floor refinishing.
    It is more than just that area.
    3 rooms involved.
  • PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    hace 5 años

We actually think your cabinets look like they are in very good condition. Are you staining them? Refinishing them? Or just wanting to paint them? Are you going to have them professionally painted? We think if you are going to have them professionally painted white would be a nice color.

Bonnie Brae Renovation · Más información
    If you are going with a white quartz countertop then you will have a wide variety of options for backsplash. Wait to decide on that until you decide what to do with the cabinets though.

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    My husband really wants to keep the cabinets as they are.
    He thinks the white quartz and a. coordinating backsplash will
    lighten things up a lot.
    A light color rug would help, I guess.
  • Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    OK, Well I’ve been busy and think I found the Quartzite for the counters and will likely use a whiteish larger subway tile.
    The counter material has “ movement” so I’ve been told I need
    plain for the backsplash.
    But there are new developments and I need some ideas.
    1) The microwave goes away and a range hood will take its place. Does it ha e to be stainless steel?
    2) Blanco singlebowl undermount sink.
    BUT,
    I am still stuck with the reddish wood cabinets.
    It’s an ugly brown and I’m wondering if I can refinish them in a warmer tone.
    3) What color could I paint he walls that would make them look less red.
  • tedbixby
    hace 5 años

If you are still debating about what to do with the cabinets, then you shouldn't be picking out a counter top until you get that figured out. Your choice for the counter top is not going to make the space feel lighter and I don't think you will be happy with the colors in it with your current wood if you go this route.

Consider doing a plain counter top with a busy backsplash. The busyness will bring the eye away from the dark floors and the cabinets. Not knowing what other colors are going on in this area maybe a blue or green. I'd look at glass to bring some sparkle to the area.

• njay
    hace 5 años
    You have a very little area to tile. I would only do something behind the stove and leave the rest of the wall as it is.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

that quartzite is Fantasy Brown. have you seen larger slabs or pictures of it? do a search on here and it will give you an idea.

I don't care for it w/your red tone cabs. Fantasy leans more towards a griege tone, so just make sure you look at a full slab to check out the colors before you say yes. Also have them show you how they're going to cut it and lay it out on the countertop . this stone has veining that runs certain ways. you want to make sure they match them correctly.

re-staining the cabs is more work than painting them. if you dislike the color cabinets, call in a pro cabinet painter and have them done in a neutral white shade.

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Do you like the backsplash in the photo.?
    I do.
    It is different than plain subway tile.
  • pricklypearcactus
    hace 5 años

At least in your photo the cabinets look really beautiful. I think they'd look really lovely with the countertops you've selected.

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    When I enlarged the picture, I think it is too busy with the backsplash.
  • tedbixby
    hace 5 años

Not quite understanding your last statement what you are asking of us? Are you keeping the counter but want a different backsplash or are you saying that the counter is too busy for you now and want to look further or are you thinking something different?

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Sorry, There is a lot lot movement in the quartzite and I think I need a backsplash that is plain.
  • tedbixby
    hace 5 años

Are you referring to the photo that Beth shows of the granite and that you don't like that backsplash?

Are you pretty much set with going with the Fantasy Brown? If so, what is your plan with the cabinets?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

carol. what is your question? don't put the cart before the horse. You are talking about some beveled subway tiles. There are probably 100 different shades of white subways, beveled edges, smooth edges, and every size you can think of.

I showed you what Fantasy Brown quartzite will look like in my pictures just so you can see how it looks. The quartzite is fine and goes with many different backsplash tiles, so don't worry about that until after it's installed. Just get your cabinet color and countertop install completed.

• Donna E
    hace 5 años

That quartzite is going to make your kitchen look very dark. I would get a light quartz, light backsplash, and a large light rug (something easy to clean (

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Checking with professional painters this week.
    I’ll be able to decide after I gather information
    I will be doing that first.
  • tedbixby
    hace 5 años

Great! :)

• felizlady
    hace 5 años
    You will have to remove the short backsplash before adding a new backsplash. A backsplash normally ends where the cabinets end.
    Paint your cabinets a medium-tone color to avoid having the same dark versus light issue. I suggest any color you like in a medium tone. Please think beyond gray.
    Once you pick your cabinet color, look at backsplash materials which will go nicely with your dark floor, your medium-color cabinets AND your white counter. The backsplash can match the counter color or even the new cabinet color, or it can have all three colors, including a color like your floor, in a patterned tile. Choose carefully. It will be with you a long time. Bring home a sample to look at in your kitchen.
  • User
    hace 5 años

Hi Carol, since you like the subway tiles but not the plain kind how about using them but not in the regular way, some ideas

the lovely herringbone pattern will spice it up a bit and since you are removing the microwave something like this might give it a little more attitude since your working with just that one wall area, if you can put them to work on getting you the cabinets to white it will all come together and look so nice for you!

• niccidhg
    hace 5 años
    Carol, if you do decide to have your cabinetry painted , I would consider painting the BASE cabinets a deep charcoal , dark blue/or a gray/ green and painting only the uppers white . I think painting the base cabinets white will only serve to emphasize the darker reddish tone of the floor, which you don’t seem to like . I think having the base cabinets either be a darker color or a complimentary color will give a whole new and beautiful look to your floors .
  • niccidhg
    hace 5 años
    Here is the gray green color I think would be beautiful . Also , if painting top and bottom cabs. the same , here is a mushroom color that would be beautiful as an alternative to all white , and I think would be so pretty with the quartzite you were considering - especially with a white backsplash .
  • PRO
    WS Granite Tops
    hace 5 años

FANTASY BROWN IS NOT A QUARTZITE, it is a MARBLE.

You do not want to risk putting something so fragile and porous at your kitchen.

Some fabricators sell it as quartzite because they know it will not sell as marble. Be careful with what they offer you, and do a deep research first.

Go light with your countertop, so you can play around with the backsplash. You need to chose only one thing to catch the attention on your kitchen.

If you do not like your actual "dark look" kitchen, you will not b happy with dark cabinets and busy countertop.

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Beth H,
    Now someone is telling me Fantasy Brown is not Quartzite but Marble.
    What do you think?
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    hace 5 años

If you love subways but not the "ordinary kind", consider a 2 x 8, rather than the standard 3 x 6. It will give you a more transitional, to contemporary, look. And it is still very cost effective!

And, I agree with painting the cabinets. Just make sure you hire someone who knows what they are doing. You can't just paint over wood, you need to use a treatment that will eliminate the grain, so that you get a smooth surface.

• Carol
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    We have decided to decide on the countertop and that will be
    followed by a professional painting of the cabinets.
    Our decision is Taj Mahal quartzite.
    The issue we have to decide is what to do with the area behind the sink and under the window.
    The countertop company suggested we continue the
    quartzite.
    The vertical (splash) piece behind the sink will be quartzite.

The area in question is 25” deep and 77” long. It is presently
    made of wood.

Should be continue with the quartzite? Make a shelf ??
    I really need help with this can’t move forward without a plan for that area,
    !!!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

have them cut a piece and step it up in place of the wood. I did it w/my garden window bump out and it's been great. the other option, is get a real piece of wood, maybe teak or ipe, (water resistant) and have that cut to size to fit there. but the Taj would look very cohesive and perfect in that spot

• niccidhg
    hace 5 años
    I would go for the quartzite there as well - more cohesive - much easier cleaning for splashes from the sink , plant debris or whatever. Our countertop runs right up the backsplash and across the sink ledge and we love it. It’s a nice clean look. Besides, you are wanting to paint the cabinetry , so a third material( ie. another natural stained wood )would not really tie into anything - and if you painted it you would be right back to what it is now.
  • fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
    hace 5 años

Be aware that I was told by a professional to demo the current countertop, THEN have the cabinets painted, then install new countertop, then install the backsplash. They can do the best job painting the cabinets with no countertop on!!!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.