Houzz Logo Print
dale_borthwick

Front garden to driveway conversion

hace 6 años

We have had a few quotes to have our front garden turned into a driveway, and each contractor seems to have a different idea as to what they want to do to the space. Which is good but I have no idea what would be best!

My initial thought was to have a parking space next to the garden wall on the left, then and arching drive on/off next to it. Maybe a small feature on the curved corner. One of the contractors mentioned the turning circle may be too tight for that.

So now I just don't know what to go for. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comentarios (22)

• hace 6 años

Its around 7m deep by 10m wide. We arrive in from the North, so could pull in on the right, or go round the corner and go toward the house. Good point - we both drive estates.

• PRO
    hace 6 años

Hi Dale, I'm right in the the middle of a project at the minute but if youre willing to wait until either the half term or after the half term I could share a quick sketch or ideabook with you from my profile if that sort of thing interests you? much easier to explain things visually with a quick sketch than trying to put it in words.

• PRO
    hace 6 años

ps if you could get your location up on google maps and share the link with me I could potentially use the data from google maps and import it into google sketchup to get more accurate measurements?

• hace 6 años

I'm no pro, but a turning circle seems a bit ambitious for the space. Did you consider the view from inside the house? You might rather not look at a car from the living room. And that same view is possibly not a problem from bedroom...... just a thought.

• hace 6 años
    Personally I think that this house has a great position overlooking green space and stands very well with its front garden bordered by elegant railings. In my opinion this will be completely ruined if you turn it into a car park especially as there is already a lot of hard surfaces because of roads and shared driveways.

In my opinion if you want additional parking you should make the parking in front of your garage bigger.
  • hace 6 años
    Totally agree. It would be such a shame to loose a pretty garden that sets the house off so well.
  • hace 6 años
    It’s the utility room and dining room at the front of the house so not looking out on it much. To be honest I like it how it is too but we have a toddler and little one on the way and my wife doesn’t want be be walking down the road from the garage with them.
  • hace 6 años
    Could you put a gate in the wall by the garage?
  • hace 6 años
    Could do...would need a path to the patio as it gets boggy quite easily. I’ll suggest it and see where I get to!
  • hace 6 años

Tbh I hadnt even observed the birds eye view correctly as exhausted at the minute. Completely missed that there was a garage there. I absolutely agree with others now. Leave the railing alone as it is in keeping with the style of the house. Steal a bit of land from the larger garden to enlarge parking in front of garage and create doorway/garden gateway in wall to access parking from garden.

• hace 6 años

By the looks of it you wouldn't even need to lose that much of the garden to get another vehicle on the drive in front of the garage, 2-3 metres at most.

• hace 6 años
    Thanks everyone I think we are going to go with the doorway in the wall. Saved me a few pennies and everyone is happy!
  • hace 6 años
    Really glad to hear that- in my opinion loosing the front garden would have devalued your house
  • hace 6 años

Result.

Houzz rocks! :)

• hace 6 años

Kudos to Houzz and it's users. Without it's members Houzz would not exist, don't forget the people! The people rock!

• hace 6 años

If I say 'Houzz', its users are clearly included. :)

• hace 5 años

Traditionally, drives have gone in a straight line up to the house, which was fine when the family only owned one car but since then many of us have two and it is a pain having to move cars around. With this in mind, I suggested to my husband to curve a new driveway around under the bay window, a bit like a tree trunk with a branch. Mindful of not totally tarmacing, we have been able to keep grass areas on both sides. My husband took some convincing, mindful of extra cost and he being the man, that this was his domain but it works we are very pleased with the result.

• hace 5 años
    i would check whether the local authority will even allow a driveway into the front garden. There are certainly requirements in terms of sight lines and there may restrictions in regard to how close to a junction a driveway can be installed. you will also need to pay for an LA survey, if there isn't an existing dropped kerb, and the cost of the crossover. our LA required all preparatory works to be completed within 3 months of paying the crossover fee.
  • hace 5 años
    I'm late to this conversation but agreed that it would be a shame to affect the front aspect of your home. Better use of the entry via the garden by expanding the garage parking area and adding a gate, will make use of your space flow better. Can you upload some pictures when your project is done?
  • hace 5 años
    Don't know if you've done anything yet but your house looks reasonably new. Please check not only the original transfer deed but also the original planning permission. You may not be able to use your garden at all for parking.
  • hace 5 años

We didn't go into the garden to extend the parking, just put a gate into the wall by the garage. It's fine for now with 2 cars. Put an electromag lock on the gate so it' easy access with a key fob. Nice pathway up to the patio. Works well with 2 children in tow!

I will take some photos if I remember. I looked at the deeds and we actually own a strip of land opposite (from the edge of the drive all the way along the garden wall). I would have to speak to the council as they own the rest of the fields but maybe I could turn that into some parking space in the future.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.