mesweeney

How can we update this painted brick fireplace?

Mary Ellen
hace 10 años
My mom removed the dark wood paneling in the family of room of her 1969 ranch home to brighten it up. Now this asymmetric white painted fireplace is the focal point of the room. Is there any way to update it?

Comentarios (40)

• jkwhiteley
    hace 10 años
    You could build on top of the brick to only reveal a part of the brick fireplace, making it look symmetrical. There could be wall shelving all around it to make it look right. You could whitewash your bricks to change their look also. Just some ideas...
    Mary Ellen agradeció a jkwhiteley
  • jkwhiteley
    hace 10 años
    I guess they're already light, so maybe no whitewash, but a different technique to update them.
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    hace 10 años
    I would repaint the brick so that the mortar lines are lighter. They look a bit too defined now. I did my fireplace all over including mortar in BM edgecome gray and then just the face of the bricks in cloud white to add some definition. Tons of compliments, looks like its always been that way.
    Mary Ellen agradeció a ReMax - Lisa
  • Lynn Roberts
    hace 10 años
    I would cover it with sheet rock mud. You could layer it until the grout lines are filled in and the brick no longer shows. Do you know anyone that can paint it to look like marble. If so, do the marbling then seal it with a shiny finish. There is also Venetian plaster in several different colors. (Venetian plaster is marble dust with liquid added).....it is applied with a putty knife also.

The mantle could be a 2x8 or larger held up with corbels.....and a large mirror with a wide frame 4" to 5" wide.
    Mary Ellen agradeció a Lynn Roberts
  • Mary Ellen
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I think we want to go with a less expensive treatment so painting may be the way to go. Do we have to prime the grout and painted brick with any special primer? I'm also wondering if we could use something besides a flat white that would give it more depth.
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    hace 10 años
    Light gray might work better then flat white, and gray is steadily more popular. It seems interior design is moving toward “cool” neutrals like gray’s instead of “warm” neutrals like beige.
  • Natalie
    hace 10 años
    Hi---yes paint the fireplace a deep color as well as the surrounding wall. Doing so will make the FP appear more balanced and make for a nice focal point. Pic for inspiration. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    bay house · Más información
    ]
    Mary Ellen agradeció a Natalie
  • PRO
    Colin Edward Slais, Architect, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Painting brick is an easy inexpensive way to update. You might want to think about an attractive wood mantle in a style that matches the style of the rest of the home (maybe more traditional). Hanging a painting/picture above will attract the eye and help make the fireplace the focal point it should be. A stone, tile, or marble surround will also help give it some pop and make it appear more traditional rather than 1960's mod.
    Mary Ellen agradeció a Colin Edward Slais, Architect, LLC
  • Kim D
    hace 10 años
    I would knock it all down, there is no good reason for the brick to continue almost the entire length of the wall when it adds nothing to the room.
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    hace 10 años
    Colin Edward Slais, Architect, LLC - Great advice. If you do look at a wood mantle... here are a few ideas that might give you some inspiration...
    A Stunning Focal Point · Más información

A Stunning Focal Point · Más información

Timeless Appeal · Más información

Timeless Appeal · Más información

Traditional Elegance · Más información

Fireplace Mantel with Traditional Style and Dark Stained Cherry Wood · Más información

Craftsman Living Room · Más información
    Mary Ellen agradeció a Dura Supreme Cabinetry
  • jcschier
    hace 10 años
    I would paint the fireplace a light to medium gray, then above that I would have a 3'-height of hammered metal sheeting, with a white mantel above.
    Mary Ellen agradeció a jcschier
  • Leslie
    hace 10 años
    I agree about painting the fireplace a light color, as the room itself seems a bit dark, and that would help brighten up the space. You might even think about painting the wall behind the fireplace as an accent, to help liven the space. I'm thinking something like this:

Asymmetrical White Fireplace Purple Room · Más información
    Mary Ellen agradeció a Leslie
  • PRO
    Designer Accents
    hace 10 años
    Are you a traditionalist or a contemporist? What style does the house lean itself to? These are all things to consider before making your decision. If you like contemporary I like the asymetry of the current fireplace. If not the surrounds look nice.
  • razzle123
    hace 10 años
    i would start by getting rid of the carpet. I would add a bookcases to the left and right, on the right go over about 2 feet to balance the fireplace out. then add a decorative mantel in a style you love. I would do the floors in a oak color. I love the idea that natilie suggested. it is beautiful. and go with something like that.
  • PRO
    FORMA Design
    hace 10 años
    I would suggest possibly picking a new material to reface the mass of the fireplace, floor to ceiling ( stone? concrete? tile?) , and then painting the background wall a contrasting color. See attached images, below.
    Mary Ellen agradeció a FORMA Design
  • njrealtor
    hace 10 años
    I had this same set up in a previous home and here is how I addressed it. Cost was around $6000 including converting it to gas. It really opened up the room.
  • PRO
    Toronto Designers
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    This fireplace has a very contemporary feel and I actually love it! I wouldn't paint the grout and brick differently, but rather the same. And you can go a few ways - paint it all black, including the mantel and little hearth, or all white with a darker colour on the walls. If painted black, it will make the fireplace opening less obviously asymmetrical and might be easier for you to live with. I personally like the idea of it all being white with a darker colour on the wall behind it like navy blue, and then you can line up some simple black vases with single stems or sticks in each on the right side for balance. Stunning and contemporary, if you like that look.

And because of the age of the house, I wouldn't do a traditional fireplace mantel. I like this retro look for the house. If you really hate it, then as someone else suggested, paint it and the wall behind it the same colour - all black would be nice! With some great colourful art on the walls!
    Mary Ellen agradeció a Toronto Designers
  • elcieg
    hace 10 años
    Colin is right. That hearth needs to be updated. As is it is dangerous, also makes the whole fireplace look like a 280 pound full back with a size 7 shoe.

Toronto and I both like it the brick…it fits the 1969 house. Except I would leave it alone and trim it out in that (I almost said vintage…..shoot me, that was the year I got married!) style. Continue the dark mantel all around and replace that tiny hearth with a dark brown granite.
    Contemporary Living Room · Más información
  • PRO
    Chip's Kitchens & Baths
    hace 10 años
    This is the after photo of a fireplace I redid for a client it was as simple as putting porcelain tile over the ugly brick!
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    For an inexpensive fix, paint out the entire fireplace and mantle with a single color, as well as the wall above the mantle (align with the edges of the brick veneer, not the mantle). It will give it an updated look. Hang a large piece of art directly above the fireplace. To select the color, the simple way would be to start with replacing the rocker switches/cover either in a gray or metal and match to that. Leviton and Lutron both make rocker switches and covers in gray/metal and you can find them at most home improvement or hardware stores.
    Mary Ellen agradeció a User
  • Mary Ellen
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I think we like the idea of all white either with a white mantle or a dark mantle.
    Is there special paint for brick? If we did all white should it be semi-glass or satin?
  • Linda Stolz
    hace 10 años
    I would install inexpensive shelves on each side of the fireplace, and be sure to extend them past the brick on the left, in order to center the fireplace box between them. You will need to add some simple blocking (wood pieces) to the wall on that side, to bring the surface out to the same plane as the front of the bricks. Choose bookcases that are taller than the mantle, or even go all the way up to the ceiling . Beef up that mantle to something twice as thick. Consider painting the back of the shelves a different colour to bring some attention to them. Trim the tops with crown molding, put a great piece of art over the fireplace (choose your background colour for your shelves from either the art or the mat around it) and you are all set!
    Mary Ellen agradeció a Linda Stolz
  • bordercolliesrule
    hace 10 años
    Put some decorations on the top!
    Mary Ellen agradeció a bordercolliesrule
  • Pegster
    hace 10 años
    Since you are on a limited budget, you can either paint the brick and mantel the color of the existing wall, or paint the entire wall and the brick the same dark color. Natalie showed you some pics of this look, and it might work well for you. I like the dark idea, because that black fireplace surround will stick out like a sore thumb if you go light with the background. If you go darker, it will blend in and essentially disappear. Add a large piece of artwork over the fireplace and then select a few large accent pieces grouped at the other end of the mantel to balance it. Another choice is to hang family photo's along the entire wall in an interesting grouping. (The brick & grout will really suck up the paint, so be sure to seal it before painting.)
    Mary Ellen agradeció a Pegster
  • PRO
    Bohemian Stoneworks
    hace 10 años
    Check out some of our custom fireplaces using concrete hearths and mantles! http://www.houzz.com/projects/261280/Fireplaces
  • PRO
    HX Home Solutions and North Star Stone
    hace 10 años
    You can easily add a stone veneer right over the brick. You have stone shipped and can install yourself to save on costs. Using a stone veneer allows you to customize the color and stone style, and you can usually save 20-30% overall on a project with the veneers.

Here's a "before and after" of a fireplace with a similar brick to yours to show you how it looks-

Stone Fireplaces Before & After · Más información

Stone Fireplaces Before & After · Más información
  • Barbara Disraeli
    hace 10 años
    I love the assymetry of it, even though it does take up alot of wall space. I agree with many of the comments here. I was going to suggest painting the brick black, and adding a wooden shelf/mantle...rustic or refined, in a nice cherry or warm wood tone. A stone face or veneer is another great update. But you can use the rest of the brick wall for storage of wood, glove, accessories....make little bump outs if you like with whatever surface you decide to use, either brick or stone, or just use store bought units to hold the accessories. It's a great fireplace...enjoy! And post the updates please!
  • jingstad
    hace 10 años
    I would paint the brick/grout white. Add a thicker/deeper shelf on top of the existing shelve and paint it black. Remove the row of bricks from the floor. To the right of the fireplace opening build a simple platform about 18" deep and 18" high. (a faux raised hearth/seating) Paint it black or white. Then put a row of 18" ceramic or slate tiles in dark gray on the floor beginning at the left end of the fireplace right up to the "raised hearth". Then either face the "faux hearth" with the tiles or just leave it painted. You can put the tiles on top of the "raised hearth" or just leave painted and add colorful pillows/cushions. You could hang the flat screen tv above the "hearth" and artwork above the fireplace opening. The wall should be painted a nice gray. Accessories will do a lot to improve the area surrounding the fireplace. I have posted a picture that gives the "idea" of the partial raised hearth...though it isn't the best picture...don't use the molding. You could also just build a "bench" (as in the 2nd picture) that begins at the right of the fireplace opening and continues to the end of the "brick wall". .
    Mary Ellen agradeció a jingstad
  • jingstad
    hace 10 años
    Here is a picture of the wall, brick and mantle all painted the same color.
  • PRO
    Jacrda
    hace 10 años
    Paint with heat tempered paint a lighter gray screen doors add a larger tile on the floor one or two foot deep paint the fireplace a gray and the. Mental a deep mink grey a long horizontal art or several pieces of art but long a metal or iron gate look pull out the mid modern look
  • PRO
    Mattingly Construction
    hace 10 años
    custom concrete panels make a very nice fireplace too. there are several finishes as well as colors to choose from.
  • jingstad
    hace 10 años
    A simple update would be to paint the fireplace and mortar white, install a wider mantel and then free floating shelves above the mantel on the right half of the brick and the flat screen tv or large artwork above the fireplace. Seating around the fireplace with the sofa perpendicular to the fireplace opening and then chairs across from it. It would make the long fireplace seem more like an area within the larger room. Accessories do a lot to add character to the space. The photo on the left, shows the furniture grouped around the fireplace with nice accessories beside it. The next photo shows the free floating shelves. The final photo is another furniture arrangement without anything in front of the brick. It is amazing what a few accessories can do for a space.
    Mary Ellen agradeció a jingstad
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    If you don't want to remove it, inexpensively, you can faux paint in tan, brown with brown/black mantle. If that's your colors.
    Living Room Exposed Faux Brick Wall · Más información

or white mantle
    Faux Stone Fireplaces · Más información
    Mary Ellen agradeció a LB Interiors
  • Lin
    hace 10 años
    I would go with a skinny slate brick to preserve the mid century aesthetics of the house, since it's a 1969 home. Something minimalist but with some texture would draw some interest to that big wall.
    Mary Ellen agradeció a Lin
  • PRO
    Simply Beautiful Remodeling, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Painting is definitely the inexpensive fix, although a different color won't address the actual problems- design of fireplace and safety of the hearth. If she wants to update it without any concern with trying to maintain a mid-century aesthetic, I think slab marble would look great, especially with the off-center fireplace. Using a stone slab would add natural beauty and make the entire fireplace look like the center-piece, instead of an off-center fire box. Add a simple dark wood mantel to finish it off, remove the currently-unsafe hearth and use the same stone material on the floor to make a hearth with a proper depth.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    hace 10 años
    I would leave the brick and grout alone. Put the money into safety first as Colin suggested. After that, if funds allow change the screen to stainless and a Calacatta mantel slab that is 1 1/2 times the height of the brick.
    Lake Country Builders · Más información
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 10 años
    Here's an example of a suggestion for another houzzer with a wide brick fireplace wall. Maybe you can do something like this. The brick may take on an entire new feeling if you add some molding and a dimension with design elements to the wall above. Add a firebox surround and beef up the mantle.
    After Living Room - Fireplace Wall · Más información
  • Kivi
    hace 10 años
    Since you are leaning towards paint... just talk to the folks at a good paint store for the best type of paint. As for the finish, I would choose satin rather than semi-gloss.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    it is a very nice fireplace. before doing anything to it consider cladding that mantel in a thing wood mantel. you need heft over all that brick. right now it looks alike a big man with a small hat. out of proportion.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.