Houzz Logo Print
lorn_joseph

Side return extension - layout

L McJoseph
hace 6 años
We are extending to the side and back of our Victorian terrace flat, whilst reconfiguring the rooms to make way for an extra bedroom and ensuite. However we are struggling massively with the layout of the open plan living/dining/kitchen space at the back of the house. I would like the kitchen and dining space to feel quite separate from the living room so they feel like two distinct rooms but am struggling with how to lay this out. We also have this funny little box space off the back of the room which we would like to use for something but not sure what. Would love any ideas people have or examples of other similar extensions as I am struggling a little!

Comentarios (10)

• L McJoseph
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Here is the before and after floorplan
  • A B
    hace 6 años

I love the layout. It would be worth working with a designer, but I wonder if you had the dining table in the middle, you could have a small 'wall' either permanent or furniture, to separate the living and dining/kitchen space. You could attach a TV to this for the living side too. It could obviously block views of the garden depending on it's height though.

• PRO
    The kitchen company Worcestershire Ltd
    hace 6 años
    How about putting a partial partition wall in like in this image, which you could utilise for tall kitchen units on one side and mount the tv on the other side.
  • Jonathan
    hace 6 años
    I think that you should work with a designer to help you visualise the space. Personally I think that you have made some compromises to have the 3rd bedroom- for instance there is little storage, the washing machine will have to go in the kitchen/living room which could be intrusive. I also feel that you would appreciate a bigger main room.
    I might be tempted to consider swapping bed 3 for a bathroom with laundry cupboard and then gaining what was the bathroom space for the kitchen/ living room
  • PRO
    Urbanist Architecture
    hace 5 años

We have a lot of experience with extension projects that are similar to yours. That’s why I believe we could help you with designing your dream house! We can prepare layout options but also help with visualising the space by using all our creativity. Just to give you an idea of what we do, please visit our website:

https://urbanistarchitecture.co.uk/

We love helping our clients get planning permission and turn their dreams into reality!

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    hace 5 años
    Hi there. I love Jen’s idea for the seating. It’s zoning that you will need to look at to help these spaces feel separate.. giving them their own function and personality.

I also agree with the few comments regarding working with a designer. It really helps to visualise the space and gets you several layout options to consider. There are plenty of pros on here who work with concept planning or full interior design, who would be able to help you looking at this layout.

Have you considers using a designer yet?
  • A B
    hace 5 años
    Did you get anywhere with this Lorn?
  • L McJoseph
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thank you so much everyone for you comments. We actually spoke to a really helpful designer at the Grand Designs event in London last weekend who suggested that we keep the kitchen all down the right, the living room at the back and the dining table straight across. It was so helpful chatting with her and I wonder whether perhaps we do need to hire a designer to help us a bit more. All of these comments have been really helpful though so thank you!
  • L McJoseph
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    These are the plans submitted to the council
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.