Houzz Logo Print
meeko100

Need new kitchen countertops, sink and stovetop

meeko100
hace 10 años
I love my kitchen space but there is so much counter area that selecting a new top is frightening. Do we go with darker for contrast with cabinets or stay light with cabinets? Would a farmer stand sink work? Plan to replace gas stovetop with another gas one.

Comentarios (17)

• bdgracy
    hace 10 años
    Would you mind sharing the type of wood of your cabinet and stain?
  • PRO
    La Pietra Tile & Stone
    hace 10 años
    I think your cabinets are great all you need is new counters and maybe a backsplash. I would suggest the following. Super white quartzite, sea pearl, taj mahal
  • PRO
    La Pietra Tile & Stone
    hace 10 años
    I would also change appliances to a stainless steel and definitely get and undermount sink.
  • bancken
    hace 10 años
    La Pietra, I love all three of these stones. Which is which?
  • meeko100
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The cabinets were built onsite by Yoder Kitchen and they are a very light cream colored wood.
  • PRO
    La Pietra Tile & Stone
    hace 10 años
    From top to bottom
    Sea pearl quartzite, super white quartzite and taj mahal. Quartzite is a natural stone and its harder than granite yet it has a beautiful marble look.
  • bancken
    hace 10 años
    La Pietra, Thank you for your response.
  • PRO
    JDM Countertops, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    I love the suggestions that La Pietra provided. Quartzite is a great option for kitchens: the look of marble but durability of granite. Here's another one called Calcutta Quartzite named after the marble.
  • meeko100
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    So I think I am hearing I should go in grey tones but light and use Quartz vs granite?
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Quartzite is different than quartz and is more expensive than quartz and granite if that is a concern - but beautiful.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    This river valley granite looks like it could be nice with your cabinets
    http://houzz.com/photos/2473496
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Since your cabinets are a light cream and not white, I would chose a color that is more warm rather than the gray tones. ** See photo #1 Milky White granite or Photo #2 Kashmir White granite.

Think about going with something lighter around the perimeter part of the kitchen and then on the island go with something darker and bold, making a statement! ** If you want to go green like the walls, think about something similar to photo # 3 Autumn Green granite or Photo #4 Golden Ray granite.

Since your walls are painted green, are you planning on keeping that color or paint later another color? If so, this will open up your options.

Please note: The photos posted, I was not suggesting in the combinations together.

In terms of a farm sink, yes you can. You will need to have a carpenter take off the sink false drawer and cut the front of the cabinet to fit the sink. I have had this done numerous time with existing cabinets, not a problem. Just make sure you purchase a sink that will fit the size of your cabinet. Check out Whitehaus Sinks or Rowe, which are my favorites.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I agree with wyland re the warm counter (that's why I liked the river valley). If you want to do contrasting perimeter and island, in the pic I posted antique brown granite is on the perimeter - I like the combination.
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    hace 10 años
    Quartz counter tops are antimicrobial and never need sealing, unless you go with honed quartz than it does. Many quartz counter tops are less expensive than many granite or quartzite.
  • PRO
    JDM Countertops, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Quartz on average is more expensive than your average granite. Quartzite is definitely more expensive for the material, however, no moreso for labor.

Kashmir White is a beautiful granite, but the Indian exporter is no longer able to export it so if you can want it and can find it jump on it.

Just an FYI on engineered quartz, it is not necessarily heat resistant, therefore, you cannot set your hot pans directly on it. On the quartz vs granite/natural stone debate, it really just depends on what your priorities are.
  • PRO
    Best Tile & Wood
    hace 10 años
    Your kitchen as it is now is very simple, feels very "tone on tone". Your cabinet color is not the easiest to work with. If you want your kitchen to be dramatic and really make a statement you will go dark with your countertop selection. If you want a warm cozy feel you should stay more neutral in your color selection. If you go real light with your selection you wash things out. There are some beautiful granites that work beautifully with your cabinets. They are in the "gray swirly" family. They have hints of dusty rose in them that may play well with your cabinets. It looks like you have a raised bar area. It might be interesting to do the island and the raised bar area in one material and the lower / perimeter tops in another.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.