Houzz Logo Print
kwesselman

Desperately needing curb appeal help!

kwesselman
hace 10 años
This is the front of our house. Lots of flagstone and concrete. We don't know where to start, but we do know we want color. Any ideas welcome.

Comentarios (44)

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 10 años
    What a charmer! There are a number of ways you can go depending on your budget. And in either case, it's much more a matter of enhancing what you have rather than changing it. (Except for a bit of jackhammering on the high end to create planting beds.)
  • msmliss
    hace 10 años
    I agree! Once the jackhammer work is finished you can bring in the living things and begin to relax and breathe! GORGEOUS! front door!
  • kwesselman
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    What part would you jackhammer?
  • Lesli Richardson
    hace 10 años
    Can you add pics so we can see what looks to be a garage?
  • designsublime
    hace 10 años
    If using the jackhammer and doing bedding isn't in the budget right now, I would play off of the red roof and use large cast concrete container with dark greenery and maybe some geraniums in front of the landing to give an illusion of hedge, paint the bench a complimentary shade close to the roof color and at the right corner use another large container with something tall and slender in a lighter green to soften that corner....It is a lovely home.
  • handymam
    hace 10 años
    Gorgeous stonework. This house would benefit from some greenery, jackhammered in or in very large pots.

Why is there a yellow line on the curb?
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    I imagine the yellow line keeps people from tripping.

How about a few of these?
  • Sms
    hace 10 años
    If that is a driveway perhaps you could break it up with some green (climate permitting)
  • handymam
    hace 10 años
    I see your dilemma now. The garage door is on the left in the pic and is right up to the side of the stairs?

Definitely put plants in those pots by the chimney, and maybe a hayrack style window box on the railing. Plant flowers that will spill ove the side.
  • PRO
    Paint Home
    hace 10 años
    what about decorative finish on your concrete floor?
    kwesselman agradeció a Paint Home
  • Love Of Design
    hace 10 años
    Some more idea's
  • msmliss
    hace 10 años
    Yes, I realize now, too, that that the garage entrance is right up against that gutter, however, I like zeigast's suggestion, and saw a house transformation on one of the television remodeling shows a while back where the new owner made his entire driveway like it, very large diamonds of concrete with a hardy grass inbetween and it was spectacular! If your budget affords, get some opinions of possibly sawing through that concrete. As for the yellow caution line! lol consider extending that step with an edge of stone like what's on the house, and stain the walk to set off the stone edge. Finally, I agree with purchasing large/tall CURVED terracotta-like urns and plant with drought tolerant, slow-growing, dramatic spear-like leafed plants suitable for your area, round shapes and tall open ones, the taller the better.
    kwesselman agradeció a msmliss
  • qam999
    hace 10 años
    Charming house, the stonework and arches are really lovely and nicely done. The concrete is just a bit stark. If you have to have paving over that whole area for some reason, I would go for something more decorative: e.g. add stone or brick trim, stamped concrete, tinted or stained, pebbles embedded, etc,.
  • msmliss
    hace 10 años
    Barring the expense of breaking up the drive, I like soberg's idea of considering faux stone stains!
  • PRO
    hace 10 años
    I Would start out by balancing the home by covering the stone around the windows,with colored stucco ,a nice golden ,or a red rust color
    than add a wooded trellis and some columns,Also I recommend a rendering and colored elevations of you home
    to help in design
    Eric M Schiabor Artist and residential designer
    kwesselman agradeció a 1960
  • kwesselman
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Wow, I'm very impressed with all of the suggestions. My husband and I agree about the yellow line. It was here when we moved in, but it is worthy of a chuckle. It was to keep people from tripping. I added more pics. One of the back of the house. Thank you all so much. I'm inspried.
  • handymam
    hace 10 años
    I think some weightyer railings up to the front door would add some charm as well.

Check the ideabooks for an arbor that would span the three garage doors. Perhaps you could add a vine at the far end to grow up and along the arbor to add some greenery and color.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I would remove the bench and wall plant box and put in a wall fountain. Add some greenery on each side. I think if you stained the walkway entrance a brown color you could do away with the yellow line. It will define the step up.
  • PRO
    rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Change out the white soffit/facia/gutters/trim. Add a bolder railing, repaint/change the white garage doors, maybe even update the roof. Entry doors are nice, but a re-stain/paint could make them pop and work on the driveway and that step.
  • jiangmeidesign
    hace 10 años
    The size of the plants by the side of your front door and between the garage doors are too small. Changing to something larger/taller will add impact. I don't know what's in front of the driveway. I think if you do good lanscaping there, it will draw people's attention away from the driveway.
  • printesa
    hace 10 años
    If you want to keep the concrete yard, then use large pots to bring some green. Depending on your area, you can use plants that work. Here is an example
    AMS Landscape Design Studios, Inc. · Más información
    kwesselman agradeció a printesa
  • handymam
    hace 10 años
    printesa, that's nice!
  • PRO
    Soothing Company
    hace 10 años
    Our outdoor wall fountains are available in several finishes...

http://www.soothingwalls.com/outdoor-fountains/wall-outdoor-fountains.html
  • PRO
    The Brothers that just do Gutters
    hace 10 años
    The addition of Half Round Copper Gutters would add color and contrast. You could add custom copper leaders and downspouts to finish the job! Good luck :)
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    I love stone but too much of one element can ruin it . You wanted color try this for color .
    kwesselman agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Susan Berry Design, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    For a starter budget, stain the concrete drive with a deep chocolate and rust color. Add copper flower boxes that hang from the top of the wrought iron railing. Google them. Plant colorful cascading vines in the flower boxes. You need light sconces that are twice the size of the existing ones. These are to small. Also a larger lantern from the ceiling. Paint the white soffits and fascia boards a deep brown color that looks like a natural dark brown wood color. Add large terra cotta or glazed blue, green and yellow flower pots by the fireplace. Add a tall wrought iron decorative piece that's about 3 feet wide by 6 feet tall to the wall up high on the chimney centered between the window. Many of the Homegoods type stores have them for under $50.00
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    One more option a little less color stained concrete .
  • Richard Panek
    hace 10 años
    If possible, paint soffit, fascia, downspouts and window frames/mullions taupe to brown/antique bronze. Then add some climbing ivy to grow on the chimney.
  • qam999
    hace 10 años
    I like the simplicity and dignity of the current look. The stone has a massive quality that should not be trifled with via futzy details, IMO. Any enhancements should keep this in mind.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Something has to be done with that driveway, It throws everything off . In this drawing I added copper lighting, painted the gutters and fascia, toned down colors and less plants .
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    hace 10 años
    I agree with the above poster that you should add grass strips but I also think you should change the entry stairs into a grander open look that half circles back to the house (albeit one sided half circle) then cut out the area next to the house for a planter. See below images for concepts.
  • tcufrog
    hace 10 años
    I would paint the gutters to match the stone so they fade into the house. I would also paint the trim around the windows a brownto coordinate with the front door. The white looks cheap on a rather high end looking house.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    I'll modify the drawing tommorow to include the above mention colors and see about the steps any other suggestions please list .
  • Cat Rowe
    hace 10 años
    Oh dear EBHD!
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    No need Rowe I am out all yours .
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Because I keep to my word here are the modifications to the drawing .Last and final.
  • qam999
    hace 10 años
    Re the yellow painted line to keep people from tripping: Great motivation, not so great execution. How about covering/replacing it with some bright decorative tiles that serve the same purpose but don't look so....governmental? Then tie the tiles in with color or pattern elsewhere.
    kwesselman agradeció a qam999
  • Cat Rowe
    hace 10 años
    Excellent on your last design EBHD! What did you do on the drive? Flagtone overlay or stain? I like how you changed the roof colour! It just warmed the whole design up! I would opt for a different bench, just a change from cement or stone.
    kwesselman agradeció a Cat Rowe
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    When I do a drawing for a client I have already spoken with them to find out there likes and dislikes.. I then can produce a realistic drawing of what we discussed . It's a bit challenging on houzz you don't always get the whole picture from the brief description we get hence I may miss the mark from time to time but eventually get the idea from your comments . To answer your question after looking at the house I realized it had a monochromatic feel . By changing the color of the roof , adding a Pensilvania veneer stone to the drive way the house came alive with warmth . I also added two suggestion from houzz members. One member said to make a wider entryway so I did another said make trim darker so I did . Can,t take all the credit but it works . just want to give houzz members and designers another way to express there visions .Take a look at my projects on houzz you will see much better drawings . Visit my site www. Ebtdesigns.com think you,ll like what you see.
  • PRO
    Suburban Designs
    hace 10 años
    I would suggest a wall mounted arbor over the garage doors. See my Idea Book on Arbors.
    kwesselman agradeció a Suburban Designs
  • Connie
    hace 9 años
    This house looks like it could be SO special. I want to change the garage doors to wooden carriage house style doors, similar in tone and design to the front door.
  • groveraxle
    hace 9 años
    Old post.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    hace 9 años
    ********************************THE END***************************************
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.