ghingalls

Please give me ideas for the layout of my kitchen and also where to make my dining area.

ghingalls
hace 10 años
I would love to have a breakfast area too. We are very casual people and the home is across from the ocean.

Comentarios (19)

• PRO
    J. Vann Residence Designer, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Is the "island" in front of the doors actually an island or a table?
  • PRO
    J. Vann Residence Designer, LLC
    hace 10 años
    If it is an island, consider making it a peninsula and do away with the small island. I prefer two entrances but for your needs this will give you room for a table where the island is now, maybe further to the living area side and closer to the windows between the French doors. Move surface unit to penninsula.
  • ghingalls
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    What is your thought with the dining room table being away from kitchen at front of the home?
  • annemariehaugen
    hace 10 años
    Are you looking for "formal" dining? If so play with the pantry and use the office, unless its needed as an office.
    Otherwise I agree with the suggestions above. Good luck!
  • Brent Heppner
    hace 10 años
    Hello. It appears that you have a small work station and an island in the kitchen? Or is that a skylight? I would consider removing the wall with the refrigerator (if its not load bearing) and sliding the fridge back to the wall with the sink. This would open up quite a lot of space and allow you one large work station/island while also offering open living and more sight lines.
    I'm a rookie/ homeowner, just some thoughts.
  • jbenefield
    hace 10 años
    We did away with a kitchen table and did 4 island chairs and a setee like a double chaise in kitchen. We went with a nice single dining table thats beautiful but not too formal. Will try to send pics. We have a few on Tatum Brown Builders Houzz site under Northaven home
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 10 años
    The porch area looks like a good spot for a dining room.
  • Pa P
    hace 10 años
    Would make a few changes, but it is really helpful to understand, how you came up with this,design and why you want to change it. What is it that does not work for you?
  • PRO
    KBDesign
    hace 10 años
    I would remove the wall between the dining area and kitchen. Create an L-shaped kitchen and pull the island more into the kitchen and increase the depth of the island. Install an induction cooktop on the island with an island hood above or a downdraft vent. Move the refrigerator to the wall where the range is now and add a wall oven and speed oven (Miele) adjacent to the fridge.
  • michellestrul
    hace 10 años
    I like the idea of only one island not sure what the function of the second smaller one is. Living room and dinning room should be switched around, assuming that you really want a living room. Change the french doors with sliders that have the blinds inbetween the glass. I like the placement of the sink so you have a window. Good triangle set up of the kitchen workspace.
  • hollywaterfall
    hace 10 años
    Are you committed to this floor plan? I would make significant changes to the layout if not. If you are more or less liking the plan then how about turning the island 45 degrees to the left and making it more of a penninsula. Make the back half of the living area a dining room with pocket doors. Move the office to the porch area by the deck. Which can now lead to making the existing office area the living area and having a LARGE open flow if you also shift the laundry and pantry by 90 degrees to the left to butt up against the kitchen. I hope this sounds somewhat clear as I have no idea how to draw it out and post it for you.
  • stryker
    hace 10 años
    Celebrate the view and eliminate redundancy. Do you need two areas to eat, or would it be better just have just one more spacious informal dining room facing the ocean, maybe with some type of sliding or accordian glass doors you could open up for the indoor/outdoor thing. Do you need a living room AND a family room? You didn't ask about this, but I personally hate floor plans where you have to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet, which kind of requires the toilet being placed in its own little closet of shame.
  • alyssalee13
    hace 10 años
    I agree with the previous poster on removing the refrigerator 'leg' and the small island so that you can push your larger work/snack counter back into the kitchen more. It currently looks like there is about 36-42" from your island to the exterior wall/doors, which, when someone is sitting at your island, will not be much room to walk past.

Also, this may be relevant, but it might not. Here in Minnesota our exterior doors swing into the house, is it common where you are to swing out? If not, this will also eat up circulation space near your island. A sliding door would work better, however, they're not as attractive. If money isn't an option (is it ever not?!), I would take a look at a retractable wall system (Nana Wall is one).
  • ghingalls
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I love all your ideas.....Thank You!
  • ghingalls
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yes, in Florida most people have their exterior doors swing out, it is about security.
  • ghingalls
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I forgot to mention that this level of the home is on the 2nd floor to have a view of the ocean so you walk up a flight of stairs then see the pool, turn left, living area and kitchen. So that is why it is so important to me. I don't need two eating areas. I am fine with a island/bar area and then the dining in the living area. I could swap the sitting area with the dining area but I'm not sure. ummm
  • tohsalem
    hace 10 años
    I agree with all of KBD's suggestions except for putting a cooktop in the island. Instead I would move your sink to the island and move your stove where your sink is. Just my personal preference. I use my island (7'x5') as a work /prep space so having my sink there is important to me. The depth allows seating on the opposite side for breakfast or casual meals. Cooking is the last step before you serve your meal. If your cooktop is on the island were you will be eating, unless you stop to clean it up before serving your food, you will be looking at a messy cooktop and dirty pots and pans while you eat. Personally that would drive me crazy. Using it as work/prep allows me time to clean up as things are cooking. I realize by doing this you will loose the window that look out to the small front porch. I'm assuming that since your closet windows are also facing front, the ocean view is off the back of your house, so you would not be losing view by eliminating this window. That would not bother me, but since this is your house my best advice would be "move into this kitchen" and figure out how you work in the kitchen and what placement of things would make you happy and what placements might drive you crazy.
  • PRO
    NanaWall
    hace 10 años
    Hi Ghingalls!

Looks like you've received some great advice and we wish you the best with your project! For a customized operable glass wall system, be sure to check out www.nanawall.com. We have countless style options and solutions to fit any opening. Also, check out our pinterest page, we have numerous images of how a NanaWall system can be used in a kitchen/dining area. Feel free to call us if you have any questions. We can be reached at 1(800) 873-5673! :)

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/nanawallsystems/dining-rooms-kitchens/

Good Luck!

NanaWall Systems is the recognized industry leader trusted by architects, builders, and homeowners, alike to provide operable glass wall systems. Based on a foundation of testing, research, and innovation, NanaWall Systems provides countless style options, unsurpassed durability and superior performance.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.