Houzz Logo Print
newtosuburbia

Help me like my kitchen without a reno!

Leila F
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Apologies if this is pretty much a duplicate - I think I just lost my whole post.
I've recently bought a new house and will close at the end of the month. I got some great advice about the colour of my kitchen earlier in the week (paint a yellow based white) - thanks! The room is a lovely, bright, open space.

Since then I've been doing some thinking. It's not an option for us to redo the (blue!) countertops or any of the tiling, but I was thinking that the Houzz hive mind could come up with a good 'theme' or style that I can hang other decisions off so that there is a cohesive look, rather than just cobbling together stuff in survival mode. I want to love my kitchen as much as I can!

I'm thinking light fixtures (the one above the island is a fluorescent one), perhaps new cabinet pulls (which metal?), and I'd even do a new faucet.

All of the belongings in the pics are the current owners and I need to buy a table and chairs etc, so we can really style the whole thing except for the blue bits.

The tiling is really well done in real life, so I think it makes sense to use that as the jumping off point. What does my flooring say to you?

Comentarios (21)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Replace the florescent with a linear island light, get some stools . paint , live, and cook. There's nothing to "renovate" out of it's pristine and perfectly functional state. Unless you have $$$$$ for counter tops, tile, and cabinet and appliance upgrades. There's a line behind you ready to move right in.

Leila F agradeció a JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    It is a bit quirky, but easy to work with. The Golden walls aren’t my fav. I would do them over and match with white cabinets. A whitewashed pedestal breakfast table and crossback chairs as well as crossback bar stools. Add French accessories on island with yellow lemon stacked in blue and white bowl. Per haps tie orange in from flor with some art that includes impressionist paintings withe those oranges and blues. It has a lot of potential with not much effort. I will look for inspiration photos. Bbl
    Leila F agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • partim
    hace 6 años

I like it very much except for the yellow walls. I know that's the country French look but it looks too much to me.

Leila F agradeció a partim
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

Here are a couple photos of white walls and similar other elements and I think it is fresh and country French without the "over the top" look.

White walls and flooring that is similar to yours.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

White walls and you might be able to do a faux wood finish on the outer sides of the flouescant light box (even though it is ugly it is not simple to remove and you would have some sheetrock to repair as well as repainting ceiling. So if that isn't the budget, I would try a short term fix until you can change that out and put some nice maybe copper drop pendants.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

I butchered "florescent" above! Sorry about that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

White walls and dark island. Might want to consider painting island bases.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

Accent for island countertop! Really nice kitchen to tweak and improve for your own taste. Hope these photos and ideas help! Do you love it more?!

• felizlady
    hace 6 años
    Would you want to paint the walls white? The yellow is a bit bright, but it also highlights the bulkheads to much. The cabinet hardware is very nice. The backsplash is a bit much, but it goes with the counters and the floor tiles. My goal would be to replace the backsplash before any other big changes (except painting the yellow areas the exact color of the cabinets). Ask the seller for the paint information.
    Leila F agradeció a felizlady
  • User
    hace 6 años

This is a good thread.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

For the eating area a table something like this and chairs to go with it.

Cross back stools are available as well.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    hace 6 años

I didn't read the responses- but seriously- what is there not to like? I love the kitchen. It is classic looking to me. The appliances look new and everything appears to be in good repair. It looks like folks have suggested lovely tables and some accessories- enjoy your new house and perish the thought of spending money to have a kitchen like everyone else's.

Leila F agradeció a Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

This is finish for a pedestal table that I was looking for.

• Linda
    hace 6 años
    I like the blue counter tops and I agree, French Country could be your inspiration. Not sure about a yellow-hued cream for the walls. Search Houzz , French country kitchen’
    Leila F agradeció a Linda
  • barncatz
    hace 6 años

I thought Serena and Lily when I saw your space. I like Flo's suggestions, and these type chairs (these are from Serena and Lily) would also work, I think.

I think you're right - I would change the hardware. The current set strikes me as rather chunky and perhaps too contemporary. A warm metal might be fun, something like brass or copper or gold or champaign. Or glass knobs for the uppers. I also think the faucet is too contemporary and so kind of jarring.

It's hard for me to tell but I'd mull over removing the cabinet to the right of the window and that little desk and chair. And I'd definitely spring for wonderful lights. Your kitchen has a lot going for it. Congratulations on your new home!

Leila F agradeció a barncatz
  • Leila F
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Whoa! Thanks everyone. I didn't think people would like it so much since it is definitely not at all contemporary. I absolutely get that they are going for the French provencale look but it's just a little...off in my opinion. The yellow is a bit too saturated. As you mentioned, Barncatz, the hardware and faucet is just a bit too contemporary for the style. Thanks also for the fab table suggestions. I'll take a look around.

• User
    hace 6 años

I love the yellow. It seems like such a cozy, warm space. Classic!

The flooring is really nice too.

• jhmarie
    hace 6 años

I love French Country - just what I thought when I saw it. I probably would paint the walls - maybe a cream similar to the background color of the decorative tiles. You might look at the Kohler Artifacts faucet - I don't have it but I hear a lot of good things about it.

• User
    hace 6 años

You're spot on about the yellow being too saturated....as it is now, it's shouting FRENCH PROVINCIAL!!! as if we're all too stupid to get it :)....I would do a beautiful barely-there shade of yellow (but then, I like yellow)...Stay away from the obvious, here, but (as you already know) stay away from contemporary....

We had the fluorescent light box and we took it down, easily. BUT you have to cross your fingers that there is a beam in a convenient place. And that you don't have textured ceilings....If you do, as we also do, cross your fingers that they textured the ceiling before installing the light (easy to do as the covers just slide out and you'll be able to see). If not, I would leave it...

All in all, I would say it depends on whether you're a bold person who will come to adore the tiles and counter, or if you want a gray kitchen with a white subway tile backsplash. If you're the latter, you will never come around to that tile.

I'm excited to see how you do and congratulations on your new home!!

Leila F agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Martine Paquin Design
    hace 6 años

I'd remove the backsplash and replace with something simpler and monochrome but with sophisticated textured or crackled tile. Remove yellow paint and replace with a cream that brings light but still contract with the cabinets. Remove all the modern furniture and midcentury inspired and with the kitchen style. Embrace it , don't fight it. Give some glory to the floor by choosing simple materials and colors around it. Best, even, Hire a designer who will best, help you. Good luck.

Leila F agradeció a Martine Paquin Design
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.