Houzz Logo Print
ace1975

How to lighten up my kitchen?

Christy Jones
hace 6 años

When we moved into our house, the previous owner's had recently renovated the kitchen. They did a great job, but the colors are not my style AT ALL! I don't want to spend a fortune, so I'm trying to decide if we should paint the cabinets a light gray or white OR replace the countertops & backsplash with marble or something similar. I'm worried about painting the cabinets because they're high quality, beautiful wood and I don't want them to look cheap. What would you do??

Comentarios (12)

• User
    hace 6 años

I'll gladly take that kitchen off your hands, I think it's beautiful! I can see how it might not be your style if you have more modern tastes though. Do you have any inspiration pics to share? What would your budget be?

• PRO
    Niche Interiors
    hace 6 años

What a great space! I see why you want to lighten up the kitchen. I wouldn't be afraid to paint the cabinets, maybe a wispy dove gray and update the backsplash to something white and transitional. If it's in the budget, I'd swap out the countertops to match the new color palette as well. You could even go darker on the countertops to create contrast. New pendant lights are also an easy way to freshen up a kitchen. See below for some inspiration images. Good luck!

• rantontoo
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

If you are willing to replace the countertop and backsplash, I would start there. I think the counter needs to tie together the color of the island and the wood cabs. Maybe something like a “small” patterned Alaskan White with a light backsplash; this is a leathered Alaskan White slab that I considered:

I would also consider a one level island if replacing counters.

• apple_pie_order
    hace 6 años

Change the lighting. What you have is a bunch of cans that point down and three pendants that point down. You need some that point sideways to illuminate the cabinets ("wall washers"). Or you can add a central light fixture that has three or four bulbs with the equivalent of 60-watt incandescent bulbs. Bring in a bright floor lamp to try out the effects of more light.

Ask a local lighting shop with a designer on staff or hire a lighting designer.

• shirlpp
    hace 6 años

I'd follow Ethan Allen's advice for the countertops and backsplash. I'd stain or paint that island because it is very stark against the darker cabinets.

• beth09
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Please don't paint the cabinets, they're beautiful. :) I'd go with one of the picks from Ethan Allen, changing the counter and BS (I'd go with walnut BB on the island). In fact the 3rd pic down is one of my inspiration pics. Gorgeous!! Also, is there under cabinet lighting?

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    hace 6 años

We agree on not painting the cabinets. you never know how long the white shaker cabinets and gray paint will last...it was just a couple of years ago that the vanilla cabinets with glaze were in style. If you wan to spruce up the look change the counters, back splash, repaint the walls, and update the lighting. You can also change the stool style and you are set....also if you can save the existing granite you can re-use it on an outdoor kitchen, laundry, or another bathroom cabinet that needs a granite top.....Good luck!!

• er612
    hace 6 años

I would make the island one level. Definitely, do not paint the cabinets.

• PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    hace 6 años
    another vote for counters and backsplash.
  • simstress
    hace 6 años
    Definitely change countertops, backsplash, lighting. The pendants feel farmhouse while the cabinetry is traditional/transitional. The island is pretty white... consider a softer white. If you redo the countertops, consider a single level and losing the corbels -- there are ways to do hidden support. HTH.
  • PRO
    Chi Renovation & Design
    hace 6 años

Change out the countertops, backsplash, and add in under cabinet lighting. Also consider getting new pendant lights. Once you do all of that your kitchen will be much brighter.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.