Houzz Logo Print
angela_smith7792

Regretting oil rubbed bronze fixtures with grey vanity

Angela Smith
hace 6 años
We are building new construction and had to pick out our interior selections months ago. We saw samples together, but now we are close to being done and the finished products are being installed. Our master bath has a light, warm gray vanity and the floors are LVP and a medium/dark gray with gray grout. We selected oil rubbed bronze fixtures – light, faucets, plumbing. When selecting cabinet hardware this week, I tried a few ORB fixtures up against the grey vanity and I just didn't love it. It is too late to change out anything from the builder and everything has been ordered and is being delivered/installed this week.

I don't love the lighting fixtures, and was planning on changing them out anyway. I am wondering if I should just go with polished chrome or brushed nickel hardware now?? And live with the mismatched finishes for a while until I could change out at least the faucets and lighting to chrome/nickel? Or maybe I just need different cabinet pulls. The countertop is cultured marble and will be a grey-on-white finish.

Comentarios (20)

• Angela Smith
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Close ups
  • PRO
    Premier Cabinets of Virginia, LLC
    hace 6 años

Have you tried asking the builder if you can change? What about if he can use these on another build? Maybe he could keep what can't be cancelled, give you an allowance, and if you make up the difference you can go out and purchase what you want yourself. These items may be small change to the builder, and he might see the value in a satisfied customer.

• Angela Smith
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    The fixtures are literally sitting in the house waiting to be installed. He will not take them back. We would have to eat the cost and still buy new ones.
  • cerileen
    hace 6 años

Can you make a stink? What if you handle the return yourself?

• PRO
    Patricia Justice Designs, LLC
    hace 6 años

The floor has warm tones. You could at least give them a try. Or try a few on and see. What is the "look" you are going for? Farmhouse? A little more upscale?

• Angela Smith
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I suppose we could make a stink, but we have made several other stinks for things that are much more important, so I am not going to make a mountain out of a mole hill with this one.

Style is a little more upscale than farmhouse. The rest of the house is transitional, White shaker cabinets, SW Collonade Gray walls. Clean lines. The faucet is the most "angular" thing in the whole house.
  • weluvdisney
    hace 6 años
    I think they tie in with the floor perfectly. I love the look :)
  • Nidnay
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

If it was me, and I REALLY didn’t like it, I would eat the cost and pay for the changes. Even though the ORB looks fine, it’s apparently not the look you were going for. It really doesn’t matter how great it looks to someone else. If you don’t like it, you don’t like it.
    You could always get new light fixtures later and use the ones they are ready to install temporarily (there are a gazillion gorgeous fixtures out there), but the plumbing (especially the shower fixtures) have specific valves in the wall that are specific to your manufacturer. You cant just change them out later with a different brand (like going from Moen to Kohler)....each brand uses their own valves. So better to do that now and pick from their selections in the finish you want. As for cabinet hardware, if you wanted to change it later, I would ask them NOT to install it now so you don’t have to worry about getting hardware with the same center to center dimensions (you don’t want to have to be filling in holes in your brand new cabinets).

• Angela Smith
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks, all. That's the thing… I don't know if I don't like it!! Ha! I think I just have "hardware envy" as I am seeing all of these gorgeous polished nickel cabinet pulls and I'm wishing that I would've gone with that finish for our bathroom. We have ORB fixtures everywhere in the house so I think I'm just wishing I would've done something differently in at least one of the rooms. If your unbiased eyes think that ORB with our cabinets and floors will look nice, I think I will like them too. More than anything, I think I'm just second-guessing myself.
  • A L
    hace 6 años
    I would recommend you wait until the counters and all the tile is in. We are doing a new build too, and when I first saw the listello in our shower and around our tub I hated it and almost convinced our builder to let us pay extra to have it taken out and put one we were going to purchase on our own in. However, once they finished the grout, cleaned it up, and installed the counters I absolutely loved it and was so glad we decided to wait. I think it can be really hard to decide if you like some of the details like hardware or accent tile until you see it all put together. It won't be that costly to change them out later if you still decide you want a brushed or polished nickel. Good luck...I know how stressful the new construction process can be. It is all worth it in the end though!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

nidnay brought up very good points.

what if you asked the builder if you handled all the return? can he give u the paperwork and you'll do it?

are the holes for the faucets already drilled? If you will be getting a new faucet, consider doing a wide spread one. for a large vanity like yours, it's a better choice and they're easier to keep clean.

these are a 8" wide spread. either would work. (the vanity light in the pic below is horrid,,,ignore that look!)

If you have plans to do this option, tell them now before they make the hole in your countertop.

you could also do crystal knobs if you want some a bit different.

here is one where they mixed finishes. orb hardware

here too

it may be similar to these handles...which run about 30 bucks. each.

• User
    hace 6 años

Yes to the widespread Beth H. Big difference

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años

I would NOT screw any hardware to ANY cabinet until I had selected what I like. Any handyman can screw on hardware. Use a masking tape "pull" attached to the inside of doors and drawers until you select what you like. It will not affect closing on the house. Get the faucet taken care of now.....even if it means you eat the original selection.

• Angela Smith
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Beth H - any idea on the manufacturer or model of that nickel/bronze pull? I love it!

• Kath
    hace 6 años
    Hardware colors seem to be trendy. The trends obviously change. Pick what you like, not what is trendy.
  • Jennifer Wilton
    hace 6 años
    If you can't return and really want something different, consider selling what you have. Facebook Marketplace is a decent place to start. You may be able to recoup 50-75%ish of what you spent, which is better than eating the whole cost.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

Angela....yes.. here.....I warned you of the price! they come in diff sizes. Luckily, you only need a few

https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/collections/harlow-drawer-pull-3/products/55562583d559303caf00125f

• Banjo Hughes
    hace 6 años
    LOVE the shower. Wow.
  • Jeffrey Baker
    el último año

@Angela Smith I know it's been awhile but do you remember the manufacturer and color of that LVP flooring? Please let me know jbakerphoto@msn.com.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.