Houzz Logo Print
mummymaruk

Kitchen ceiling, white or new plaster colour?

mummymaruk
hace 6 años
Hi everyone, plasterer left a couple of hours ago, I was intending to paint it white but I'm actually quite liking the colour as it is, what do you think? I've bought a tin of Dulux White Cotton for the walls (very similar colour to the cabinets) so if you think it's a good idea which colour would you recommend for the ceiling? The kitchen was newly done when I moved in, a shame really, it's a nice kitchen but I would have chosen something different and I've gone for black and white for the rest of the house so it doesn't really 'flow' through from the hallway and lounge, do you think that matters? All advice/reassurance gratefully received, thanks in advance!

Comentarios (15)

• honeypoppet
    hace 6 años

Hi,

If you want to leave the ceiling as it is then you'll have to at least seal it, although I'm not totally sure that in a kitchen its a very good idea to leave it due to steam and moisture from cooking etc?

Alternatively you can find paints that are a similar colour to fresh plaster - just bear in mind that painting a ceiling (other than white) does usually make the room feel smaller and darker.

Hope this helps!

• Daisy England
    hace 6 años
    For me a ceiling has to be white.
  • mummymaruk
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you both, yes you're right, white probably would look brighter, it's quite a dark room anyway, it just looked a bit cosier with the fresh plaster colour! (Looks awful now it's going darker) white it is! Thanks again xxx
  • PRO
    Kluk Construction Ltd
    hace 6 años

You have to remember that plaster can dry up to 7 days and it will change colour over drying period. Wet plaster may look nice, but when is fully dry is not so attractive. To keep it in nice shade it would need to be cover by varnish or similar transparent seal. However over time I would say white is more reasonable as plaster may feel dark over time.

• mummymaruk
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thank you, I'll have to be patient and be sure to let it dry thoroughly xxx
  • Claire Nicholson
    hace 6 años
    Why don't you look at a warmer white for the ceiling if you felt it was cosier in the plaster colour.

Ceilings don't have to be bright, stark white. We have used Shadow White from F&B on recommendation and it's a much warmer colour than bright white and really like it.

Best wishes

Claire
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 6 años

I have never painted a ceiling white. Only ever used off white such as Timeless by Dulux. In fact I have never used pure white paint on anything, even woodwork. Am I alone........? Incidentally, this is interesting.

Hollywood Hills · Más información

• A S
    hace 6 años
    We have always used white for woodwork and ceilings, I think it gives a crisp finishing and makes the room loom bright and airy; sort of wakes you up on a morning, although have used colour on wooden panelling.

The one time we decided to break the white rule and go for an off white on ceiling and skirting, the room looked dreary, and dark. We immediately bought a tub of white and changed. Nonetheless, I have seen great examples of different coloured ceilings and they do look ambitious.

I prefer white, others prefer colour, it's purely personal preference and how bold you want to go...I prefer to stay neutral and go.bold with accessories.
  • minnie101
    hace 6 años

Why don't you consider a setting plaster colour for the walls and do the ceiling white? Farrow and ball do the same called colour and also dead salmon as pictured. I wouldn't normally suggest the same accent colour throughout but you could add a runner in the hall and some blush/Rose would work well in the living room for cushions, throw or a complementary colour. I'm not averse to a colour on the ceiling either and the colour of setting plaster is beautiful!

• mummymaruk
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    That's a really good idea, thank you Claire, I've bought white cotton for the walls so I could try that on the ceiling too, it's not a massive room so if it doesn't work I could easily repaint. Colourhappy, I know many people don't like pure white, my daughter thinks it's a bit clinical on the walls in my living room, but after years of creams, beiges etc in my previous home I wanted to try it and I've found I really like it! I've found that at certain times of the day it looks great and at others not so good, my pictures show up well against it and I find it quite restful and calm. It looks best of all on a grey, winter's afternoon when the log burner, candles and lamps are lit so I'm going to stick with it until I get fed up. As your name is Colourhappy mine should be Colourshy so I would only replace it with another neutral, although the living room you showed looked nice (for someone else!) Thanks everyone, for your interest and advice, it's good that we all like different things, makes us unique! Xxx
  • Ines Tenente
    hace 6 años
    Hi! great discussion! I am also lookibg forward to replastering and painting my new home. Any advice and budget approximate for replastering throughout a typical not extended 3bd semi? Manchester UK area. thanks in advance!
  • minnie101
    hace 6 años

Hi. You can try using this calculator. I'd get 3 quotes anyway

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/costs/plastering-cost-calculator.php#axzz4qTE01fWu

• PRO
    Atlantis rugs
    hace 6 años

I think a rug in each area will give an amazing finishing to your project

• Ines Tenente
    hace 6 años
    thanks @minnie101!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.