Houzz Logo Print
ashleep423

What would you do with this kitchen?

Ashlee Charlebois
hace 6 años

Title says it all. Someone made a comment that it was really woody and now it's all I see. Would you paint the cabinets? Add a backsplash? If so what kind? I'd prefer to not change flooring.

Comentarios (52)

• User
    hace 6 años

Your comment "now it's all I see" has me thinking you did not originally mind the wood look. If so, then there is nothing wrong with that. People mean well when they say things, but it is not always helpful.

I think painting the cabinets could be a very nice change, but if you don't want to paint them you could update the space quite easily with some minor and inexpensive fixes. The usual suspects: new door hardware, a colorful rug under the sink, a coat of paint on the walls and soffit, a new valence or none at all and a few fun accessories. Crown molding adding to the top of the soffit could be a bit more expensive, but doable. Adding some new lighting (we don't see a ceiling fixture, but I assume an older one is there) could be both functional and pretty.

If you do decide to paint the cabinets one day, a two-tone look -- one color on the bottom cabs and another on the top -- could be interesting here. You could go all out and get new counters and backsplash, etc. But I am going to assume you are buying this home and you will also get advice that sometimes waiting until you lived in the home a while is always a safer bet than doing something drastic and expensive.

• lazy_gardens
    hace 6 años

The valance has to go!

You have a good working layout, nice floor and nice cabinets ... it's not a show-stopping design, but then very few are.

I would paint the walls, maybe swap out the can light for something more interesting. If I felt REALLY ambitious, perhaps replace a couple of upper doors with glass and paint the inside of the cabinets.

And add a rolling work island in a bright color.

• Conversaciones relacionadas

Help with wall art!

Q

(12) comentarios
    Hola MONICA: Gracias por explicarte. Si no te obstinas por poner fotos tuyas variadas y pequeñás, puedes encargar un vinilo autadhesivo, con una imagen de la más alta definición, que haga tu instrumento, o comprar alguna en un banco de imágenes. Procuras que la parte alta izquierda sea lo más neutra posible y pegas la imagen sobre el paramento completo, incluso sobre el frente del split. El resto, puedes hasta pintarlo a spray del color que requiera, para camuflarse mejor.
    ...Ver más

What ducting is the best for a kitchen?

Q

(0) comentarios
    The choice of ducting depends on the type of configuration required in your kitchen. We recommend: - Flexible ducting for direct venting - Rigid ducting in cases of a decrease in cross-section, involving one or more curves. In this case, the ducting will also decrease the noise generally created by extendable corrugated tubing. What do you think?
    ...Ver más

What to consider to choose the size and power of my range hood?

Q

(0) comentarios
    There are at least 3 things you need to consider when you are deciding the size and power your range hood needs: - The volume of your kitchen: how wide is it? - Kind of cooktop: is it electric or does it works with gas? is it professional? - The position of your kitchen hood: how close is it to the cooktop? Do you have any other tips for choosing the size and power for your range hood?
    ...Ver más

What is CFM?

Q

(11) comentarios
    Muchas gracias por contestarme a las dos, si me decanto por el agua marina mejor ké el gris, no, no voy a poner nada en esa pared, porque, es ké no Le puedo hacer una foto a la habitación entera, porque la cocina está metida, dentro del salón y con el sofá pues nos pasamos un pokitin de grande y se come el salón y los muebles de la cocina son enteros hasta el techo, para ké me crupier an más cosas y el mueble de TV me lo están haciendo a medida y lo ké puedo lo pongo hasta el techo, porque el espacio no me sobra, así ké dejando esa pared sin nada, es como ké kita la pesadez...
    ...Ver más
  • eam44
    hace 6 años

Yes to all the above, but how much money do you want to spend on it?

After watching several hours of DIY network, my nephew told me that he thought their kitchen (1920's home with a gorgeous kitchen and butler's pantry) could benefit from the removal of a wall and the addition of an island (don't get me started). I said, yeah, you know what else you can do for the same amount of money? Pay for a year of your college tuition.

Every kitchen can be "improved," but think about the cost in money and time. It is also OK to just buy a rug, loose the curtains, and call it a day.

• User
    hace 6 años

I do think the layout is pretty good from what I see.

Ashlee, do you have any more pics to share of the space?

• shonoo
    hace 6 años

Can you remove the drop ceiling thing that sits between the tops of the cabinet and the actual ceiling. Leaving that space open will make it seem taller.

I did not notice any lights above the range. That would be a good addition.

Move the microwave from over the range to a counter ?

• PRO
    Preferred Designing Services
    hace 6 años

There is too much wood in the kitchen. I would change the flooring to vinyl tile (glue type), waterproof, warm on the feet, lasts for years, less breakage to floor and dishes than porcelain tile. With a backsplash that compliments the tile on the floor. Add led lights under the counter and go with a artificial looking stone counter top.

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

I'll answer the questiion very honestly-was it me, I wouldn't lift a finger, except for taking a curtain off..:) and maybe putting a shade there or something

but I'd spend on kitchen towels, ceramics, and other stuff, and put a plant there, and generally would treat it as a room that's as cozy as it is functional

(granted everyone and their "cozy". it's all subjective)

if I'd be inclined to do bigger changes-I might be looking for hardware but it wouldn't be to modernize..I'd look just for something that I'd love because it's a tad different.

If I'd be very energetic and determined I'd check with a cabinet makes/glass store how much hassle and money would be to make some doors glass front..since I adore glass front doors..more light! opportunity to show off my mugs! lol

I might change the color on the walls, but only after I 'd consider whether I can see other walls from the kitchen, and what I'm doing with these, and whether the existing color makes me happy enough, or I really would like a change. But not because the current color doesn't work, since it does.

A new rug on the floor would bring your desired contrast, if you like rugs enough.

That's my honest answer.

yes you can paint the cabinets, you can add backsplash..the question was "would you do that?" no honestly I wouldn't lol.

• DrB477
    hace 6 años

Losing the curtain and painting the walls would go a long way for only a few bucks. I would suggest a blue-grey or green-grey. I'd start there.

If I'm seeing correctly, you have a little 3" or so piece of countertop as a backsplash, generally you don't want that and a backsplash.

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

-it's already a stone countertop

why to change a stone to artificial looking stone?

-why to change the floors if the OP mentioned she'd prefer not to? It migh be an open plan too and thus a very expensive/unnesessary change. my guess would be this kitchen is not just stuck in nowhere..it belongs to the house, is part of some general scheme we've no idea about yet. how it relates to it? I don't know. I haven't seen the plan. what I hear from the OP-she likes the floor, and it is a nice hardwood floor indeed.

-the soffit is there for a very good reason..cabs that don't reach the ceiling often look awkward.

you might as well remodel the whole kitchen. you can of course, but not because someone mentioned that it's really woody. This big financial decison that'd cause disruption to family routine and whatnot, should be based on many considerations and homeowner's readiness and wish for a big change.

• cheri127
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I agree with those who said paint and a pretty rug in front of the sink. We have wood cabinets and a wood floor. The 8 ft runner in front of the sink does a nice job of adding contrast.

• jhmarie
    hace 6 años

If this was my kitchen I would change the microwave, move it to the counter and put in a vent hood, because I am short and I couldn't really use it up that high, which is not a problem if you can reach it:)

I have a somewhat similar kitchen and recently did new counters, backsplash and farm sink. I would assess the durability and overall shape of your cabinets before doing something expensive. My cabinets were in fine shape, so I felt comfortable with doing the refresh. Backsplash is the last thing to be done (except wall color) in a kitchen, so if you are thinking about new counters down the road, hold off on a backsplash. I see nothing wrong with your counters (I am not sure of the material) - just don't want you to do things out of order and end up wasting money. A painted backsplash as you have is just fine, but if you want something inexpensive and easily removed, the paintable textured beadboard wallpaper is an idea if that is your decor style.

My kitchen:

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~93784356[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~93784356)

Here is an example of the beadboard wallpaper:

My island is not built in and is an Amish piece. The top is 36 x 52". You could add something similar if you need more counter space, but to work comfortably in your kitchen you need about 42" between island and sink and island and range and 36" between island and other walls - if they are not major walkways - so you need to do some math. I did cheat on mine. It is a little less than 42" between island and range and closer to the pie safe than 36", but I can open the pie-safe door and access it with no problem.

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~93784291[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~93784291)

• Bunny
    hace 6 años

I'm not that troubled by your valance. I have one myself, a few actually that I change when the mood strikes, mainly because my window has no trim and looks bare without something. Your window looks like it's got trim, so you might see how you like it without a valance.

A colorful rug would look great in your kitchen. I agree with the suggestion to change your cabinet hardware. These changes can be done on a tight budget.

• H202
    hace 6 años

definitely get rid of the curtain. The cabs are good enough. I might swap out the cabinet hardware for something black (rubbed bronze) and more modern. I agree with the painting. The oak cabs and beige wall are very 2004 together. Painting with a more current color would update the whole look of the kitchen.

• sheloveslayouts
    hace 6 años

I think it's a great kitchen and I don't think I'd change a thing. If you want more contrast between cabinets and floor someday, perhaps gel staining the cabinets would be a good option.

Here's an example: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3061990/finished-kitchen-with-gel-stain

I have friends who painted their cabinets white themselves and I just don't think it's the best idea for the long term. In their case it pretty much guaranteed their need for new cabinets a few years later.

• zmith
    hace 6 años

What's wrong with the valance? I'd live with it for a while and wait for the kitchen to tell you what it needs.

• User
    hace 6 años

I think a gel stain would be good here as well. It would resemble the pic Cheri posted.

If the OP does nothing at all except her own decorating touches, this would still be a nice kitchen to me. It seems like the kind of kitchen that could go lots of great ways.

Benji, what did your friends do wrong when they painted their cabinets? There seems to be so many threads and blogs that show a successful job. Now, I know it is all in the prep but did they not do that?

To me, even gel staining requires the right prep and key ingredient -- patience!

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

nothing's really wrong with the valance, except for the fact that the pic looks like the listing pic, thus not the valance the OP picked for herself?

if Ashlee picked the valance/likes it very much-then nothing's wrong

If she doesn't-it's always nice to pick your own fabrics

doesn't seem to be exactly the kitchen's style(the valance) but then we didn't see the whole house so hard to say

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

(gel staining requires a lot of patience I agree..and fine motor skills..which I don't possess for example..let's say my gel staining looked very different from our handyman's gel staining. And I seemingly repeated each move of his, I learned by looking at how he does it first..didn't even come close to his result. Mine, was an improvement. His, looked like new)

• caligirl5
    hace 6 años

I like it! I agree on a rug, maybe even more like an area rug than a sink rug. Curious if the flooring hardwood or laminate? Either way, I wouldn't consider changing the floor or countertops.

Sonoma / Sea Ranch Redux · Más información

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    hace 6 años

I would just like to add my voice to the leave it alone contingent. The kitchen is fine. Style it better. Save money. Treat yourself to a really nice dinner.

• sheloveslayouts
    hace 6 años

Congratulations on your new home! Exciting times.

• jill302
    hace 6 años

For me I would add a rug and maybe some art, giving some the room some color besides the brown wood, My last kitchen had wood cabinets and floors, I was very happy with it. I also had a back splash but it was neutral and a colored paint but they are not necessary, it was just the look I wanted. Another thing I did was to change out some of the cabinets to be glass front and use for those for display of some colorful dishes. I can not see your full kitchen so I do not know if this is something that would be appropriate for this kitchen but it is another thing you might consider.

• User
    hace 6 años

One last suggestion for making the cabinets shine -- Howard's Restore a Finish. It adds a nice luster to dry wood and then followed by their Wax and Feed. That is what I did to my oak cabinets and it really make them pop nicely. Have to do it about once a year.

However, I learned never to put a product such as Pledge or other silicon cleaners on furniture or cabinets. Those can seep deep into the wood and if you ever want to paint/re-stain in the future, it may cause fish eye.

Congratulations on your home!

• suzanne_sl
    hace 6 años

I too wouldn't be in a big hurry to do anything major to this kitchen. Maybe paint if you like, but it looks to be a very usable kitchen as is. It does look like a lot of wood, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Personally, I like wood.

I'd second the Restore A Finish suggestion if you think the cabinets need some love. I've used it on multiple projects with very satisfactory results. I recently used it on my sister's oh-so-sad bathroom cabinets. For a couple of hours of easy work (wipe on, wipe off), it bought her another couple of years before she has no recourse but to replace them. [Hers are delaminating in a couple of places.] Your cabs are in much better shape, so it would just make them look spiffier than they already are.

Before:

After:

Products:

• suz
    hace 6 años

My kitchen is very similar, but without the SS appliances! I could not justify changing the cabinets, so I recently added quartz counter tops, back splash, new hardware and sink. I think the back splash helps break up all the wood and adds some visual interest.

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

susanne, impressive results with restore-a-finish! I tried it first..in my case didn't work at all..leaving aside me being really two-left-handed lol..maybe depends on the original finish too? in any case, very impressive job

suz, love your kitchen

this window of yours with its view-looks like a live painting..:)

• jhmarie
    hace 6 años

suz- pretty refresh! Mine is similar (in my "my pics" idea book). What countertop did you use as my mom with similar cabinets is thinking of new counters too and want to offer her some ideas.

• suz
    hace 6 años

Thanks! I am happy with the way it turned out. We have a really bright kitchen!

The counter top is Q quartz Gray Lagoon. It is gray and brown. I had a really hard time finding a quartz that would be fairly light, would have some brown tones to tie with the cabinets and was not too busy with all the oak grain. I really love the oil rubbed bronze cabinet pulls and faucet with both the cabinets and quartz.

• ILoveRed
    hace 6 años

Cheri127...what is your countertop please?

sorry to barge in.

• ILoveRed
    hace 6 años

Ashley...it's hard to tell from just the one picture.

- update window treatment

-new hardware

-backsplash

if this is a new house (for you), Live with it for awhile before you decide to do anything.

• Angela Zuill
    hace 6 años

I think a large(ish) rug would make a huge difference! And since it's a kitchen maybe look at an indoor/outdoor type so you can take out and spray off as needed! And then accessorize with cute dish towels and a couple of plants! Cute kitchen!

• Ashlee Charlebois
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

So I've realized how awfully indecisive I am, so I'm back with more questions. I'm trying to play around with paint colors and I'm seriously stuck between 4. I can get samples of course but I like hearing opinions of those who are way more educated about this kind of stuff.

And then I'm really loving this rug, I'm thinking the grey will contrast enough against the dark brown flooring and pair well with the colors I'm looking at.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    hace 6 años

I like the first color --it is the darkest and will provide more contrast with the wood. I would look for a rug that contains the blue/green color but if you like the one you've pictured, I would consider black hardware to tie it into your color scheme.

• sheloveslayouts
    hace 6 años

Why green? I there green in the countertop?

• Ashlee Charlebois
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    No, countertops are black and grey. Why, what color would you recommend?
  • sheloveslayouts
    hace 6 años

This is my favorite honey oak kitchen wall solution. It might not be to everyone's taste, but I just love it; maybe because blue is my favorite color. I like how the walls recede and the cabinets become the feature.

Details here: http://www.thekitchn.com/this-is-how-to-deal-with-honey-oak-cabinets-paint-the-walls-midnight-blue-kitchen-spotlight-201548

• just_janni
    hace 6 años

Is it already a stone countertop? it looks like a once piece counter / BS formed formica. If so - I'd go with a quartz and a new funky lighter backsplash like was pictured above and some paint. Kitchen has good bones!

• User
    hace 6 años

Ashlee, did you tell whoever told you that it is "too woody", that many people here on the Houzz forum think you have a pretty good kitchen?

• isabel98
    hace 6 años

the greens you have posted make the cabinets look more "wood orange" and doesn't relate to counter. pick a grey in the counter and go from there. a rug could be the piece that pulls it together. looks great already!

• Ashlee Charlebois
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you everyone for the input.

The concern I have with painting the kitchen grey, is we are painting an accent wall in our living room charcoal grey, and we have a light grey couch. And since it's open concept, I don't want to overwhelm the house with grey.

• Ashlee Charlebois
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I mean don't get me wrong, grey is my favorite color and I'd love it everywhere, but I still don't want to over-do it.

• jhmarie
    hace 6 años

Your are correct to be concerned with over doing the gray. Cool grays and warm wood tones do not bring out the best in each other. I haven't even seen a dark gray in a design pic in many months, though I still see a lot of barely there grays. I'm seeing a lot of cream. I am definitely seeing a move away from the "black and white photo" look.

Gray is not that popular were I live due in part to cloudy gray winter days.

While cabinets like yours and mine are not going to be "trendy" any time soon (or perhaps ever) the lighter, warmer tone woods are coming back - I saw some in the Parade Homes recently. This pic from 2016 season of This Old House is a good example:

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

I love this post nosoccermom linked to. One of the best on the topic. I have it saved too.

nothing wrong with using a lot of a color you love..just bring some variation to it, add to it, deepen it, contradict it a bit, add texture, layers, metallic touches, plants..

(says someone who really loves purple lol. and I read it's a faux pas to mix purples like that. Well..you'll usually know where to stop. instinctively. I think)

I would go with warmer gray..if choosing gray in your case..actually I'd draw a gray from your countertop, as suggested earlier..shade deeper or shade lighter. but approximately the same degree of warmness. Not that I can see your counter very well...

Many grays are fabulous. Well to me most colors are; it's how one uses them. And so many colors look great next to them. They can be amazing background.

I tink when one one wants to contrast the wood cool gray can be used. I do agree though would brobably work better with darker, more chocolate brown wood tones. Or cooler blond ones.

If choosing blues or greens-I'd go with deeper versions..mid-range? Maybe grayish green? The main thing though - It should work with your countertop very well. Paint is most difficult to choose when working with stone. wood is easier. Why-I've no idea. Yet.

of course one needs to see them all first in the space. will be different from digital representation, from a chip, from a sample while still in the can..you'll know only when you put it on the wall. two layers. preferably move it around too if on paper/paint samples in different corners. since different parts of kitchen get different light..

(btw I love off whites and creams and taupes too. a lot. but I hear from you preference for cooler tones?..so it should be some paint that'll work with your givens and allow you your loves. )

I love your thinking whatever decision you'll arrive to..you're considering all things together ..that's a pretty sure road to success. The details, you'll figure them out..the concept, the intention is one great thing to have. Then you develop it.

as you can say I'm not overconcerned with what's popular..I don't believe in some universal popular. The world is too vast a place, and this country is too huge not to take into account different regions, climates, lights, historical context etcetera.

ah..and I think colors should flatter people in the house too lol. we all have our affinities, and usually for a reason. or for many reasons.

ok..shutting up for now. good luck, and I hope you'll share with us your progress. it's a good kitchen. aha, it is.

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

jnmarie totally agree about lighter wood coming back. see it for about a year already, maybe more. When you start seeing it in magazines it's a pretty good indicator

that's good that black and white move away?(if they do..i don't think so, personally. I think they are always there, to some extent or other)..since i just started being into them lol. it's very exciting to explore things on your own pace sometimes.

• Ashlee Charlebois
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    My husband dropped a bomb tonight that he wants to paint the cabinets grey and do a white tile brick backsplash which is more than what I was hoping to do, lol. we will see. Hopefully in a few weeks we'll hash out a plan and I'll have some after photos to share.
  • jhmarie
    hace 6 años

My hope would be a movement to what one likes without feeling that there will be some kind of judgement about it:) It can be difficult to mix older surfaces with newer ones, especially when the newer is based on a totally different color pallet. The older warm toned cabinets work well with creams, beiges, blues and green - and the blues and greens with gray undertones also work - a point where the new and the old can come together.

The "cool"color pallet is more in style right now, and it works great with whites and darker cabinets, but often does not show off older warm surfaces at their best. Light maple works with grays, but most other warm woods struggle with cool grays. It is not so much that they clash, but as I mentioned - they don't bring out the best in each other.

I've mentioned before in other post that I think location can play a role too. Areas with lots of sun and heat will tend more towards cool interiors, but areas with long periods of cold, snow and gray skies may tend more towards warm interiors. Add in personal preference and there should be all sorts of styles.

I enjoy color, so I don't go for the pic of the kitchen with a vase of pink peonies on the island just so the viewer realizes that it is not a black and white photo. However, if that is someone's preferred style - fine with me:)

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

"My hope would be a movement to what one likes without feeling that there will be some kind of judgement about it:) "-very true. actually i can't wrap my mind about why it's not like that in the first place. or maybe it is, it's just a lot of external noise (media? I don't know) that inteferes with it. so it seems like it's not.

I went for contrast in a lot of areas in our new place-so I paired warm teak with warm gray tile and paint. And warm brown terracotta. I love it. But there, I was able to choose all the materials myself, so I had more control from the beginning.

where the wood was what it was (say a vanity from Craigslist) and the tile was this older quazi-Meditteranean tile..I spent years in Meditteranean, so I'm kinda sensitive to it feeling a bit fake..)-yes, I found myself much more locked into warmer tones. Which I also love. Well usually I prefer everything warmer. I have lots of cool colors but they are warm cool colors so to say.

I also enjoy color..the more I live the more colors I enjoy..so I don't give up on old loves I add new ones bit by bit..I also love more and more styles(sigh)..it's a bit of a challenge to find the right balance inside one house..I move pretty slowly because of that. But makes the process very interesting.

• aprilneverends
    hace 6 años

(did I promise to shut up? ok lets say I expressed some hope I would. lol)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.