Houzz Logo Print
kateburt

Do you have rules for keeping your home clean?

Kate Burt
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

We all have our own ways we like to do things. What are yours when it comes to keeping your home clean? Share your personal mantras: do you believe in cleaning your home in a particular order? Have you got a code of use for your various kitchen tea-towels? Or a particular way you like the washing-up to be done? Shoes on or shoes off? And what about bags on dining tables... is that a thing for you? Tell all!

Comentarios (28)

• Kate Burt
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

...for example, we've just had an office discussion about having one cloth per cleaning product, and tying them around the neck of the product bottle to make sure they don't get mixed up. What do you think?

• PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

Get a wife with O.C.D...................leave for work and come home to everything perfect!

Dinner is at 6 and don't be late..........it doesn't go down well.

• Sonia
    hace 6 años
    Me and my other half have set tasks. I cook, he washes up and cleans up kitchen. I clean the downstairs and he does upstairs. I plant, weed and tidy garden and he does the heavy pruning and sweeping up. He puts out the bins, I do all the paperwork - pay bills, check bank account etc. It's a good balance that works well for us. Housework is just done as and when we have the time - usually every 1 - 2 weeks, but we always tidy the kitchen and bathroom after every use.
  • jc3135rc
    hace 6 años

My husband works abroad and comes home every third week - that is my motivation for doing the housework!

• soozmacrae
    hace 6 años

Always put things back where they came from, clean kitchen and bathroom daily, make beds every day.

• Kash Hyalo
    hace 6 años
    Nothing beats a clean home.
    The rule is I keep my windows closed during the day because it's very dusty where I live, open them through the night. Disposable kitchen towels are best option in my opinion but too costly.
  • Susan Mahon
    hace 6 años

I have a rota for changing sheets. There are 8 of us so it's easy forget a bed or two. So everyone has a week of the month in which their beds are stripped and washed. Seems like I'm forever washing sheets but at least I know everyone is done regularly.

• Kayte Mosse
    hace 6 años

No rules. Love cleaning.

• jacqui7590
    hace 6 años

Three stage process: 1. Each day, tidy - put things away as soon as they are used. Cleaning is less overwhelming, easier and quicker. 2. Cleaning day - Get a cleaning organiser (open box with handle) carry around while you clean - you've always got the right cleaning cloth/product. Include old toothbrush (for base of taps, corners etc) and lots of kitchen paper towel (great for final tap polish) and carrier bags for rubbish. 3. Finally, empty the box of dirty cloths etc and put away, then hoover.

• Monica
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I have a 30 minute/day cleaning routine, a pick clutter up each day rule and my house is literally clean top to bottom at all times. Once you get on top of things its amazing how easy it is and while I block out 30 minutes/day most days I get it done in half that time.

• tiredoldwoman
    hace 6 años

I quite like the ' beat the washing machine' game ! My wash takes 45 mins so I put on some invigorating music and get cleaning . I find that if I allocate a longer period of time it never gets done - I procrastinate .

• kiwimills
    hace 6 años
    white vinegar 1:4 water in spray bottle. great for benches ( laminate ) glass table, windows
    micro fibre cloths...how great are they !!
    sugar soap 1:4 with water for shower screens / bath/ basins ( have three bathrooms. argghhg)
    disinfectant for loo
    toothbrush ( as mentioned ) / scrubbing brush for shower floors
    that's my caddy.
  • Shaz Evans
    hace 6 años

One room to get a "spring clean" on a six weekly basis worked well in my old home. Here in Driffield I fight a seemingly daily fight with the spider population who persist in leaving my new spot like something out of Great Expectations! So I have adapted to running round with a feather duster every other day. Otherwise, clean shower, basin and taps every day (4 bathrooms), bleach is my best pal on the loos! Kitchen every day, make beds every day, lounge dusted weekly, dining room weekly, vacuum every other day. Man room done by man and library in hall gets the feather duster treatment. That's the idea but with fragile health,

I just do the best I can, if nothing more than tidying up as I go, easier to keep clean.

• PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

Avoiding clutter and too much stuff around is key to simplify keeping a home clean. The less you have, the less you have to clean.

• benchwench
    hace 6 años

No shoes beyond the hallway. Best pal is the washing machine. Change tea towels and wash cloths daily (sometimes more often!) All towels are white. All cleaning materials are environmentally friendly because of septic tank. Stone floors and rugs downstairs, carpet upstairs. 2 vacuums - one up one down. Microfibre cloths/Fairy Washing up Liquid/and drying cloths for jobs are absolute necessities - oh and spider fairy. Love clean windows/clean floors and spotless bedding. All easy to keep on top of. Husband likes dishwasher (he's welcome to it) and cooking - except he uses smoke alarm as timer. (Old habits die hard!)

• Alyson Burrell
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Tidy every single day. Always put a room "back to start" ex. Put back throw pillows on sofa, put the remotes back on tv stand, fold the throw. It's easy to let things get out of hand but if you do that little bit extra every time you're in a room it makes things much easier. Never leave a dirty kitchen overnight. Nothing is more depressing than waking up to a mess at breakfast. Make your bed every day. Even if your room isn't the cleanest it will go a long way to improving things, including your mood!

And one last thing. My favourite saying from my waitressing days: If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean!

If you're not doing anything or waiting for someone else etc have a quick tidy. Little things add up and you'll be happier having done them and having an orderly home!

• Alyson Burrell
    hace 6 años

Oh! One more thing! I have a two story home so downstairs under the kitchen sink AND upstairs in the hall closet I keep a cleaning kit. Paper towels, dusting essentials, glass cleaner, disinfectant etc. Everything I may need for a clean. It's amazing how that helps to get you cleaning something rather than thinking, "Ugh...but I have to go downstairs for that..." ! Lazy folks can come up with great ideas! :)

• jcmoo30
    hace 6 años

Put everything away when your finished with it, tidy as you go :-) make beds in the morning and definitely, leave a clean kitchen at night... I love cleaning though... nothing better than a clean house at night and candles lighting... :-)

• PRO
    Andrea Sartori Ltd
    hace 6 años

The 'sock fairy' does her rounds when the children are in bed, and quietly puts them in the washing machine. The same for the dishes in the dishwasher. Then, the timers kick in at wake up time. It is lovely to think that the machines are doing all the work and I haven't even got up yet! Beds made and we're off to do life! No time for cleaning. We hire the person who does the floors windows and the boring stuff, and I make a point of inviting someone once a month when the whole family pitches in and we all go mad and make the house extra beautiful with flowers and such. We're all pretty neat and clean up and tidy as we go, so we don't really live in mess- but I'm not a slave to the Neatnik.

• PRO
    Andrea Sartori Ltd
    hace 6 años

We have a project room and that is always always in a state of creative chaos. We close the door on it when the cleaner comes so that she doesn't tidy up our projects midway. It is important to let loose in one room- within limits. We take off our shoes in this room and never ever eat here, as the creative space is sacred.

• bennettb6
    hace 6 años
    We are refurbishing our home, slowly, when we planned our bedroom I asked for a shelf to put my cleaning items, duster, polish etc, another bedroom I have a space I the wardrobe for place for a cordless vac with a socket to recharge it, saving me the time of carrying my vacuum cleaner. The bathroom is small so we built the toilet and sink into a cupboard which gives me space to store all my cleaning items. Housework has become so much easier having everything already in place.
  • Marisol Garces
    hace 6 años
    Our rules: I clean and tidy up, and my husband opens drawers and takes out everything until he finds what he's looking for. LOL
  • User
    hace 5 años

I recently wrote an article about keeping your home tidy and thought you might find it useful. I have added the link below and hope you find it of some use to you.

https://www.davisandmac.co.uk/news/8-daily-habits-to-keep-a-tidy-house

• Creason
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

If you want install a garage door you need clean your house after that. I found the best cleaning company that has been operating in the household services market for more than a decade. During their existence, their firm earned an impeccable reputation, which she greatly values. Therefore, cleaning apartments from this company is really a first-class service that meets international quality standards

• Ruth House
    el último año

A mantra I use when a room looks like a complete tip and I don't know where to start is: Throw away, put away, wash away.  So you get rid of all the rubbish first, then move things to their proper places before finally cleaning, wiping, washing.

I also use my empty washing basket to collect all the things that need moving back to their homes on a different floor.  This prevents the annoying pile on the stairs scenario.

• benchwench
    el último año

Cloths.......Pink for the sink, blue for the loo - and clean often - those are my only rules on cleaning. Use textured cloths and they go in the washing machine more often than we have hot dinners! Every time I refurbish anywhere I am thinking.....clean lines....get rid of anything that attracts dust or grime...my kitchen used to be full of panels with grime architrave collectors on the doors. I now have sleek wood - just panels and I put the textures and patterns elsewhere on cushions or wallpaper or rugs.

• Olexandr Viun
    el último año

Now it is very important to clean the house quickly. And so that it really was speed cleaning and high-quality cleaning, I decided to read the article https://www.fortador-usa.com/blog/speed-house-cleaning-how-to-clean-house-faster to which the secrets are revealed cleaning. I especially like the steam cleaner that the blogger uses.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.