Houzz Logo Print
mark_jenquine

What to do with this exterrior?

Mark Jenquine
hace 10 años
My wife and I are closing on this, our first, house on May 20th. Do you have any idea how we could increase the curb appeal? Milwaukee WI

Comentarios (36)

• User
    hace 10 años
    I would paint the front door and the insides of all the window trims black, along with the iron rails. Add new lights and some white hydragea bushes in the front landscaping. Take down the awining. If budget allows put in a new driveway.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    If you are looking for a pop of color you could always paint the front door red or yellow or add a red pot of flowers on each side of the front door along with a nice welcome mat.
  • PRO
    Young & Borlik Architects, inc.
    hace 10 años
    Slate veneer on the concrete steps, so they don't look raw. I'd go purple on the door, if you are keeping the rest of the colors... Do you need that storm door?
  • PRO
    Young & Borlik Architects, inc.
    hace 10 años
    Cute little house!
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Such a cute house. The landscaping in the front might be a bit lacking, but it looks like everything isn't completely flushed out yet. You'll have to see what materials can hold up to the cold and snow in Milwaukee, but adding a different material to the stairs and stoop would help. I think a nice coat of gloss black on the front door, storm door and wrought iron railings will help as well. Larger lanterns would help add impact. Are those black window boxes? If so, fill with flowers and add two large black pots or urns filled with flowers on either side of the front door. You don't need to do much, your house is already nice.
  • lakeshorecottage
    hace 10 años
    In addition to what others have mentioned, I think a larger crown moulding over the front window and front door would be nice (white). Love the eyebrow window! I would replace the front door if you can with a solid door and paint it red, a deep gray or even black. I think I would replace the metal railing with wood railing...something more substantial and painted white to match the trim on the house. As for landscaping, I agree with Margo...I love hydrangeas! Limelight hydrangeas are pretty and easy to care for. You might put some boxwoods in front of them in a row to create a border. I think larger lights on either side of the door. I think it would also look great to have two large pots with a boxwood bush in each of them (they do great in pots) on either side of the door as well. You can then add annual flowers for each season around the boxwood bushes to add some color. Congratulations on your new home!
  • kautronki
    hace 10 años
    I love what our farm house has suggested. His visual is amazing!!!
  • PRO
    Ginkgo Leaf Studio
    hace 10 años
    I knew this was a Milwaukee bungalow as soon as I saw your photos! Congratulations on your new home. Everything ourfarmhouse suggested is pretty spot on to bring back the home's original character. I'd suggest a simpler bed edge for the landscape that perhaps mimics the shape of the eyebrow dormer on your home. Having lived in Milwaukee my entire life I'm pretty familiar with this style of home. We recently completed landscape designs for two homes similar to yours, one in Wauwatosa and one in Bayview although we don't have photos of them up on our profile yet. It looks like the previous owner may have started to incorporate some boxwoods which are a great evergreen alternative to the yews we typically see in our area. Depending on what the large tree is on the left, I'd consider removing it as it appears to be very close to the house and is old enough to now be out of scale with your home and yard. It might be an ash which then means it should definitely come out. Happy to talk to you more about your landscape, we also have other trade professionals we can recommend that can help with just suggesting a new paint scheme for your house to a full-on exterior remodel. Congrats again on your new home!
  • handymam
    hace 10 años
    ourfarmhouse, can't even think what I would do after seeing your example! Excellent!
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    hace 10 años
    Nice work, OFH, I like the panelized bay on the exterior of the Living Rm.
  • Mark Jenquine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Ourfarmhouse, that mock up looks awesome. It's pretty crazy to think that our house could look that great with a little work.
  • kathysyard
    hace 10 años
    keep those curved flower beds he proposed too....they are perfect with the eye brow window shape!
  • elcieg
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I would start with your front door. I like the sidelights,,,not the door, the storm or the railings.

Highlight the door.
    Belmont Hill Residence · Más información
  • PRO
    Alair Homes Milwaukee
    hace 10 años
    Great ideas by FarmHouse! We completely agree, and know that replacing that front window box with a complimentary material could be done on a relatively small budget. Craftsmen style mullions (grids) in the windows may also add more dimension as well.
    Also, we completely agree with going with a wooden-Craftsmen style door. It fits so well with the home's original characteristic. Same with the carriage style garage door... perhaps even in a wood grain as well.
    But you have to confirm one thing... We have made bets here in the office, where this adorable home is... Tosa? Shorewood?
  • PRO
    Purcell Quality, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    I'm with Farmhouse, great rendering! If the budget is tight, I would paint the front door a pop of color and plant some flowers in what looks like a window box. Also maybe add in some landscaping with varying heights. Congrats on the new house and best of luck!
  • Patty Eades
    hace 10 años
    Love the house.......and all of Lakeshore cottage and Farmhouse suggestions. I would tend to stay w/the grays ....and not add alot of color....it's adorable
  • Mark Jenquine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Carmel Builders - It's in east Tosa
  • PRO
    Ginkgo Leaf Studio
    hace 10 años
    I was going to guess Tosa! We did the landscape design for the new Bel Air Cantina on North. You'll have to check it out when they open.
  • misecretary
    hace 10 años
    Love your new place....if nothing else, emphasize the eyebrow window--
  • Mark Jenquine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Ginko, I will for sure. Our house is on 68th one and a half blocks north of Bel Air
  • PRO
    Alair Homes Milwaukee
    hace 10 años
    Ginkgo, you always do great work! We can't wait to see what you have done at the new Bel Air.
  • Elaine Downer
    hace 10 años
    First what an adorable house. Second farmhouse did a fantastic job. You are very lucky he responded. I love his ideas!
  • Mark Jenquine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Do you think I could get away with just painting the bump out white instead of adding millwork? Also, I picked out Valspar's Knight's Armor (dark gray) for the door. Should I also paint the sidelights and trim the same color?
  • Mark Jenquine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/3jpg-phvw-vp~1376218

I picked out this palette to use as a guide. The body of the house is similar to the bottom. I purchased planters and painted them the Tangy Orange. I think the door will be similar to the darker gray/blue in the image
  • PRO
    lickity split
    hace 10 años
    I'd just move in this house it looks good to me...that mock up above how ever stole the show
  • crp1234
    hace 10 años
    I love the existing siding color? Any chance you know what the color is that was used?
  • smdrovetto
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Yes! ourfarmhouse idea is fabulous! Boy, you just saved a lot of money not having to pay an architect to do that mock-up!

Also, I haven't investigated them thoroughly, but Sears has a kit that comes with glass, trim, etc, to use to cut-out windows on metal garage doors. They show the doors thathave the sort of embossed small squares that would seem to make it easy.

There is another website: coachhouseaccents.com that sells faux windows and hardware in various styles, including craftsman.

The products are also available on Amazon with some very high reviews, but mixed on the "hardware" which is plastic.
    Worth checking out. You may be able to mix the two. Use the windows, and attach real iron hardware?
  • craljh
    hace 10 años
    take the for sale sign down? Hahahahahaha
  • ourfarmhouse
    hace 10 años
    Mark,
    In my opinion, the change in materials (to millwork) for your bumpout would give you the opportunity to change the color to white. To just paint the siding white could make it look like an unfinished project.

The sidelites and trim should go to white, as the darker color will make it look too heavy. White updates the whole house and keeps it looking fresh.

As for door color...since you have a neutral color house (white and gray), it might be nice to see the door as the pop of color (your tangerine color) for a focal point.

Thank you all for the kind words.
  • Mark Jenquine
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks ourfarmhouse and others. I think we'll take our time on making the right improvements rather than making the wrong ones right now. Since moving in we've refinished the hardwood floors and spent about 8k in the kitchen. Wow, money doesn't stretch very far when it comes to home improvements. Next we'll have our contractor price out the millwork for the front bump out. I agree that just painting it white would seems like an unfinished project. Thanks for talking me off the ledge of cheaping out on a shortcut.
  • Kathy
    hace 10 años
    Nine times out of ten when someone asks to improve curb appeal it is the landscaping that is lacking. Before you change the house I suggest you bump up the landscaping. Pull the borders out wider and add low plantings in front of walk. You can use sparse plantings and more mulch. I think you will be amazed.
    Step into street to decide how much to enlarge borders. CURB appeal!
    I like the overall look of your house already. Congrats!
  • ourfarmhouse
    hace 10 años
    Mark,
    An older home can be a lot of work and a lot of money...but I wouldn't have it any other way. I've learned so much from the couple of old houses we've had. It takes some trial and error, but in the end you can learn how to fix so many problems and create so many cool things.

Let's see...I've learned to:
    1.Put up moulding
    2.Lay pavers
    3.Strip wallpaper
    4.Build cabinets
    5.Lay tile
    6.Put up a tin ceiling
    7.Lay wood flooring
    8.Lay a porch floor, build the columns and put up the railings
    9.Put up drywall and patch numerous holes
    10.Install stone veneer
    11.Do a little plumbing and a little electrical

I could go on, but my point is to challenge you to learn from your contractors, the internet (Houzz), TV shows like This Old House or Holmes on Homes, a handy friend or neighbor, home shows, etc. The reason I say this is that, as time goes on, you'll find yourself doing more and more and keeping more and more in your wallet. Realize what you can't do, but then try to learn what you think you can.
  • PRO
    Eldridge & Patten Design
    hace 10 años
    Give it to me??? Kidding? Beautiful house if its wood paint. If its siding,take it off, or just re clapboard with cedar shingles? I just love it.
  • PRO
    Eldridge & Patten Design
    hace 10 años
    Mark,
    Does ourfarmhouse mean ours as in two? Or name of company ? I don't need a mock I need a Mark. I moved out of my own place into my husbands when we got married its a turn of the century two family In historic district of Boston I left my restored firehouse from 1870's to this place.. I am an art teacher so love restoring but mod not have then skills to do that! What program did you use? any way beautiful work. Great inspiration. I wish a before of the bachelor bathroom. Since you are creative you have an imagination. well picture a bath form 1920 and updated in 96 with the cheapest linoleum floors a claw foot I THOUGHT was beige but was white apparently and now think of your worst nightmare like the window duct taped over so you cannot see in while you shower but apparently did not know they made shower curtains that you cannot see through ??? Personally I though window was broken that was why. Needless to say it looked like a abandoned crack house. I MEAN MOST OF THE HOUSE DID TOO! I call it the giving tree. 3-5 refi's no work done to speak of but nice motorcycle ! Wish I could show you the before pics. Here is the bath I took it down to the horsehair and latts. I want to send you a pic and can you make a magic pic for it as we'll? Here is the bath now. I stuck with classic. B/C it's timeless in style. I have no experience in this just my mind but got a wet saw and wen to work with the summer off.. How to send you a pic if I even can? This is the new bath could not afford drop in so used thresholds around the three sides except the window wall.
  • PRO
    Eldridge & Patten Design
    hace 10 años
    I will add a discussion with before and need help, this is after the nightmare . And thanks, shout out to Hardibacker so heavy I damage my arm permanently. Marble is a entirely different set of tiling rules..hopeful I did okay !

FC
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.